Hdd crash. how to fix ?

Hi,
first of all sorry for my bad english.
I have a problem running xp.
after a forced reboot due to sistem hangup my pc cannot boot safely.
after displaying winxp splash screen it shows a very fast blue screen
(impossible to read content) and it reboots.
booting with dos prompt or safe configuration causes xp to reboots
even earlier (without showing splash screen).
this is not due to recent viruses (system is update and antivirus
working), but to a disk error.
I tried to run the console, but executing DIR on C:\ it says that due
to an error is impossible to show C:\ directories.
CHKDSK is not a console command so I cannot run it
Trying with FIXBOOT and FIXMBR I didn't solve the problem. Both say
that there's an error but they proceed anyway.
How can I solve this problem without formatting ? how can I mark that
sector as damaged and repari my disk ?
Thanks in advance

--
Francesco
3 answers Last reply

    Do a repair install of XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q315341&ID=KB;EN-US;Q315341

    You should be able to run chkdsk from the recovery console.
    Install recovery console (like a dual boot)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654

    *********
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

    C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxxxx user>chkdsk /?
    Checks a disk and displays a status report.

    CHKDSK [volume[[path]filename]]] [/F] [/V] [/R] [/X]
    [/C] [/L[:size]]

    volume Specifies the drive letter (followed by a
    colon),
    mount point, or volume name.
    filename FAT/FAT32 only: Specifies the files to
    check for fragmentation
    ..
    /F Fixes errors on the disk.
    /V On FAT/FAT32: Displays the full path and
    name of every file
    on the disk.
    On NTFS: Displays cleanup messages if any.
    /R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable
    information
    (implies /F).
    /L:size NTFS only: Changes the log file size to
    the specified number
    of kilobytes. If size is not specified,
    displays current
    size.
    /X Forces the volume to dismount first if
    necessary.
    All opened handles to the volume would
    then be invalid
    (implies /F).
    /I NTFS only: Performs a less vigorous check
    of index entries.
    /C NTFS only: Skips checking of cycles within
    the folder
    structure.

    The /I or /C switch reduces the amount of time required to
    run Chkdsk by
    skipping certain checks of the volume.

    C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxuser>
    ********
    This is the help file with the chkdsk /? at the cmd prompt.

    "Francesco" <viali@despammed.com> wrote in message
    | Hi,
    | first of all sorry for my bad english.
    | I have a problem running xp.
    | after a forced reboot due to sistem hangup my pc cannot
    boot safely.
    | after displaying winxp splash screen it shows a very fast
    blue screen
    | (impossible to read content) and it reboots.
    | booting with dos prompt or safe configuration causes xp to
    reboots
    | even earlier (without showing splash screen).
    | this is not due to recent viruses (system is update and
    antivirus
    | working), but to a disk error.
    | I tried to run the console, but executing DIR on C:\ it
    says that due
    | to an error is impossible to show C:\ directories.
    | CHKDSK is not a console command so I cannot run it
    | Trying with FIXBOOT and FIXMBR I didn't solve the problem.
    Both say
    | that there's an error but they proceed anyway.
    | How can I solve this problem without formatting ? how can
    I mark that
    | sector as damaged and repari my disk ?
    | Thanks in advance
    |
    | --
    | Francesco

    Booted my recovery console, which has been installed to my
    hard drive and chkdsk is there with a lesser number of
    switches. It said that certain files must be present on the
    drive or available on the CD, so it should work. It asked
    for my default administrator account password, so you will
    need to know yours.

    "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
    in message news:ujPiDN$NEHA.1196@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> [...]
    | | after displaying winxp splash screen it shows a very
    fast
    | blue screen
    | | (impossible to read content) and it reboots.
    | | booting with dos prompt or safe configuration causes xp
    | reboots
    | | even earlier (without showing splash screen).
    | | this is not due to recent viruses (system is update and
    | antivirus
    | | working), but to a disk error.
    | | I tried to run the console, but executing DIR on C:\ it
    | says that due
    | | to an error is impossible to show C:\ directories.
    | | CHKDSK is not a console command so I cannot run it
    | | Trying with FIXBOOT and FIXMBR I didn't solve the
    problem.
    | Both say
    | | that there's an error but they proceed anyway.
    | | How can I solve this problem without formatting ? how
    | |
    | | --
    | | Francesco

    there is a free tool called hddreg wich test the disk and repairs first bad
    sector found
    do a google search for hddreg
    its author is Dmitry Primochenko

    --
    Bienvenidos al sitio de MVP de Microsoft
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >
    > Recuerda: Una Consulta, Un Foro:

    Este mensaje se proporciona "como está" sin garantías de ninguna clase, y no
    otorga ningún derecho.

    You assume all risk for your use.

    XP Pro-2600-limpia+SP1

    por favor
    respuestas al grupo; asi nos beneficiamos todos
    no se responde personalmente

    saludos

    Antonio
    ms mvp windowsxp shell user

    "Francesco" <viali@despammed.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > first of all sorry for my bad english.
    > I have a problem running xp.
    > after a forced reboot due to sistem hangup my pc cannot boot safely.
    > after displaying winxp splash screen it shows a very fast blue screen
    > (impossible to read content) and it reboots.
    > booting with dos prompt or safe configuration causes xp to reboots
    > even earlier (without showing splash screen).
    > this is not due to recent viruses (system is update and antivirus
    > working), but to a disk error.
    > I tried to run the console, but executing DIR on C:\ it says that due
    > to an error is impossible to show C:\ directories.
    > CHKDSK is not a console command so I cannot run it
    > Trying with FIXBOOT and FIXMBR I didn't solve the problem. Both say
    > that there's an error but they proceed anyway.
    > How can I solve this problem without formatting ? how can I mark that
    > sector as damaged and repari my disk ?
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > --
    > Francesco