Athlon64- What is the correct way to install operating sys..

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
May 29, 2004 3:23:48 AM

Ok here is my problem. I have 2 systems a Athlon 3200+ XP and a Athlon64
3200. Both have 1G of DDR400 memory, both are using 2 Western Digital SATA
120G drives in a Raid 0 array. Both have a Geforce5900 video card, Creative
Audigy 2 soundcard, Lite-On 16X DVD and a Plextor 708 DVD-RW. The Athlon
2300+ XP uses a Asus A7n8X Deluxe with the Uber 1007 bios. The Athlon64 3200
has a K8VSE Deluxe motherboard and the latest bios release, both systems are
running Win XP Pro. The Athlon 3200+XP just seems to run smoother for games
(ie Unreal 2004) and the Athlon 3200 system runs DVD2One and other video
software a little faster the the Athlon64. Is there a correct way to install
Win XP Pro with the Athlon64? I installed the operating system then
installed all the correct drivers for my hardware. The only driver that I
installed for the Athlon64 was AMD Athlon64 Processor Driver for Win XP ver.
1.1.0.14 that I downloaded from AMD's web site. I then downloaded all the
updates for Win XP just as I did for the Athlon 3200+XP system. I would have
thought that the Athlon64 would have run rings around the Athlon XP but it
just doesn't. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreaciated.

TIA
May 29, 2004 5:21:38 AM

Afraid youve 'started without a rider';
Untill a 64 bit o/s becomes available the 64 has to operate in 32bit mode,
the software is also written for 32bit
so other than faster load times yr unlikely to notice anything.
A 64bit o/s is not expected for at least 18mnths
Also depending which version of the athlon 64 it may help to use ECC or
registered mem sticks

"Johnny B." <striderlirr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok here is my problem. I have 2 systems a Athlon 3200+ XP and a Athlon64
> 3200. Both have 1G of DDR400 memory, both are using 2 Western Digital SATA
> 120G drives in a Raid 0 array. Both have a Geforce5900 video card,
Creative
> Audigy 2 soundcard, Lite-On 16X DVD and a Plextor 708 DVD-RW. The Athlon
> 2300+ XP uses a Asus A7n8X Deluxe with the Uber 1007 bios. The Athlon64
3200
> has a K8VSE Deluxe motherboard and the latest bios release, both systems
are
> running Win XP Pro. The Athlon 3200+XP just seems to run smoother for
games
> (ie Unreal 2004) and the Athlon 3200 system runs DVD2One and other video
> software a little faster the the Athlon64. Is there a correct way to
install
> Win XP Pro with the Athlon64? I installed the operating system then
> installed all the correct drivers for my hardware. The only driver that I
> installed for the Athlon64 was AMD Athlon64 Processor Driver for Win XP
ver.
> 1.1.0.14 that I downloaded from AMD's web site. I then downloaded all the
> updates for Win XP just as I did for the Athlon 3200+XP system. I would
have
> thought that the Athlon64 would have run rings around the Athlon XP but it
> just doesn't. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreaciated.
>
> TIA

May 29, 2004 5:45:33 AM

anon wrote:

> Afraid youve 'started without a rider';
> Untill a 64 bit o/s becomes available the 64 has to operate in 32bit mode,
> the software is also written for 32bit
> so other than faster load times yr unlikely to notice anything.
> A 64bit o/s is not expected for at least 18mnths
> Also depending which version of the athlon 64 it may help to use ECC or
> registered mem sticks

.... unless you want to run Linux .. in which case a 64 bit OS is
available now.
May 29, 2004 1:29:51 PM

On Sat, 29 May 2004 01:45:33 -0400, driven <blah@test.com> wrote:

>anon wrote:
>
>> Afraid youve 'started without a rider';
>> Untill a 64 bit o/s becomes available the 64 has to operate in 32bit mode,
>> the software is also written for 32bit
>> so other than faster load times yr unlikely to notice anything.
>> A 64bit o/s is not expected for at least 18mnths
>> Also depending which version of the athlon 64 it may help to use ECC or
>> registered mem sticks
>>

>... unless you want to run Linux .. in which case a 64 bit OS is
>available now.

He can always run the free beta version of WinXP 64bit which is available for
download from microsoft.... seems to work well enough... stable too,
especially now 64bit drivers are becoming available.

Mike
!