64 bit processors and XP

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Will the 32 bit version of Windows XP Professional work
with the new 64 bit cpu's? I want to build a new pc and
include the AMD Athlon 64 3200+ chip but don't know if
I'd have to buy the 64 bit Windows version as well.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

"chris" <hichris7@hotmail.com> wrote...
> Will the 32 bit version of Windows XP Professional work
> with the new 64 bit cpu's? I want to build a new pc and
> include the AMD Athlon 64 3200+ chip but don't know if
> I'd have to buy the 64 bit Windows version as well.

Yes. I'm running XP Pro on a dual Opteron 246 system.

In fact, unless you have all your 64-bit apps, a 64-bit Windows OS is NOT a
good idea right now; wait until they get the compatibility issues
straightened out...

YES!

"chris" <hichris7@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Will the 32 bit version of Windows XP Professional work
> with the new 64 bit cpu's? I want to build a new pc and
> include the AMD Athlon 64 3200+ chip but don't know if
> I'd have to buy the 64 bit Windows version as well.
>
> Any help would be appreciated
>
> Thanks

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

thanks for the info

What compatibility issues? I am running both WinXp and the BETA WinXP-64
and other than some non-existent 64 bit hardware drivers there are no
compatibility issues. Microsoft is using the AMD Athlon 64 as a testbed for
it's 64 bit code, so THERE ARE NO COMPATIBILITY ISSUES.

Bobby