Random Boot Problems with A7V266-E and Athlon XP 2000+ Pal..

I'm experiencing some random boot problems with a Asus A7V266-E
running with 512 MB DDR and Athlon XP 2000+ Palomino.

Once in a while the system goes into sleep mode without any kind of
error message (I supose it's sleep mode because the power led remains
blinking!!!).

In the last days I have kept the Asus Probe running and I noticed
that the CPU temp reads a limit of 64 C!

Could it be a overheating problem?

In order to exclude some possibilities I've changed the memory
modules and the power suply (Q-Tec 450W PUS)...

Can anyone help me!?

Pedro Lima

mick

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002

"Pedro Lima" <pmartinslima@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm experiencing some random boot problems with a Asus A7V266-E
> running with 512 MB DDR and Athlon XP 2000+ Palomino.
>
> Once in a while the system goes into sleep mode without any kind of
> error message (I supose it's sleep mode because the power led remains
> blinking!!!).
>
> In the last days I have kept the Asus Probe running and I noticed
> that the CPU temp reads a limit of 64 C!
>
> Could it be a overheating problem?
>
> In order to exclude some possibilities I've changed the memory
> modules and the power suply (Q-Tec 450W PUS)...
>
> Can anyone help me!?
>
> Pedro Lima

HI

The cpu temperature looks a bit high there...
Its just possible you have the fan on the cpu the wrong way round, ' can be
done ,I did It '
or the thermal grease is not covering the whole of the chip.

Either way just remove the fan , have a look at the contact area on the pad
on the bottom of the fan if it looks odd then retry reseating it with some
new thermal grease,
do remove all the old pad if you put new grease on.

just check the chip is seated in the socket evenly as well.

Had these problems in the past, drives you nut's cos everything looks ok.

---

Hi,

First of all, I would like to thank, both suggestions.

Recent developments concerning my problem:

- I've added one extra case fan.
Now it works with a Q-TEC PUS with two fans, on chassis fan, a double
PCI slot fan and one huge Thermaltake CPU fan.

- Yesterday I was able to keep it running (at full processor) for 2
hours (it reached a top of 61C).

- Then I replaced the CPU for a Athlon XP 1600+ - did the same test
but it reached a top temp of 60C.

With both tests the machine didn't boot.

I've switched back the CPU and tried to increase the room temp (the
first day I had the boot problems the average temp was 28 C and last
night it was 21C C).
After 2 hours in full processing I stopped it and the temp went down
from 63C to 57C (the new fan reduced the average temp in one
degree)... then the machine booted!!!

The Summer is almost there and the average temp will be between 32C
and 43C.

Today I'm going try something else: increase the room temp with the
athlon 1600+ CPU and Switch the PUS again (a friend of mine borrowed
me one that works without problems).

If it fails again I'm in a blind alley... or, to be more precise, I'm
going to shoot the horse and buy a new one!

Thanks again,

Pedro Lima

"Mick" <mick_pearson@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<kDmtc.25880$FV7.17607@doctor.cableinet.net>...
> "Pedro Lima" <pmartinslima@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm experiencing some random boot problems with a Asus A7V266-E
> > running with 512 MB DDR and Athlon XP 2000+ Palomino.
> >
> > Once in a while the system goes into sleep mode without any kind of
> > error message (I supose it's sleep mode because the power led remains
> > blinking!!!).
> >
> > In the last days I have kept the Asus Probe running and I noticed
> > that the CPU temp reads a limit of 64 C!
> >
> > Could it be a overheating problem?
> >
> > In order to exclude some possibilities I've changed the memory
> > modules and the power suply (Q-Tec 450W PUS)...
> >
> > Can anyone help me!?
> >
> > Pedro Lima
>

> HI
>
> The cpu temperature looks a bit high there...
> Its just possible you have the fan on the cpu the wrong way round, ' can be
> done ,I did It '
> or the thermal grease is not covering the whole of the chip.
>
> Either way just remove the fan , have a look at the contact area on the pad
> on the bottom of the fan if it looks odd then retry reseating it with some
> new thermal grease,
> do remove all the old pad if you put new grease on.
>
> just check the chip is seated in the socket evenly as well.
>
> Had these problems in the past, drives you nut's cos everything looks ok.
>

> ---

Eureka!

After two hours of full processor charge with the Athlon XP 1600+, with the
heating system turned on (the room temp reached 42 C!), the processor
reached 67 ºC and the chassis was reading 41 ºC... and it kept working.

I'm going to assume that my Athlon XP 2000+ decided to give me a pain in the
head.

Thanks again for your help.

Pedro Lima

> Hi,
>
> First of all, I would like to thank, both suggestions.
>
> Recent developments concerning my problem:
>
> - I've added one extra case fan.
> Now it works with a Q-TEC PUS with two fans, on chassis fan, a double
> PCI slot fan and one huge Thermaltake CPU fan.
>
> - Yesterday I was able to keep it running (at full processor) for 2
> hours (it reached a top of 61C).
>
> - Then I replaced the CPU for a Athlon XP 1600+ - did the same test
> but it reached a top temp of 60C.
>
> With both tests the machine didn't boot.
>
> I've switched back the CPU and tried to increase the room temp (the
> first day I had the boot problems the average temp was 28 C and last
> night it was 21C C).
> After 2 hours in full processing I stopped it and the temp went down
> from 63C to 57C (the new fan reduced the average temp in one
> degree)... then the machine booted!!!
>
> The Summer is almost there and the average temp will be between 32C
> and 43C.
>
> Today I'm going try something else: increase the room temp with the
> athlon 1600+ CPU and Switch the PUS again (a friend of mine borrowed
> me one that works without problems).
>
> If it fails again I'm in a blind alley... or, to be more precise, I'm
> going to shoot the horse and buy a new one!
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Pedro Lima
>
> "Mick" <mick_pearson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "Pedro Lima" <pmartinslima@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm experiencing some random boot problems with a Asus A7V266-E
> > > running with 512 MB DDR and Athlon XP 2000+ Palomino.
> > >
> > > Once in a while the system goes into sleep mode without any kind of
> > > error message (I supose it's sleep mode because the power led remains
> > > blinking!!!).
> > >
> > > In the last days I have kept the Asus Probe running and I noticed
> > > that the CPU temp reads a limit of 64 C!
> > >
> > > Could it be a overheating problem?
> > >
> > > In order to exclude some possibilities I've changed the memory
> > > modules and the power suply (Q-Tec 450W PUS)...
> > >
> > > Can anyone help me!?
> > >
> > > Pedro Lima
> >

> > HI
> >
> > The cpu temperature looks a bit high there...
> > Its just possible you have the fan on the cpu the wrong way round, ' can
be
> > done ,I did It '
> > or the thermal grease is not covering the whole of the chip.
> >
> > Either way just remove the fan , have a look at the contact area on the
pad
> > on the bottom of the fan if it looks odd then retry reseating it with
some
> > new thermal grease,
> > do remove all the old pad if you put new grease on.
> >
> > just check the chip is seated in the socket evenly as well.
> >
> > Had these problems in the past, drives you nut's cos everything looks
ok.

> > ---

My cpu is 38c at the momment :).

On Fri, 28 May 2004 20:53:27 +0100, "Pedro Alexandre Condeça Martins