new external usb2 hard drive is too slow for video capture..

May 11, 2004 11:14:47 PM

Just installed Studio 9 and a new 120Gig Western Digital USB2 external
HD which is dedicated to video capture.
I am using a Dell Demension 8200 that supports usb2 (XP) and Pinnacle
Studio 9
When I tried to capture some video for the first time I received a
Studio error message "Sorry cannot capture the data rate on drive F IS
LESS THAN THE REQUIRED RATE OF 4444 kbytes a second".

I find it hard to believe that a brand new external HD is incapable of
the required data rate speed.
Any suggestions at what the problem may be???
As always thanks for your help!
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 4:01:35 AM

victor voul wrote:
> Just installed Studio 9 and a new 120Gig Western Digital USB2 external
> HD which is dedicated to video capture.
> I am using a Dell Demension 8200 that supports usb2 (XP) and Pinnacle
> Studio 9
> When I tried to capture some video for the first time I received a
> Studio error message "Sorry cannot capture the data rate on drive F IS
> LESS THAN THE REQUIRED RATE OF 4444 kbytes a second".
>
> I find it hard to believe that a brand new external HD is incapable of
> the required data rate speed.
> Any suggestions at what the problem may be???
> As always thanks for your help!

The Western Digital external 120-GB HD is a fast drive but
what else is attached to this particular USB port and its
driver? If other devices are running at USB 1.1 speeds, then
the transfer rate is slow. Best alternative would be to use
the Firewire hookup to this WD external HD.
May 12, 2004 1:41:52 PM

usb2 is faster then firewire
"Mistoffolees" <mistyfac01@danang.rvn> wrote in message

> victor voul wrote:
> > Just installed Studio 9 and a new 120Gig Western Digital USB2 external
> > HD which is dedicated to video capture.
> > I am using a Dell Demension 8200 that supports usb2 (XP) and Pinnacle
> > Studio 9
> > When I tried to capture some video for the first time I received a
> > Studio error message "Sorry cannot capture the data rate on drive F IS
> > LESS THAN THE REQUIRED RATE OF 4444 kbytes a second".
> >
> > I find it hard to believe that a brand new external HD is incapable of
> > the required data rate speed.
> > Any suggestions at what the problem may be???
> > As always thanks for your help!
>
> The Western Digital external 120-GB HD is a fast drive but
> what else is attached to this particular USB port and its
> driver? If other devices are running at USB 1.1 speeds, then
> the transfer rate is slow. Best alternative would be to use
> the Firewire hookup to this WD external HD.

Anonymous
May 12, 2004 2:07:35 PM

"James" <Homer@jamco> wrote in message
news:o rItefDOEHA.3816@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> usb2 is faster then firewire

The numbers say thats true. But my experience says
otherwise.
I have an external drive with both interfaces and
the firewire
always tranfers data faster than USB 2.0

Jim M
!