What ASUS Petium board is compared to.........????

I have a ASUS AMD A7N8X-Deluxe. I also have parts laying around to
build another PC except the mobo and CPU which I accidentally toasted
(it was a AMD platform).

I wish to know the equivalent Pentium ASUS mobo to the ASUS AMD
A7N8X-Deluxe( it is the best AMD mobo I've ever had) or what ASUS is a
good Petium board. I don't want to spend a lot of money but I'm
curious to experiment a Pentium system and do wish to have some
quality. I plan on using it for storage, media rendering and to free
up my main computer (I'll be using a KVM SWITCH) so I can have access
my main PC at any time while my future system is doing the work. Also
I could use a recommendation as to which Pentium possessor to get.
Every other part I already have to build a system.

Thanks!
2 answers Last reply
More about what asus petium board compared

    In article <b8jeb0di0uelt62hmf3lafekfbfi6828o5@4ax.com>, Dunny Rummy
    <fdsss@dfdsf.com> wrote:

    > I have a ASUS AMD A7N8X-Deluxe. I also have parts laying around to
    > build another PC except the mobo and CPU which I accidentally toasted
    > (it was a AMD platform).
    >
    > I wish to know the equivalent Pentium ASUS mobo to the ASUS AMD
    > A7N8X-Deluxe( it is the best AMD mobo I've ever had) or what ASUS is a
    > good Petium board. I don't want to spend a lot of money but I'm
    > curious to experiment a Pentium system and do wish to have some
    > quality. I plan on using it for storage, media rendering and to free
    > up my main computer (I'll be using a KVM SWITCH) so I can have access
    > my main PC at any time while my future system is doing the work. Also
    > I could use a recommendation as to which Pentium possessor to get.
    > Every other part I already have to build a system.
    >
    > Thanks!

    First of all, you can find some really capable AMD chips for less than
    a decent Pentium chip, so economics go out the window right there.

    If you have to have one, just for benchmarking purposes, then shop for
    a motherboard based on the number of DIMM slots you need.

    For example, a P4PE with 845PE is considered "over the hill" by many,
    but the Cachemem benchmark results show it has comparable or better
    memory latency than the current batch of 875P/865PE based dual
    channel boards. This holds only when the board is run with a FSB800
    processor and one and only one stick of DDR400 memory. I don't
    know if I would buy a niche solution like this, as you might be
    tempted to put more memory in it later. You could use one 512MB
    stick or a more expensive (unstacked) 1GB dimm with this.

    The table at the bottom of this page compares the 875/865 boards,
    although the table is not updated with all current product. There
    is an 848P single channel product P4P800S, that isn't in the table.

    http://www.asuscom.de/support/FAQ/faq117_P4X800.htm

    A P4 2.8C FSB800 is the best processor, from a cost perspective,
    and you can always overclock it. (See cpudatabase.com for some
    data on overclocking speeds.)

    This is just a general overview post:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=nospam-2305040312350001%40192.168.1.177

    An A7N8X-X plus a Mobile Athlon and some overclocking, is a
    cost effective means to building a fast computer. The Pentium
    products are like driving a Cadillac, you spend a lot more, but
    with the traffic in the city, you get to your destination at the
    same time as the Honda Civic.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Thanks for the advise. I guess I'll stay with AMD. I do have some DDR
    2100 laying around. If I go AMD then I'll just upgrade my main system
    to a ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe with a AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 400FSB and Corsair
    twinx XMS3200LLPT 400MHz 1GB.

Asus Pentium AMD Motherboards