"scanning IDE drives...." ?

Rocky

At boot up with my P4C800-E Deluxe I get a message "scanning IDE drives
....." that lasts about 8 seconds before the boot continues - is this normal
and can it be made to go quicker?

In the BIOS I have designated the HD as the primary boot device.

Thanks.

Alistair

It sounds like you have a RAID controller function that you are not
using turned on.

Rocky wrote:
> At boot up with my P4C800-E Deluxe I get a message "scanning IDE drives
> ...." that lasts about 8 seconds before the boot continues - is this
> normal and can it be made to go quicker?

I'd suspect that the IDE channels are set to auto detect the device. You
could always select the actual type - such as none on the channels with
nothing on.

Ben

Rocky

"Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Rocky wrote:
> > At boot up with my P4C800-E Deluxe I get a message "scanning IDE drives
> > ...." that lasts about 8 seconds before the boot continues - is this
> > normal and can it be made to go quicker?
>

> I'd suspect that the IDE channels are set to auto detect the device. You
> could always select the actual type - such as none on the channels with
> nothing on.

Ben I built this PC myself, but I am still a learning, could you expand on
that a little for me please :eek:)

Alistair

Rocky wrote:
> "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Rocky wrote:
>>> At boot up with my P4C800-E Deluxe I get a message "scanning IDE drives
>>> ...." that lasts about 8 seconds before the boot continues - is this
>>> normal and can it be made to go quicker?
>>

>> I'd suspect that the IDE channels are set to auto detect the device. You
>> could always select the actual type - such as none on the channels with
>> nothing on.
>
> Ben I built this PC myself, but I am still a learning, could you expand on
> that a little for me please :eek:)

I don't recall where in the BIOS, but you can set up your IDE Primary
Master, Primary Slave, Secondary Master and Secondary slave to none, auto,
etc.

Or, as already mentioned, it could be a different controller looking for
devices, in which case you could disable it in the BIOS (if you're not using
it) or disable the channels you are not using in the controler BIOS.

I'm not familiar with your board, so I can;t really go into further detail
without downloading it's manual.

Ben

Rocky

"Matt" <Matt@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> If your hard disk is not on the RAID or Promise controller, you can
disable
> the on-board RAID controller and this message won't be displayed. See
> section 4 in the manual.

Okay I have read the section and checked the BIOS IDE Configuration section,
this is the current setting:

Enhanced Mode Support on : [S-ATA] (there is a P-ATA option in there)
Configure S-ATA as Raid : [No]

Should I change the [S-ATA] setting to [P-ATA] as I have no SATA or RAID on
this system?

Additionally I notice another message on bootup saying "No Fasttrack
Controller installed", I don't know what that means either :eek:(

Alistair

Paul

Splendid

In article <2hs3ocFgfv9uU1@uni-berlin.de>, "Rocky" <Rocky@GhostRecon.net> wrote:

> "Matt" <Matt@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> > If your hard disk is not on the RAID or Promise controller, you can
> disable
> > the on-board RAID controller and this message won't be displayed. See
> > section 4 in the manual.
>
> Okay I have read the section and checked the BIOS IDE Configuration section,
> this is the current setting:
>
> Enhanced Mode Support on : [S-ATA] (there is a P-ATA option in there)
> Configure S-ATA as Raid : [No]
>
> Should I change the [S-ATA] setting to [P-ATA] as I have no SATA or RAID on
> this system?

<<snip>>

Stick with Enhanced Mode set to [S-ATA]. Someone has already discovered
that the other options for Enhanced Mode seem to cause the interfaces
to slow down, and the S-ATA setting is the one to use, whether there
is anything plugged in there or not.

In Compatible mode, you can select any one of the three settings,
as then they do the right thing.

HTH,
Paul

Rocky

"Rocky" <Rocky@GhostRecon.net> wrote in message
> At boot up with my P4C800-E Deluxe I get a message "scanning IDE drives
> ...." that lasts about 8 seconds before the boot continues - is this
normal
> and can it be made to go quicker?
>
> In the BIOS I have designated the HD as the primary boot device.

Okay I have resolved this and shaved a good 10 seconds of the boot up time,
so I'm posting it here for anybody that googles to try and solve this delay
on their own systems.

In the BIOS under the Advanced tab is the Onboard section. In there I found
the Promise Controller was Enabled, and set to SATA. I am not using SATA yet
so I disabled the Promise Controller, and viola, no more scanning IDE drives
at boot, and thus a faster boot up.

--
Rocky
www.ghostrecon.net | www.agr-s.com | www.tactical-elite.net

__

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 13:00:11 +0100, "Rocky" <Rocky@GhostRecon.net>
wrote:

>"Rocky" <Rocky@GhostRecon.net> wrote in message
>> At boot up with my P4C800-E Deluxe I get a message "scanning IDE drives
>> ...." that lasts about 8 seconds before the boot continues - is this
>normal
>> and can it be made to go quicker?
>>
>> In the BIOS I have designated the HD as the primary boot device.
>
>Okay I have resolved this and shaved a good 10 seconds of the boot up time,
>so I'm posting it here for anybody that googles to try and solve this delay
>on their own systems.
>
>In the BIOS under the Advanced tab is the Onboard section. In there I found
>the Promise Controller was Enabled, and set to SATA. I am not using SATA yet
>so I disabled the Promise Controller, and viola, no more scanning IDE drives
>at boot, and thus a faster boot up
..
Pray tell, what BIOS R U running? I am on 1016 and even with the
Promise Controller disabled, my system STILL cks IDE drives and then
states bios not loaded...

and what do you do with the extra 10 seconds in your busy life?

> "Rocky" <Rocky@GhostRecon.net> wrote in message
> > At boot up with my P4C800-E Deluxe I get a message "scanning IDE drives
> > ...." that lasts about 8 seconds before the boot continues - is this
> normal
> > and can it be made to go quicker?
> >
> > In the BIOS I have designated the HD as the primary boot device.
>
> Okay I have resolved this and shaved a good 10 seconds of the boot up
time,
> so I'm posting it here for anybody that googles to try and solve this
delay
> on their own systems.
>
> In the BIOS under the Advanced tab is the Onboard section. In there I
found
> the Promise Controller was Enabled, and set to SATA. I am not using SATA
yet
> so I disabled the Promise Controller, and viola, no more scanning IDE
drives
> at boot, and thus a faster boot up.
>

> --
> Rocky
> www.ghostrecon.net | www.agr-s.com | www.tactical-elite.net
>
> __

Rocky

"Memphoman" <elvis@dead.com> wrote in message
> Pray tell, what BIOS R U running? I am on 1016 and even with the
> Promise Controller disabled, my system STILL cks IDE drives and then
> states bios not loaded...

I disabled the Promise controller right after I updated the BIOS to 1016
using the auto-update tool.

--

"notritenoteri" <coldasfire@hades.com> wrote in message
> and what do you do with the extra 10 seconds in your busy life?

Use it productively.

--

Rocky wrote:
> "notritenoteri" <coldasfire@hades.com> wrote in message
>> and what do you do with the extra 10 seconds in your busy life?
>
> Use it productively.

Replying to silly questions on newsgroups :p

> Rocky wrote:
> > "notritenoteri" <coldasfire@hades.com> wrote in message
> >> and what do you do with the extra 10 seconds in your busy life?
> >
> > Use it productively.
>

> Replying to silly questions on newsgroups :p

Yeh, a momentary oversight, it won't happen again.

DOH! <g>

--

Rocky wrote:
> Yeh, a momentary oversight, it won't happen again.
>
> DOH! <g>

Hope you didn't spend almost 10 seconds reading this... D'Oh!

:p

Ben

IS it a silly question or a silly concern or a silly coment on the reply?

notritenoteri wrote:
> IS it a silly question or a silly concern or a silly coment on the reply?

Are they mutually exclusive or can I choose more than one?

I think it's fast becoming a silly thread...

:p

Ben

YOU may do anything you wish as long as it has no impact on me.