What ASUS Petium board is compared to.........????

I have a ASUS AMD A7N8X-Deluxe. I also have parts laying around to
build another PC except the mobo and CPU which I accidentally toasted
(it was a AMD platform).

I wish to know the equivalent Pentium ASUS mobo to the ASUS AMD
A7N8X-Deluxe( it is the best AMD mobo I've ever had) or what ASUS is a
good Petium board. I don't want to spend a lot of money but I'm
curious to experiment a Pentium system and do wish to have some
quality. I plan on using it for storage, media rendering and to free
up my main computer (I'll be using a KVM SWITCH) so I can have access
my main PC at any time while my future system is doing the work. Also
I could use a recommendation as to which Pentium possessor to get.
Every other part I already have to build a system.

Thanks!

Paul

Splendid

In article <b8jeb0di0uelt62hmf3lafekfbfi6828o5@4ax.com>, Dunny Rummy
<fdsss@dfdsf.com> wrote:

> I have a ASUS AMD A7N8X-Deluxe. I also have parts laying around to
> build another PC except the mobo and CPU which I accidentally toasted
> (it was a AMD platform).
>
> I wish to know the equivalent Pentium ASUS mobo to the ASUS AMD
> A7N8X-Deluxe( it is the best AMD mobo I've ever had) or what ASUS is a
> good Petium board. I don't want to spend a lot of money but I'm
> curious to experiment a Pentium system and do wish to have some
> quality. I plan on using it for storage, media rendering and to free
> up my main computer (I'll be using a KVM SWITCH) so I can have access
> my main PC at any time while my future system is doing the work. Also
> I could use a recommendation as to which Pentium possessor to get.
> Every other part I already have to build a system.
>
> Thanks!

First of all, you can find some really capable AMD chips for less than
a decent Pentium chip, so economics go out the window right there.

If you have to have one, just for benchmarking purposes, then shop for
a motherboard based on the number of DIMM slots you need.

For example, a P4PE with 845PE is considered "over the hill" by many,
but the Cachemem benchmark results show it has comparable or better
memory latency than the current batch of 875P/865PE based dual
channel boards. This holds only when the board is run with a FSB800
processor and one and only one stick of DDR400 memory. I don't
know if I would buy a niche solution like this, as you might be
tempted to put more memory in it later. You could use one 512MB
stick or a more expensive (unstacked) 1GB dimm with this.

The table at the bottom of this page compares the 875/865 boards,
although the table is not updated with all current product. There
is an 848P single channel product P4P800S, that isn't in the table.

http://www.asuscom.de/support/FAQ/faq117_P4X800.htm

A P4 2.8C FSB800 is the best processor, from a cost perspective,
and you can always overclock it. (See cpudatabase.com for some
data on overclocking speeds.)

This is just a general overview post:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=nospam-2305040312350001%40192.168.1.177

An A7N8X-X plus a Mobile Athlon and some overclocking, is a
cost effective means to building a fast computer. The Pentium
products are like driving a Cadillac, you spend a lot more, but
with the traffic in the city, you get to your destination at the
same time as the Honda Civic.

HTH,
Paul

Thanks for the advise. I guess I'll stay with AMD. I do have some DDR
2100 laying around. If I go AMD then I'll just upgrade my main system
to a ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe with a AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 400FSB and Corsair
twinx XMS3200LLPT 400MHz 1GB.