Video Problems

Hello,

I'm having trouble updating the video driver on a Toshiba laptop. The video card is an NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go, and currently XP is using the standard VGA driver. When I try to update driver, or even delete the VGA and search for new, I get this message:

"CANNOT INSTALL THIS HARDWARE

There was a problem installing this hardware:

NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go (Toshiba)

An error occurred during the installation of the device

The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request."

The driver worked fine on this machine up until about a month ago. I'm thinking it is more a Windows installer problem than a driver problem, but I don't know where to go from here. Any suggestions??

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about video problems

    The laptop video card is not exactly an NVIDIA cared, it is
    probably a Toshiba special driver, see if Toshiba has a
    driver update for your computer.

    "Gettaklu" <kwhite@rwa.com> wrote in message
    | Hello,
    |
    | I'm having trouble updating the video driver on a Toshiba
    laptop. The video card is an NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go, and
    currently XP is using the standard VGA driver. When I try
    to update driver, or even delete the VGA and search for new,
    I get this message:

    | "CANNOT INSTALL THIS HARDWARE
    |
    | There was a problem installing this hardware:
    |
    | NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go (Toshiba)
    |
    | An error occurred during the installation of the device
    |
    | The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a
    thread exit or an application request."

    | The driver worked fine on this machine up until about a
    month ago. I'm thinking it is more a Windows installer
    problem than a driver problem, but I don't know where to go
    from here. Any suggestions??

    | Thanks

    Thanks for your reply Jim,

    The card is indeed a special Toshiba card, and I've tried reloading the original driver as well as downloading an updated one from Toshiba with no luck. I cannot rollback the driver either.

    Kevin

    ----- Jim Macklin wrote: -----

    The laptop video card is not exactly an NVIDIA cared, it is
    probably a Toshiba special driver, see if Toshiba has a
    driver update for your computer.

    "Gettaklu" <kwhite@rwa.com> wrote in message
    | Hello,
    |
    | I'm having trouble updating the video driver on a Toshiba
    laptop. The video card is an NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go, and
    currently XP is using the standard VGA driver. When I try
    to update driver, or even delete the VGA and search for new,
    I get this message:

    | "CANNOT INSTALL THIS HARDWARE
    |
    | There was a problem installing this hardware:
    |
    | NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go (Toshiba)
    |
    | An error occurred during the installation of the device
    |
    | The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a
    thread exit or an application request."

    | The driver worked fine on this machine up until about a
    month ago. I'm thinking it is more a Windows installer
    problem than a driver problem, but I don't know where to go
    from here. Any suggestions??

    | Thanks

Hardware Windows XP