A7V upgradable USB

The documentation that came with the mobo says 'upgradeable USB'. What does
this mean exactly?

I am looking for a way to add USB 2.0 capability to my classic A7V without
resorting to using a USB 2 PCI card as I have used up all my PCI slots. Can
I 'upgrade' to USB 2 from USB 1.1 on this mobo?

Thanks,
Chong

Centurion

Distinguished
May 28, 2004

On Thu, 27 May 2004 14:56:41 +1000, Chong wrote:

> The documentation that came with the mobo says 'upgradeable USB'. What
> does this mean exactly?
>
> I am looking for a way to add USB 2.0 capability to my classic A7V without
> resorting to using a USB 2 PCI card as I have used up all my PCI slots.
> Can I 'upgrade' to USB 2 from USB 1.1 on this mobo?
>
> Thanks,
> Chong

Not without a soldering iron. USB2 is backward compatible with USB1.1 so
unless you need the extra transfer speed, why bother?

James
--
Cloning is the sincerest form of flattery.

That's what I thought. Possible only by replacing the USB chip. It's just
that the docu says 'upgradeable' which led me to think that it has
software/firmware implementation of USB which is highly unlikely. No harm
clarifying :)

I need the extra speed for my USB/firewire external harddisk. Was using
firewire but it hung the whole system (IRQ problem) in the midst of
transferring a large file every time. So I thought giving the USB 1.1 a go
but found it unacceptably slow. I have since moved my firewire cards to
another slot and now it seems stable. I'm happy. Thanks.

Chong