adding second drive wityh pre-installed os

mark

I have xp on one system ( using ntfs ), and windows 98 ( fat32 ) on another
system. If I attach the drive with 98 to the main system having xp on, will
xp recognise the second os and give me the choice at startup ? or do I have
to wipe the second drive, attach, and then install 98 clean ?

HOW TO: Create a Multiple-Boot System in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306559&Product=winxp

How do I install Windows 98/Me after I've installed XP?
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Mark" <wemm44@hotmail.com> wrote in message:

|I have xp on one system ( using ntfs ), and windows 98 ( fat32 ) on another
| system. If I attach the drive with 98 to the main system having xp on, will
| xp recognise the second os and give me the choice at startup ? or do I have
| to wipe the second drive, attach, and then install 98 clean ?

"Mark" <wemm44@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have xp on one system ( using ntfs ), and windows 98 ( fat32 ) on
another
> system. If I attach the drive with 98 to the main system having xp on,
will
> xp recognise the second os and give me the choice at startup ? or do I
have
> to wipe the second drive, attach, and then install 98 clean ?

It is not possible to boot into Win98 if your system
partition uses NTFS. If you wish to multi-boot then
you must use a third-party boot manager such as
XOSL.

mark

I use Partition magic, so this can multiboot ( at next startup ). But can I
keep all the pre written data on the drive including the os, or have I got
to re-install ?

I also have old peripherals that do not have newer drivers for XP, so they
will have to be run under 98 ( and no, generic XP drivers do not work ).
That's ok, and the reason why I want two os, but when booting in XP, it will
say the peripherals are found and searching for new drivers EVERY TIME. Can
this be stopped without having to unplug each time ?

> I use Partition magic, so this can multiboot ( at next startup ). But can
> keep all the pre written data on the drive including the os, or have I got
> to re-install ?
>
> I also have old peripherals that do not have newer drivers for XP, so they
> will have to be run under 98 ( and no, generic XP drivers do not work ).
> That's ok, and the reason why I want two os, but when booting in XP, it
will
> say the peripherals are found and searching for new drivers EVERY TIME.
Can
> this be stopped without having to unplug each time ?

If PartitionMagic can boot into either of two partitions, one being
WinXP on an NTFS disk, the other Win98 on a FAT32 disk, then
it will work. I know that XOSL can do it. Try it out!

I can't answer your question about the peripheras - I've never been
in this situation.