Apple Said to Be Considering 14-inch MacBook Air

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I don't know why they are considering to do that but anyway..

Honestly I plan on getting a Mac sometime.

No, I'm not a fanboy or anything I just want to try something new for once. I have like 10 freaking PC's (Some built out of spare parts and soon to have my Raspberry Pi delivered in like 2 weeks) and I just want some variety.
I mean sure, I love Windows because it's universal and it just does everything, but I want to see what other platforms are like and that's just me.

As someone who truly loves technology, I want to experience it all first hand. I own three Android devices, a bunch of PC's and Laptops, old windows mobile devices etc.. I don't care if it's Apple branded or whatever. I just want to try it out.

And no, I'm not building a Hackintosh because I don't have any components in this house that are compatible with the builds.

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
[We're not entirely convinced Apple would consider the above enough of a reason to launch a new breed of MacBook Air]

If there is money in it for Apple, of course they would. The 40% share in the Asian market sounds like the 14 inch would be a good hit in the country. And honestly, I think it would be a good hit in the U.S. too.

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
@joytech22

You say you have no parts to build a hackintosh, yet you are willing to buy a Mac? I honestly think you could get 10 times your moneys worth by building your own comp that you would spend on the Mac and just make it a hackintosh.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]RockNRollz[/nom][We're not entirely convinced Apple would consider the above enough of a reason to launch a new breed of MacBook Air]If there is money in it for Apple, of course they would. The 40% share in the Asian market sounds like the 14 inch would be a good hit in the country. And honestly, I think it would be a good hit in the U.S. too.[/citation]
You forgot that everyone with a 13" Air will run out to buy the 14" Air, just because it's a new product by Apple that they "can't" live without.

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
[citation][nom]Anomalyx[/nom]You forgot that everyone with a 13" Air will run out to buy the 14" Air, just because it's a new product by Apple that they "can't" live without.[/citation]

As much as I would hate to admit to the truth (haha) I know. When I saw the article, I too was to blame and dusted off my 13 inch to see about an exchange.lol All joking aside, I can definetly see where the temptation would kick in to upgrade an inch. As I love my Air, but 13 inches is just too small for me, and it wasn't until a few months ago I found this out. The other sizes are just too big and expensive for my lifestyle. Reason why I think the 14-inch Air would be a nice idea for Apple to consider.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Might sound strange, but I would never buy a Apple desktop, but at the same time would never buy a non-Apple laptop. All of my desktops are self-built Linux/Windows machines, and all of my laptops are Macs.

As a Mac laptop user, I think a 14" Macbook Air would be a hit. I personally wouldn't buy it because I pretty much need a CD/DVD drive, but I can see it selling well.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]whyso[/nom]get rid of the bezel[/citation]
This is the best idea. Keep the tried-and-true 13" chassis, just get rid of most of the bezel surrounding the screen and voila, 14".

frostyfireball

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I don't know why they are considering to do that but anyway...

Honestly I plan on getting a Mac sometime.

No, I'm not a fanboy or anything I just want to try something new for once. I have like 10 freaking PC's (Some built out of spare parts and soon to have my Raspberry Pi delivered in like 2 weeks) and I just want some variety.
I mean sure, I love Windows because it's universal and it just does everything, but I want to see what other platforms are like and that's just me.

As someone who truly loves technology, I want to experience it all first hand. I own three Android devices, a bunch of PC's and Laptops, old windows mobile devices etc.. I don't care if it's Apple branded or whatever. I just want to try it out.

And no, I'm not building a Hackintosh because I don't have any components in this house that are compatible with the builds.[/citation]

It's kinda sad that that you have to say upfront that you aren't a fanboy for wanting an Apple so you don't get downvoted by the haters...

And you won't regret it, especially if you buy it for more casual use so it isn't important for x y and z windows only program to exist.

I bought my first Mac (11" Air) in september, it's a great machine overall for sure; refreshingly different than Windows in many ways and has been rather stable. For the most part it behaves nicely with my otherwise Windows 7 household too which is nice.

Personally I wouldn't even consider a hackintosh if you seriously want to experience OSX and the Apple ecosystem, it isn't at all the same. Half of the experience is in the hardware itself, from the amazingly solid design to the outstanding touchpad and everything in between. Not to mention Windows is simply better on a desktop for all sorts of reasons, so your better off with a Windows desktop anyway. Of course I kinda sound like a fanboy saying that... but it's true.

If you have any interest in the Air, go for the 13" over the 11"; the battery life is nearly an hour better on average and it is more predictable. The battery life I get ranges from 1.5-7 hours depending on the workload, the 13 gets roughly 2.5-8.

halcyon

Splendid
After years and years of owning (and building) Wintel machines I switched to Mac laptops and a Mac Pro desktop. I love them. I'm totally spoiled now. ...and so are my wife and daughter. I just got my wife a 13" Air this past Christmas...she loves it. That said, as someone mentioned, if they could keep the same footprint as the 13" Air and lose the bezel for a 14" that could be sweet and would likely sell well. ...but for me, I like my 15" Pro and its 1680x1050 res. If they gave a 14" Air a 1600x1024 on a bezel-less panel that could be intriguing.

AidanJC

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I don't know why they are considering to do that but anyway..Honestly I plan on getting a Mac sometime.No, I'm not a fanboy or anything I just want to try something new for once. I have like 10 freaking PC's (Some built out of spare parts and soon to have my Raspberry Pi delivered in like 2 weeks) and I just want some variety.I mean sure, I love Windows because it's universal and it just does everything, but I want to see what other platforms are like and that's just me.As someone who truly loves technology, I want to experience it all first hand. I own three Android devices, a bunch of PC's and Laptops, old windows mobile devices etc.. I don't care if it's Apple branded or whatever. I just want to try it out.And no, I'm not building a Hackintosh because I don't have any components in this house that are compatible with the builds.[/citation]

I was in the same situation as you. Day in and day out, working with Windows PC's. I have to manage well over 300 Windows PC's as well as 3 Windows servers for my job. So I wanted to just go out on a limb and try something different. So i bought a 17" MacBook Pro. I haven't had any regrets or looked back since.

I wouldn't really care much for a desktop Mac as i have already finished my gaming rig, but the portable Macs are brilliant.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]whyso[/nom]get rid of the bezel[/citation]

bezzle is only a problem for multi monitor setups, if i have a single monitor, i want some amount of bezzle, i compared next to no bezzle and bezzle in stores, no bezzle looks impressive, but when put next to a tv of equal quality the one with bezzle looks better. the only time i would want bezzleless is if i have 2-6 monitors to setup next to eachother

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]Might sound strange, but I would never buy a Apple desktop, but at the same time would never buy a non-Apple laptop. All of my desktops are self-built Linux/Windows machines, and all of my laptops are Macs.As a Mac laptop user, I think a 14" Macbook Air would be a hit. I personally wouldn't buy it because I pretty much need a CD/DVD drive, but I can see it selling well.[/citation]

That's not so strange.
Apple desktops are only niche products and most Mac users only have Apple laptops. (I think 75% of Macs sold are laptops)

My desktop will be a self-built Windows machine for as long as PC gaming is alive, but if it weren't for gaming I wouldn't touch Windows. (I wouldn't even have a desktop if it weren't for gaming)
I've owned 2 Apple laptops in the last 5-6 years (13"MacBook and 13" MacBook Pro) and I think I won't buy anything else anytime soon. Once my current MacBook Pro needs replacing, I will probably buy a 13" MB Air. Simply don't need an optical drive in my laptop.

halcyon

Splendid
I understand that Apple desktop for the consumer space are not necessarily a good value for most. Maaaaan, but I love my Mac Pro. Yeah, it was expensive as @#$%! and not the best buy, but daggnammit its FAST, smooth, trouble-free and with 6 cores and 24GB of RAM it runs multiple windows virtual machines as well as any Wintel box I've encountered. I expect it to last me a while and continue to run OS X or even OS XI quite well for a good while.

I don't love Apple as a company but I have to admit I like their products. :/

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I was in the same situation as you. Day in and day out, working with Windows PC's. I have to manage well over 300 Windows PC's as well as 3 Windows servers for my job. So I wanted to just go out on a limb and try something different. So i bought a 17" MacBook Pro.

Ummm, sounds like a bit of propaganda by some ambitious iCrappy trying to peddle the Apple handyouwallet jail platform. A smarter move would have been to embrace a truly open operating system like Ubuntu. How do you deal with the no flash and no java restriction of iCrap?

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Ummm, sounds like a bit of propaganda by some ambitious iCrappy trying to peddle the Apple handyouwallet jail platform. A smarter move would have been to embrace a truly open operating system like Ubuntu. How do you deal with the no flash and no java restriction of iCrap?[/citation]

I comprehend...understand the dislike that some have for Apple and their products. ...and I respect that. ...but keep in mind that its not just about the money for everyone. I'm in IT for a living. I maintain systems for a gov't agency's upper VIPs. That said, I do enough troubleshooting at work. No really, I do. So at home I just wanted the most trouble-free easy to use experience for my family and I so I'd not have to work. As much as I enjoy building machines I did't enjoy drivers and troubleshooting and blah blah blah. Yes, I have a Transformer Prime (the hardware is nastily superior to the iPad 2...sorry) and I have a Droid RazR Maxx (...not bad...not bad at all). ...but I must admit that the Apple products are just more seamless and easy to use and there's almost a guarantee that its just gonna work as intended. In my personal life I've come to want that and the more I use non-Apple products (something I WILL continue to do) the more I appreciate Apple for that they do bring to the table.

...perhaps I've just got old in my old age. Now give me that 14" MacBook Air with a bezel-less 1600x1024 display please. Thanks.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]How do you deal with the no flash and no java restriction of iCrap?[/citation]

There are no flash or java restrictions on Mac OS. Java was actually always well integrated into Mac OS X.
The JRE and JDK are provided directly by Apple and Flash, while no longer preinstalled on Mac OS X, can be downloaded from Adobe just like on Windows.

halcyon

Splendid
iCrap. LOL. Well for it to be crap it sure is trouble free and synchs music/playlists properly this time and EVERY time. I wish I could say the same for my RazR Maxx and Transformer Prime. Double Twist just isn't cutting it.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I don't know why they are considering to do that but anyway..Honestly I plan on getting a Mac sometime.No, I'm not a fanboy or anything I just want to try something new for once. I have like 10 freaking PC's (Some built out of spare parts and soon to have my Raspberry Pi delivered in like 2 weeks) and I just want some variety.I mean sure, I love Windows because it's universal and it just does everything, but I want to see what other platforms are like and that's just me.As someone who truly loves technology, I want to experience it all first hand. I own three Android devices, a bunch of PC's and Laptops, old windows mobile devices etc.. I don't care if it's Apple branded or whatever. I just want to try it out.And no, I'm not building a Hackintosh because I don't have any components in this house that are compatible with the builds.[/citation]

You can build a Hackintosh for half the price of the specs you are willing to pay crApple for. The only worthy thing Apple has produced in my opinion, is their operating system.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]northwestern[/nom]You can build a Hackintosh for half the price of the specs you are willing to pay crApple for. The only worthy thing Apple has produced in my opinion, is their operating system.[/citation]

...and fight with compatibility and updates for a long time to come. If I were to build a hackintosh it'd not be to save money but because I felt I needed to further my problem solving and tinkering skills...which is not a bad reason in itself. I'm just say'n. Also, I kinda like how clean and wireless my Mac Pro's internals are.

Status
Not open for further replies.