Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Installing Standard VGA

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 8:21:14 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi I'm having a problem installing my new Radeon 9600
card. When I boot up the computer it doesn't set the
display to anything (literally blank and nothing registerd
in the device manager). When I try to install the radeon
drivers it gives me an error saying that I should install
the standard VGA driver first, then install over that. The
problem is when I try to install a new VGA card, I don't
get the standard VGA card option (like the ones we used to
get in the older Wndows version). I only get some ATI
cards which when installed don't work.
I've tried booting up in safe mode and vga mode, but the
same thing happens.
So can anyone help me set up the standard VGA on win XP?

Thanks
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 8:56:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Sounds like an ATI tech support question to me.

R
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 10:11:16 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Normally I would agree, but I've been told by ATI that
this is a Microsoft problem. They informed me that I
should be able to install the standard VGA driver, and if
I can't then I need to contact microsoft.
I just need to be able to install the standard VGA driver
that comes with windows, but I just don't know how to do
it.
Any suggestions?

>-----Original Message-----
>Sounds like an ATI tech support question to me.
>
>R
>.
>
Related resources
May 11, 2004 4:49:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Boot into "Safe Mode" and you will be prompted with an option to use VGA.
From VGA Safe mode, you should easily be able to install the ATI driver
sets.

--
Digger

"Tammer" <tammersalem@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:b43501c4374a$12466f50$a101280a@phx.gbl...
> Hi I'm having a problem installing my new Radeon 9600
> card. When I boot up the computer it doesn't set the
> display to anything (literally blank and nothing registerd
> in the device manager). When I try to install the radeon
> drivers it gives me an error saying that I should install
> the standard VGA driver first, then install over that. The
> problem is when I try to install a new VGA card, I don't
> get the standard VGA card option (like the ones we used to
> get in the older Wndows version). I only get some ATI
> cards which when installed don't work.
> I've tried booting up in safe mode and vga mode, but the
> same thing happens.
> So can anyone help me set up the standard VGA on win XP?
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 8:17:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"Tammer" <tammersalem@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:b43501c4374a$12466f50$a101280a@phx.gbl...
> Hi I'm having a problem installing my new Radeon 9600
> card. When I boot up the computer it doesn't set the
> display to anything (literally blank and nothing registerd
> in the device manager). When I try to install the radeon
> drivers it gives me an error saying that I should install
> the standard VGA driver first, then install over that. The
> problem is when I try to install a new VGA card, I don't
> get the standard VGA card option (like the ones we used to
> get in the older Wndows version). I only get some ATI
> cards which when installed don't work.
> I've tried booting up in safe mode and vga mode, but the
> same thing happens.
> So can anyone help me set up the standard VGA on win XP?
>
> Thanks

Are you replacing another APG card with the Radeon card or are you switching
from a PCI card to an AGP card?

In a situation where you switch from PCI to AGP (or vice-versa), you may
need to go into BIOS and specify that upon bootup, either PCI or AGP be
searched for a display card. If the wrong one is specified, the new card
might not be identified.
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 1:32:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

> Boot into "Safe Mode" and you will be prompted with an option to use VGA.

> > I've tried booting up in safe mode and vga mode, but the
> > same thing happens.

Apparently Safe Mode just isn't. I'm having the same problem; no VGA, no real drivers, but I haven't even tried to restart yet, and Windows hasn't vetoed me on that yet...
I've decided to just reinstall Windows - with all the good stuff on another drive it shouldn't hurt too much. If you don't have a second hard drive I'd HIGHLY recommend it just in case the inevitable happens, and keep all applications and data on that.
My last reinstall was surprisingly smooth - I had to retrieve a couple items I forgot to copy off the desktop, but other than that it was easy enough, and the Start Menu / Shortcuts etc. still worked.
I got my system this way by using DriverCleaner, a freeware "utility" which I highly UNrecommend - the developer has an attitude, making me think he's getting defensive about his inability to make a stable tool. Nice concept - scrubbing old drivers - but several users have found it unsafe, which the developer decided was a Windows problem, just saying that the deletion of VGA is "the wierdest" (complete with misspelling of "weirdest" - a developer who can't type just somehow intimidates me...)

Time to wash the Windows...

David Heinemann.
!