M-ATX: A7N8X-VM Pro/Cons

Hi,

i'm considering using this MB for my living room multimedia machine. Any
pro/cons good/bad experiences ?

Thanks,
jorgen

fred

In article <L4rtc.6475$XF2.2312@news.get2net.dk>, Jorgen [2400]
<popdreng_væk@popfyr.dk_> writes
>i'm considering using this MB for my living room multimedia machine. Any
>pro/cons good/bad experiences ?

Pros:
Simplicity (potentially)

Cons:
Memory fussy
Untweakable bios
Integrated video steals memory bandwidth

I had a nightmare with this card in an identical application and ended up
having to use a plugin agp card to get a working system.

If you're prepared to shell out on premium memory (and get a buyback
guarantee) then go ahead, but I would go for a non integrated asus (or
other) mobo with a cheapie nvidia TVout graphics card, mine's a GeForce4
MX 440 & it works well. TVout suffers from a bit of PC noise so not perfect
but I will prob sort that with a bit of filtering. nVidia control panel excellent
for full screen clone with loads of nice display options, far better than my
Matrox G450 which it replaces, but admittedly noisier.

HTH
--
fred

HarrY

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Thu, 27 May 2004 23:15:33 GMT, fred <not@for.mail> wrote:

>In article <L4rtc.6475$XF2.2312@news.get2net.dk>, Jorgen [2400]
><popdreng_væk@popfyr.dk_> writes
>>i'm considering using this MB for my living room multimedia machine. Any
>>pro/cons good/bad experiences ?
>>
>Pros:
>Simplicity (potentially)
Yes, I was the easiest PC build I have ever done. Took me less than 2
hours to connect everything up and start installling the OS.

Once I had the drivers installed it ran like a dream.

>Cons:
>Memory fussy
I put a stick of 512Mb crucial 2700 memory in and its fine.

>Untweakable bios
I wouldnt expect anyone would want to use this board for tweaking.
Personally I have been quite impressed with the performance of this
Mobo.

>Integrated video steals memory bandwidth
I have had no issues with bandwidth whilst running various games and
software. Unless you are doing intensive work on this PC I doubt you
will have any issues.

>I had a nightmare with this card in an identical application and ended up
>having to use a plugin agp card to get a working system.
The 8x AGP onboard is way better than a G450. I would say its even
better than a MX 440.

>If you're prepared to shell out on premium memory (and get a buyback
>guarantee) then go ahead, but I would go for a non integrated asus (or
>other) mobo with a cheapie nvidia TVout graphics card, mine's a GeForce4
>MX 440 & it works well. TVout suffers from a bit of PC noise so not perfect
>but I will prob sort that with a bit of filtering. nVidia control panel excellent
>for full screen clone with loads of nice display options, far better than my
>Matrox G450 which it replaces, but admittedly noisier.
>
>HTH

I would buy this board again as its small and fast.

If you want a small form board then this is the one to get as it has
very good performance for a mATX board. If you want top of the range
performance then you'd be better off with a good quality ATX board.

HTH

Harry

fred

In article <b91eb0hqshreetonmcdj8lqj95i5kliemm@4ax.com>, Harry
<A@A.A> writes
>On Thu, 27 May 2004 23:15:33 GMT, fred <not@for.mail> wrote:
>
>>In article <L4rtc.6475$XF2.2312@news.get2net.dk>, Jorgen [2400]
>><popdreng_væk@popfyr.dk_> writes
>>>i'm considering using this MB for my living room multimedia machine. Any
>>>pro/cons good/bad experiences ?
>>>
>>Pros:
>>Simplicity (potentially)
>Yes, I was the easiest PC build I have ever done. Took me less than 2
>hours to connect everything up and start installling the OS.
>
>Once I had the drivers installed it ran like a dream.
>>
>>Cons:
>>Memory fussy
>I put a stick of 512Mb crucial 2700 memory in and its fine.
Fine if that's what you've got (or gone out & bought), but don't expect it to
work with just any stuff you have just lying around.

>>Untweakable bios
>I wouldnt expect anyone would want to use this board for tweaking.
>Personally I have been quite impressed with the performance of this
>Mobo.
Not tweaking for performance, but for stability, no ability eg to put in a
some DDR400 stick you have lying around & run it 333 or 266, no choice
to run sync fsb/mem if you chose to etc.

>>Integrated video steals memory bandwidth
>I have had no issues with bandwidth whilst running various games and
>software. Unless you are doing intensive work on this PC I doubt you
>will have any issues.
>>
>>I had a nightmare with this card in an identical application and ended up
>>having to use a plugin agp card to get a working system.
>The 8x AGP onboard is way better than a G450. I would say its even
>better than a MX 440.
It's only better if it's working, mem spec is waaay tighter when using
integrated video, but as you say you didn't have a problem with Crucial.

>>If you're prepared to shell out on premium memory (and get a buyback
>>guarantee) then go ahead, but I would go for a non integrated asus (or
>>other) mobo with a cheapie nvidia TVout graphics card, mine's a GeForce4
>>MX 440 & it works well. TVout suffers from a bit of PC noise so not perfect
>>but I will prob sort that with a bit of filtering. nVidia control panel excellent
>>for full screen clone with loads of nice display options, far better than my
>>Matrox G450 which it replaces, but admittedly noisier.
>>
>>HTH
>
>I would buy this board again as its small and fast.
>
>If you want a small form board then this is the one to get as it has
>very good performance for a mATX board. If you want top of the range
>performance then you'd be better off with a good quality ATX board.
I think it's a good board too, with loads of good built ins, but I have my
reservations as a good number have had problems with memory.

Check out this thread:
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?s=d14d45fbfc26ad5abcc
675c4bbae45e1&threadid=67997
or have a look on google groups

--
fred

HarrY

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Fri, 28 May 2004 11:07:07 GMT, fred <not@for.mail> wrote:

>In article <b91eb0hqshreetonmcdj8lqj95i5kliemm@4ax.com>, Harry
><A@A.A> writes
>>On Thu, 27 May 2004 23:15:33 GMT, fred <not@for.mail> wrote:
>>
>>>In article <L4rtc.6475$XF2.2312@news.get2net.dk>, Jorgen [2400]
>>><popdreng_væk@popfyr.dk_> writes
>>>>
>>>Pros:
>>>Simplicity (potentially)
>>Yes, I was the easiest PC build I have ever done. Took me less than 2
>>hours to connect everything up and start installling the OS.
>>
>>Once I had the drivers installed it ran like a dream.
>>>
>>>Cons:
>>>Memory fussy
>>I put a stick of 512Mb crucial 2700 memory in and its fine.
>Fine if that's what you've got (or gone out & bought), but don't expect it to
>work with just any stuff you have just lying around.
Fair enough, I have always bought Crucial or TwinMOS and have never
had a problem.

>>>Untweakable bios
>>I wouldnt expect anyone would want to use this board for tweaking.
>>Personally I have been quite impressed with the performance of this
>>Mobo.
>Not tweaking for performance, but for stability, no ability eg to put in a
>some DDR400 stick you have lying around & run it 333 or 266, no choice
>to run sync fsb/mem if you chose to etc.
This board has been very stable. As for adding DDR400, you may have a
point.

>>>Integrated video steals memory bandwidth
>>I have had no issues with bandwidth whilst running various games and
>>software. Unless you are doing intensive work on this PC I doubt you
>>will have any issues.
>>>
>>>I had a nightmare with this card in an identical application and ended up
>>>having to use a plugin agp card to get a working system.
>>The 8x AGP onboard is way better than a G450. I would say its even
>>better than a MX 440.
>It's only better if it's working, mem spec is waaay tighter when using
>integrated video, but as you say you didn't have a problem with Crucial.
>
>>>If you're prepared to shell out on premium memory (and get a buyback
>>>guarantee) then go ahead, but I would go for a non integrated asus (or
>>>other) mobo with a cheapie nvidia TVout graphics card, mine's a GeForce4
>>>MX 440 & it works well. TVout suffers from a bit of PC noise so not perfect
>>>but I will prob sort that with a bit of filtering. nVidia control panel excellent
>>>for full screen clone with loads of nice display options, far better than my
>>>Matrox G450 which it replaces, but admittedly noisier.
>>>
>>>HTH
>>
>>I would buy this board again as its small and fast.
>>
>>If you want a small form board then this is the one to get as it has
>>very good performance for a mATX board. If you want top of the range
>>performance then you'd be better off with a good quality ATX board.
>I think it's a good board too, with loads of good built ins, but I have my
>reservations as a good number have had problems with memory.

>Check out this thread:
>http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?s=d14d45fbfc26ad5abcc
>675c4bbae45e1&threadid=67997
>or have a look on google groups
Well, all I can say I have had a good experience with this board. I
guess as long as you buy reasonable RAM (Crucial, TwinMOS) then you
should have no issues. DDR400 or other brandds may cause issues.

cheers

Harry