new external usb2 hard drive is too slow for video capture..

Just installed Studio 9 and a new 120Gig Western Digital USB2 external
HD which is dedicated to video capture.
I am using a Dell Demension 8200 that supports usb2 (XP) and Pinnacle
Studio 9
When I tried to capture some video for the first time I received a
Studio error message "Sorry cannot capture the data rate on drive F IS
LESS THAN THE REQUIRED RATE OF 4444 kbytes a second".

I find it hard to believe that a brand new external HD is incapable of
the required data rate speed.
Any suggestions at what the problem may be???
As always thanks for your help!
3 answers Last reply
More about external usb2 hard drive slow video capture

    victor voul wrote:
    > Just installed Studio 9 and a new 120Gig Western Digital USB2 external
    > HD which is dedicated to video capture.
    > I am using a Dell Demension 8200 that supports usb2 (XP) and Pinnacle
    > Studio 9
    > When I tried to capture some video for the first time I received a
    > Studio error message "Sorry cannot capture the data rate on drive F IS
    > LESS THAN THE REQUIRED RATE OF 4444 kbytes a second".
    >
    > I find it hard to believe that a brand new external HD is incapable of
    > the required data rate speed.
    > Any suggestions at what the problem may be???
    > As always thanks for your help!

    The Western Digital external 120-GB HD is a fast drive but
    what else is attached to this particular USB port and its
    driver? If other devices are running at USB 1.1 speeds, then
    the transfer rate is slow. Best alternative would be to use
    the Firewire hookup to this WD external HD.

    usb2 is faster then firewire

    "James" <Homer@jamco> wrote in message
    > usb2 is faster then firewire

    The numbers say thats true. But my experience says
    otherwise.
    I have an external drive with both interfaces and
    the firewire
    always tranfers data faster than USB 2.0

    Jim M

Video Capture Studio Windows XP