PC3200 RAM

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
May 28, 2004 3:53:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Hi

I have a new PC which came with 2x256MB Samsung PC3200DDR RAM modules,
reported as 400mhz.

I have just run and installed CPU-Z which states the Memory Frequency is
199.9mhz. Am I missing something obvious, like the DDR means I double that
value?

Also, in the CPU section, it states that he FSB is 199.9mhz, (but the bus
speed is 799.6mhz), when the board is an Asus P4P800SE with an 800Mhz FSB.

I'm new to all this, I think I just need it explaining!!

(WinXP Home, P4 3.2, 512MB PC3200, 200GB Maxtor SATA, GF5700 256mb AGP)

Thanks.

Nik.

Remove S P A M K I L L From my Email address to reply to me Directly

More about : pc3200 ram

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 28, 2004 5:53:31 PM

"Nik" <nik.walmsleySPAMKILL@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have a new PC which came with 2x256MB Samsung PC3200DDR RAM modules,
> reported as 400mhz.
>
> I have just run and installed CPU-Z which states the Memory Frequency is
> 199.9mhz. Am I missing something obvious, like the DDR means I double that
> value?
>
> Also, in the CPU section, it states that he FSB is 199.9mhz, (but the bus
> speed is 799.6mhz), when the board is an Asus P4P800SE with an 800Mhz FSB.
>
> I'm new to all this, I think I just need it explaining!!
>
> (WinXP Home, P4 3.2, 512MB PC3200, 200GB Maxtor SATA, GF5700 256mb AGP)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Nik.

The memory frequency is indeed 200 MHz, but because it's DDR (dual data
rate), it is commonly said to be 400 MHz.
If you put 2 identical memory modules on you Asus motherboard, you will
achieve dual channel DDR and the speed is said to be 800 MHz, although the
bus speed is still 200 MHz.
The reported speeds of 799.6 and 199.9 MHz are the real values. 800 and 200
MHz are "rounded" values.
May 28, 2004 6:52:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Great, Thanks for that.

Nik

"ElJerid" <s.vanderhaeghen.nospam@pandora.be> wrote in message

> "Nik" <nik.walmsleySPAMKILL@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I have a new PC which came with 2x256MB Samsung PC3200DDR RAM modules,
> > reported as 400mhz.
> >
> > I have just run and installed CPU-Z which states the Memory Frequency is
> > 199.9mhz. Am I missing something obvious, like the DDR means I double
that
> > value?
> >
> > Also, in the CPU section, it states that he FSB is 199.9mhz, (but the
bus
> > speed is 799.6mhz), when the board is an Asus P4P800SE with an 800Mhz
FSB.

> > I'm new to all this, I think I just need it explaining!!
> >
> > (WinXP Home, P4 3.2, 512MB PC3200, 200GB Maxtor SATA, GF5700 256mb AGP)
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Nik.
>
> The memory frequency is indeed 200 MHz, but because it's DDR (dual data
> rate), it is commonly said to be 400 MHz.
> If you put 2 identical memory modules on you Asus motherboard, you will
> achieve dual channel DDR and the speed is said to be 800 MHz, although the
> bus speed is still 200 MHz.
> The reported speeds of 799.6 and 199.9 MHz are the real values. 800 and
200
> MHz are "rounded" values.

a b V Motherboard
May 29, 2004 3:17:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

The system's FSB is 200 MHz.
The CPU is a P4 which runs INTERNALLY at 4 x the FSB = 800 MHz.
The DDR (Duble Data Rate memory runs at double the FSB, thus at 400 MHz.

Bottom line is everything is fine.

--
DaveW

"Nik" <nik.walmsleySPAMKILL@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have a new PC which came with 2x256MB Samsung PC3200DDR RAM modules,
> reported as 400mhz.
>
> I have just run and installed CPU-Z which states the Memory Frequency is
> 199.9mhz. Am I missing something obvious, like the DDR means I double that
> value?
>
> Also, in the CPU section, it states that he FSB is 199.9mhz, (but the bus
> speed is 799.6mhz), when the board is an Asus P4P800SE with an 800Mhz FSB.
>
> I'm new to all this, I think I just need it explaining!!
>
> (WinXP Home, P4 3.2, 512MB PC3200, 200GB Maxtor SATA, GF5700 256mb AGP)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Nik.

> Remove S P A M K I L L From my Email address to reply to me Directly

May 29, 2004 12:16:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Thanks for that

I'm new to all this, I just wanted to know the manufacturer hadn't screwed
up on the specs!

Cheers

Nik

news:D MPtc.5971$pt3.4176@attbi_s03...