XP lost my CD Drives

Just 2 nights ago, Windows XP Home Edition suddenly decided that neither my CD Rom nor my CDRW drives were connected anymore. Both had been working fine, then suddenly both E and D drives vanished from Explorer, My Computer, and everyplace else.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the associated drivers, and am always informed that while the drivers are fine, there are no drives connected. The troubleshooter says this is a Code 41, whatever that is.

Since I have Connectix Virtual PC installed, running 2 virtual OS's, and both can access my CD drives without a problem, I know for a fact that they ARE connected.

Someone in these newsgroups sent me a file called XP_CD-DVD-Fix.exe which I've rune 3 times, with no result. Can someone, PLEASE, in language a mere mortal can understand, tell me how to fix this. An EMail reply would be much appreciated.

Thanx:

T.E.Ponta

Tom Ponta wrote:
> Just 2 nights ago, Windows XP Home Edition suddenly decided that
> neither my CD Rom nor my CDRW drives were connected anymore. Both had
> been working fine, then suddenly both E and D drives vanished from
> Explorer, My Computer, and everyplace else.
>
> I've uninstalled and reinstalled the associated drivers, and am
> always informed that while the drivers are fine, there are no drives
> connected. The troubleshooter says this is a Code 41, whatever that
> is.
>
> Since I have Connectix Virtual PC installed, running 2 virtual OS's,
> and both can access my CD drives without a problem, I know for a fact
> that they ARE connected.
>
> Someone in these newsgroups sent me a file called XP_CD-DVD-Fix.exe
> which I've rune 3 times, with no result. Can someone, PLEASE, in
> language a mere mortal can understand, tell me how to fix this. An
> EMail reply would be much appreciated.

Do NOT be afraid of the registry hack here. It is SAFE and has helped MANY
people.
Respect the registry, don't fear it.

1) Log on with Administrative Privileges

2) Open the Registry Editor:
a) Go to Start then select Run.
b) Type regedit and click OK.

3) Backup you registry by:
a) Highlight My Computer by clicking on it once.
b) Click File (Windows XP) or Registry (Windows 2000), then Export
Registry File.
c) Select export range All; to ensure your entire registry is backed up
completely.
d) Select where you would like to save this backup, name the File, and
Click on the SAVE button.

4) Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values:
a) Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
b) Highlight this key by left clicking on it once.
c) On the right hand side delete the values Upperfilters and Lowerfilters.

5) Restart your computer.

Or try this:

http://www.dougknox.com/

Select 'Windows Utilities' and scroll down to 'Restore CD/DVD drives to
Windows Explorer.'
Perhaps his utility will do the trick. =)

--
<- Shenan ->