Scanner, UPS, keyboard on USB1 Web Cam on USB 2?

May 11, 2004 4:03:04 PM

I have an ABIT Nforce2 motherboard with AMD 2500 + Processor. My PC fully
supports both USB 1 and USB 2. I have a 4 1/2 year old monitor, Microsoft
Office keyboard plugged into keyboard port, Trackball Optical Mouse plugged
into PS2 port, and HP Scanjet 5400c using USB 1, and UPS using USB 1, HP
Deskjet printer using USB1. I also have a Logitech ClickSmart 510 USB2
camera that I have not yet installed. I had an older PC that I previously
had the camera and scanner both installed on and had trouble with the camera
and scanner both using the twain driver. The old PC however, did not
support USB2. I am not sure now whether the conflict was caused by the PC
not supporting USB2 on the old PC, or that both devices were trying to use
the twain driver at startup--both devices have items that load at startup.

I have just reload XP Professional on my new PC and I would like to install
the camera, but everything right now is working very well, including the
scanner, and I do not want to screw things up if it is likely that there
will be a problem with running hardware that is using both USB1 and USB2 at
the same time, and both items use the twain driver also.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 4:03:05 PM

Hi Lori,

You can "create a restore point" with System Restore prior to installing
drivers.
(Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools)

If you find the new hardware or software causes issues with your computer
you can run System Restore and return your system to the previous state with
the "Restore my computer to an earlier time" option.

I have an Asus A7N8X deluxe both at work and at home that I've connected
both types of USB devices without issue.

Also note; nVidia's site states you must install XP Service Pack 1 prior to
installing the Forceware Unified Driver in order for USB 2.0 to function
correctly.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_4.24 (these are the latest
drivers released by nVidia for the nForce chipset.)

Hope this helps & please post any issues you experience,

--
-Anthony Procissi [MSFT]
US-Application Experience & Compatibility

"Lori Kuiper" <Lori_478@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have an ABIT Nforce2 motherboard with AMD 2500 + Processor. My PC fully
> supports both USB 1 and USB 2. I have a 4 1/2 year old monitor, Microsoft
> Office keyboard plugged into keyboard port, Trackball Optical Mouse
> plugged
> into PS2 port, and HP Scanjet 5400c using USB 1, and UPS using USB 1, HP
> Deskjet printer using USB1. I also have a Logitech ClickSmart 510 USB2
> camera that I have not yet installed. I had an older PC that I previously
> had the camera and scanner both installed on and had trouble with the
> camera
> and scanner both using the twain driver. The old PC however, did not
> support USB2. I am not sure now whether the conflict was caused by the PC
> not supporting USB2 on the old PC, or that both devices were trying to use
> the twain driver at startup--both devices have items that load at startup.
>
> I have just reload XP Professional on my new PC and I would like to
> install
> the camera, but everything right now is working very well, including the
> scanner, and I do not want to screw things up if it is likely that there
> will be a problem with running hardware that is using both USB1 and USB2
> at
> the same time, and both items use the twain driver also.
>
> Any feedback would be appreciated.

Anonymous
May 12, 2004 12:38:59 PM

Thank you for the reply! I did install SP1 before loading NForce drivers.
Right now I am using the older NForce chipset drivers that came with the
system because I have an ATI 9200 SE video card and the newer NForce drivers
off the NVIDIA site previously contained the NVIDIA video drivers which were
causing problems with my Video card.

Right now I am not having any trouble with the older chipset drivers so I
am hesitant to upgrade to the newer ones.

I will probably try connecting my camera & if all works OK, then I won't
upgrade, but if I have any trouble with it then I will load the newer
chipset drivers. I noticed that the newest release does not seem to include
the video driver so it should work better with my system should I chose to
load it.

Have you experienced any trouble with the new video drivers? Are they
working better than the previous release?
"Anthony Procissi [MSFT]" <procissi@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Lori,
>
> You can "create a restore point" with System Restore prior to installing
> drivers.
> (Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools)
>
> If you find the new hardware or software causes issues with your computer
> you can run System Restore and return your system to the previous state
with
> the "Restore my computer to an earlier time" option.
>
> I have an Asus A7N8X deluxe both at work and at home that I've connected
> both types of USB devices without issue.
>
> Also note; nVidia's site states you must install XP Service Pack 1 prior
> installing the Forceware Unified Driver in order for USB 2.0 to function
> correctly.
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_4.24 (these are the latest
> drivers released by nVidia for the nForce chipset.)
>
> Hope this helps & please post any issues you experience,
>
> --
> -Anthony Procissi [MSFT]
> US-Application Experience & Compatibility

..
> "Lori Kuiper" <Lori_478@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have an ABIT Nforce2 motherboard with AMD 2500 + Processor. My PC
fully
> > supports both USB 1 and USB 2. I have a 4 1/2 year old monitor,
Microsoft
> > Office keyboard plugged into keyboard port, Trackball Optical Mouse
> > plugged
> > into PS2 port, and HP Scanjet 5400c using USB 1, and UPS using USB 1, HP
> > Deskjet printer using USB1. I also have a Logitech ClickSmart 510 USB2
> > camera that I have not yet installed. I had an older PC that I
previously
> > had the camera and scanner both installed on and had trouble with the
> > camera
> > and scanner both using the twain driver. The old PC however, did not
> > support USB2. I am not sure now whether the conflict was caused by the
PC
> > not supporting USB2 on the old PC, or that both devices were trying to
use
> > the twain driver at startup--both devices have items that load at
startup.

> > I have just reload XP Professional on my new PC and I would like to
> > install
> > the camera, but everything right now is working very well, including the
> > scanner, and I do not want to screw things up if it is likely that there
> > will be a problem with running hardware that is using both USB1 and USB2
> > at
> > the same time, and both items use the twain driver also.
> >
> > Any feedback would be appreciated.

May 12, 2004 2:28:21 PM

Hi Lori,

I haven't noted any problems or improvements with the new drivers. The page
does list all the changes and it looks like they've added quite a bit.
Personally, I only apply the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy to
Bios upgrades and always opt for the latest drivers on everything else...
but my days are spent trying to FIND problems with computers, not avoid them
:)
--

news:o IqrnZCOEHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>> > support USB2. I am not sure now whether the conflict was caused by the
> PC
>> > not supporting USB2 on the old PC, or that both devices were trying to
> use
>> > the twain driver at startup--both devices have items that load at
> startup.
>> >
>> > I have just reload XP Professional on my new PC and I would like to
>> > install
>> > the camera, but everything right now is working very well, including
>> > the
>> > scanner, and I do not want to screw things up if it is likely that
>> > there
>> > will be a problem with running hardware that is using both USB1 and
>> > USB2
>> > at
>> > the same time, and both items use the twain driver also.

May 14, 2004 9:48:14 AM

If I load the new drivers, do I need to uninstall the older ones or will the
driver files uninstall or update the older files without my having to mess
with the old ones.

Also, do I need to also uninstall my ATI Video card drivers? I know the
instructions do say to uninstall any NVIDIA video drivers before installing?

> [...]
> >> you can run System Restore and return your system to the previous state
> > with
> >> the "Restore my computer to an earlier time" option.
> >>
> >> I have an Asus A7N8X deluxe both at work and at home that I've
connected
> >> both types of USB devices without issue.
> >>
> >> Also note; nVidia's site states you must install XP Service Pack 1
prior
> >> installing the Forceware Unified Driver in order for USB 2.0 to
function
> >> correctly.
> >> http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_4.24 (these are the
latest
> >> drivers released by nVidia for the nForce chipset.)
> >>
> >> Hope this helps & please post any issues you experience,
> >>
> >> --
> >> -Anthony Procissi [MSFT]
> >> US-Application Experience & Compatibility

May 14, 2004 8:51:46 PM

There is no reason to uninstall the ATI video drivers; and don't bother with
the existing nVidia drivers unless the readme file or setup specifically
directs you to uninstall them.

--

> [...]
>> > drivers
>> > off the NVIDIA site previously contained the NVIDIA video drivers which
>> > were
>> > causing problems with my Video card.
>> >
>> > Right now I am not having any trouble with the older chipset drivers
>> > so
>> > am hesitant to upgrade to the newer ones.
>> >
>> > I will probably try connecting my camera & if all works OK, then I
>> > won't
>> > upgrade, but if I have any trouble with it then I will load the newer
>> > chipset drivers. I noticed that the newest release does not seem to
>> > include
>> > the video driver so it should work better with my system should I chose
>> > load it.
>> >
>> > Have you experienced any trouble with the new video drivers? Are they
>> > working better than the previous release?

May 16, 2004 6:37:45 PM

Thanks for the info. I will give the new drivers a try after I create a
restore point!

> There is no reason to uninstall the ATI video drivers; and don't bother
with
> the existing nVidia drivers unless the readme file or setup specifically
> directs you to uninstall them.
>
> --
> -Anthony Procissi [MSFT]
> US-Application Experience & Compatibility

rights.
> "Lori Kuiper" <Lori_478@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > If I load the new drivers, do I need to uninstall the older ones or will
> > the
> > driver files uninstall or update the older files without my having to
mess
> > with the old ones.
> >
> > Also, do I need to also uninstall my ATI Video card drivers? I know the
> > instructions do say to uninstall any NVIDIA video drivers before
> > installing?
> >
> > "Anthony Procissi [MSFT]" <procissi@online.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> >> Hi Lori,
> >>
> >> I haven't noted any problems or improvements with the new drivers. The
> > page
> >> does list all the changes and it looks like they've added quite a bit.
> >> Personally, I only apply the "if it ain't broke don't fix it"
philosophy
> >> Bios upgrades and always opt for the latest drivers on everything
else...
> >> but my days are spent trying to FIND problems with computers, not avoid
> > them
> >> :)
> >> --
> >> -Anthony Procissi [MSFT]
> >> US-Application Experience & Compatibility

> > rights.
> >> "Lori Kuiper" <Lori_478@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> news:o IqrnZCOEHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > drivers.