are solvent printers dangerous? Is Eco-solvent printer a s..

Status
Not open for further replies.

We are planing to buy one wide (60") printer that is solvent based
(mimaki JV3 or Colorspan), but before we do so, I would like to find
out how dangerous are solvent fumes.

I know we can build a ventilation system, but still manipulation with
prints, inks and printer itself will leveave person who operates
printer in exposure of solvents, and in some extend also other people
in the office.

Thank you for your inputs,
Radim Schreiber

In article <36c1853d.0404161055.40e78379@posting.google.com>,
nospam_google@radim.org (Radim Schreiber) wrote:

> We are planing to buy one wide (60") printer that is solvent based
> (mimaki JV3 or Colorspan), but before we do so, I would like to find
> out how dangerous are solvent fumes.

Very.

From the Mimaki Web site: 'It stimulates human skin and mocous membrane.
When you absorb it, it may anesthetize and damage your liver or renis.
Poisoning to die has not been reported, but some cases of deadly explosion
have been reported.' So now you know! :)

Also: 'An air exhauster or an air cleaner is necessary.'

A lot of the newer solvent-based printers, such as the Rolands, have
built-in systems to stop the fumes entering the work environment, so you
wouldn't need an extraction system. Maybe they'd be worth a look.

Jon.