Upgrade

I wish to upgrade my computer (mainboard, HD, and
Processor). Will I have any problems putting Windows XP
Home on a new HD? If so how do I correct them and will
there be fees involved?
7 answers Last reply
More about upgrade

    Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "Matthew Carpenter" <n5mac@earthlink.net> wrote in message:

    |I wish to upgrade my computer (mainboard, HD, and
    | Processor). Will I have any problems putting Windows XP
    | Home on a new HD? If so how do I correct them and will
    | there be fees involved?

    > I wish to upgrade my computer (mainboard, HD, and
    > Processor). Will I have any problems putting Windows XP
    > Home on a new HD? If so how do I correct them and will
    > there be fees involved?

    I assume you're going to clone your old hard drive? If so, after starting
    things up, you'll get a message that you need to re-register your software
    by calling an 800 number, where they'll give you a 25-digit registration
    code you have to input. Please note that XP "calls in" to Microsoft, so you
    cannot use your old drive to create a new computer without purchasing
    another copy of Windows XP.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    We could help you more if you were to list out the type of hardware you have
    in your computer.

    > We could help you more if you were to list out the type of hardware you
    have
    > in your computer.

    You're joking right?

    no mike if you clone the drive you will call the activations/registration dept. and they will inform you your product key isn't valid. if the drive is cloned and you try to install over or use the existing install from the cloned image on different hardware the old hardware hash remains and it recognizes different hardware and prevents activation period. no gettin around it.

    if you move your hard drive to a new machine, and it has xp on it already, then you can use the activate by phone method to transfer the activation over to the new machine as xp will recognize that the hard drive id still matches

    NO! The OP just stated that they wanted to install XP and asked if there
    would be any problems. A list of hardware that they have would help to come
    up with a list of potentional problems, like processor too slow or not
    enough RAM/hard drive space.

    "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message

    > "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
    > > We could help you more if you were to list out the type of hardware you
    > have
    > > in your computer.
    >
    > You're joking right?

    More data is needed here, will it be a fresh new copy of XP? Will it be an old copy of XP that is "cloned"? Will it be an older copy of XP that is just installed on the new hardware (ie. you have the disk but just install it fresh onto the new hdd?)

    In instances 1&3, XP will install just fine on a new system, you should have a look at MaximumPC April 2004 issue, it explains how to set up XP as a fresh install on a system. You will need the latest service pack when installing it though before you put any drivers onto the system to keep it in grand working order. (Cost is free, download from www.microsoft.com/downloads.)

    As far as the "cloned" option goes, IF your using a copy of the O/S with the drivers installed on it, your going to have all kinds of problems because you'll have to strip the drivers out first before you install it into a system with all new equipment anyways, it's always best to start with a fresh install of the O/S, then pull all your programs over afterwards, then format the older drive and use it for backups or something. (The only way you MIGHT be able to get around this is if your upgrades are just that upgrades (ie. Intel based - Intel based, AMD based - AMD based, etc.) Otherwise your going to have all kinds of problems, then you may still have problems. In my experiences with "Cloned" drives, they DO NOT WORK once you upgrade your components in your system. Keeping in mind that upgrades to little things such as memory, video cards, etc will cause havoc with your installation of the operating system. Therefore imho, "cloned" drive upgrade is out of the question!

    Personally, I wouldn't waste my time with XP Home, get the Pro, you'll be glad you did! (Security features of home are lacking to say the least, not to mention that Pro has features that Home lacks, especially if in the future you plan on networking it, or if you have more than one user on the system.)

    For choices with the hardware I would reccommed looking at such places as NForcersHQ.com, AMDForums.com, etc prior to purchasing, to make an informed decision prior to purchasing these things, (if not already done so.)

    ----- Matthew Carpenter wrote: -----

    I wish to upgrade my computer (mainboard, HD, and
    Processor). Will I have any problems putting Windows XP
    Home on a new HD? If so how do I correct them and will
    there be fees involved?

Microsoft HD Windows XP