PC3200 RAM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Hi

I have a new PC which came with 2x256MB Samsung PC3200DDR RAM modules,
reported as 400mhz.

I have just run and installed CPU-Z which states the Memory Frequency is
199.9mhz. Am I missing something obvious, like the DDR means I double that
value?

Also, in the CPU section, it states that he FSB is 199.9mhz, (but the bus
speed is 799.6mhz), when the board is an Asus P4P800SE with an 800Mhz FSB.

I'm new to all this, I think I just need it explaining!!

(WinXP Home, P4 3.2, 512MB PC3200, 200GB Maxtor SATA, GF5700 256mb AGP)

Thanks.

Nik.

Remove S P A M K I L L From my Email address to reply to me Directly
More about pc3200
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "Nik" <nik.walmsleySPAMKILL@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have a new PC which came with 2x256MB Samsung PC3200DDR RAM modules,
    > reported as 400mhz.
    >
    > I have just run and installed CPU-Z which states the Memory Frequency is
    > 199.9mhz. Am I missing something obvious, like the DDR means I double that
    > value?
    >
    > Also, in the CPU section, it states that he FSB is 199.9mhz, (but the bus
    > speed is 799.6mhz), when the board is an Asus P4P800SE with an 800Mhz FSB.
    >
    > I'm new to all this, I think I just need it explaining!!
    >
    > (WinXP Home, P4 3.2, 512MB PC3200, 200GB Maxtor SATA, GF5700 256mb AGP)
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Nik.

    The memory frequency is indeed 200 MHz, but because it's DDR (dual data
    rate), it is commonly said to be 400 MHz.
    If you put 2 identical memory modules on you Asus motherboard, you will
    achieve dual channel DDR and the speed is said to be 800 MHz, although the
    bus speed is still 200 MHz.
    The reported speeds of 799.6 and 199.9 MHz are the real values. 800 and 200
    MHz are "rounded" values.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Great, Thanks for that.

    Nik

    "ElJerid" <s.vanderhaeghen.nospam@pandora.be> wrote in message

    > "Nik" <nik.walmsleySPAMKILL@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I have a new PC which came with 2x256MB Samsung PC3200DDR RAM modules,
    > > reported as 400mhz.
    > >
    > > I have just run and installed CPU-Z which states the Memory Frequency is
    > > 199.9mhz. Am I missing something obvious, like the DDR means I double
    that
    > > value?
    > >
    > > Also, in the CPU section, it states that he FSB is 199.9mhz, (but the
    bus
    > > speed is 799.6mhz), when the board is an Asus P4P800SE with an 800Mhz
    FSB.

    > > I'm new to all this, I think I just need it explaining!!
    > >
    > > (WinXP Home, P4 3.2, 512MB PC3200, 200GB Maxtor SATA, GF5700 256mb AGP)
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Nik.
    >
    > The memory frequency is indeed 200 MHz, but because it's DDR (dual data
    > rate), it is commonly said to be 400 MHz.
    > If you put 2 identical memory modules on you Asus motherboard, you will
    > achieve dual channel DDR and the speed is said to be 800 MHz, although the
    > bus speed is still 200 MHz.
    > The reported speeds of 799.6 and 199.9 MHz are the real values. 800 and
    200
    > MHz are "rounded" values.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    The system's FSB is 200 MHz.
    The CPU is a P4 which runs INTERNALLY at 4 x the FSB = 800 MHz.
    The DDR (Duble Data Rate memory runs at double the FSB, thus at 400 MHz.

    Bottom line is everything is fine.

    --
    DaveW

    "Nik" <nik.walmsleySPAMKILL@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have a new PC which came with 2x256MB Samsung PC3200DDR RAM modules,
    > reported as 400mhz.
    >
    > I have just run and installed CPU-Z which states the Memory Frequency is
    > 199.9mhz. Am I missing something obvious, like the DDR means I double that
    > value?
    >
    > Also, in the CPU section, it states that he FSB is 199.9mhz, (but the bus
    > speed is 799.6mhz), when the board is an Asus P4P800SE with an 800Mhz FSB.
    >
    > I'm new to all this, I think I just need it explaining!!
    >
    > (WinXP Home, P4 3.2, 512MB PC3200, 200GB Maxtor SATA, GF5700 256mb AGP)
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Nik.

    > Remove S P A M K I L L From my Email address to reply to me Directly

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Thanks for that

    I'm new to all this, I just wanted to know the manufacturer hadn't screwed
    up on the specs!

    Cheers

    Nik

    > The system's FSB is 200 MHz.
    > The CPU is a P4 which runs INTERNALLY at 4 x the FSB = 800 MHz.
    > The DDR (Duble Data Rate memory runs at double the FSB, thus at 400 MHz.
    >
    > Bottom line is everything is fine.
    >
    > --
    > DaveW
    >

    > "Nik" <nik.walmsleySPAMKILL@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I have a new PC which came with 2x256MB Samsung PC3200DDR RAM modules,
    > > reported as 400mhz.
    > >
    > > I have just run and installed CPU-Z which states the Memory Frequency is
    > > 199.9mhz. Am I missing something obvious, like the DDR means I double
    that
    > > value?
    > >
    > > Also, in the CPU section, it states that he FSB is 199.9mhz, (but the
    bus
    > > speed is 799.6mhz), when the board is an Asus P4P800SE with an 800Mhz
    FSB.

    > > I'm new to all this, I think I just need it explaining!!
    > >
    > > (WinXP Home, P4 3.2, 512MB PC3200, 200GB Maxtor SATA, GF5700 256mb AGP)
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Nik.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Remove S P A M K I L L From my Email address to reply to me Directly

Asus RAM Motherboards