Hdd crash. how to fix ?

Hi,
first of all sorry for my bad english.
I have a problem running xp.
after a forced reboot due to sistem hangup my pc cannot boot safely.
after displaying winxp splash screen it shows a very fast blue screen
(impossible to read content) and it reboots.
booting with dos prompt or safe configuration causes xp to reboots
even earlier (without showing splash screen).
this is not due to recent viruses (system is update and antivirus
working), but to a disk error.
I tried to run the console, but executing DIR on C:\ it says that due
to an error is impossible to show C:\ directories.
CHKDSK is not a console command so I cannot run it
Trying with FIXBOOT and FIXMBR I didn't solve the problem. Both say
that there's an error but they proceed anyway.
How can I solve this problem without formatting ? how can I mark that
sector as damaged and repari my disk ?
Thanks in advance

--
Francesco

Do a repair install of XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q315341&ID=KB;EN-US;Q315341

You should be able to run chkdsk from the recovery console.
Install recovery console (like a dual boot)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654

*********
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxxxx user>chkdsk /?
Checks a disk and displays a status report.

CHKDSK [volume[[path]filename]]] [/F] [/V] [/R] [/X] [/I]
[/C] [/L[:size]]

volume Specifies the drive letter (followed by a
colon),
mount point, or volume name.
filename FAT/FAT32 only: Specifies the files to
check for fragmentation
..
/F Fixes errors on the disk.
/V On FAT/FAT32: Displays the full path and
name of every file
on the disk.
On NTFS: Displays cleanup messages if any.
/R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable
information
(implies /F).
/L:size NTFS only: Changes the log file size to
the specified number
of kilobytes. If size is not specified,
displays current
size.
/X Forces the volume to dismount first if
necessary.
All opened handles to the volume would
then be invalid
(implies /F).
/I NTFS only: Performs a less vigorous check
of index entries.
/C NTFS only: Skips checking of cycles within
the folder
structure.

The /I or /C switch reduces the amount of time required to
run Chkdsk by
skipping certain checks of the volume.

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxuser>
********
This is the help file with the chkdsk /? at the cmd prompt.

"Francesco" <viali@despammed.com> wrote in message
| Hi,
| first of all sorry for my bad english.
| I have a problem running xp.
| after a forced reboot due to sistem hangup my pc cannot
boot safely.
| after displaying winxp splash screen it shows a very fast
blue screen
| (impossible to read content) and it reboots.
| booting with dos prompt or safe configuration causes xp to
reboots
| even earlier (without showing splash screen).
| this is not due to recent viruses (system is update and
antivirus
| working), but to a disk error.
| I tried to run the console, but executing DIR on C:\ it
says that due
| to an error is impossible to show C:\ directories.
| CHKDSK is not a console command so I cannot run it
| Trying with FIXBOOT and FIXMBR I didn't solve the problem.
Both say
| that there's an error but they proceed anyway.
| How can I solve this problem without formatting ? how can
I mark that
| sector as damaged and repari my disk ?
| Thanks in advance
|
| --
| Francesco

Booted my recovery console, which has been installed to my
hard drive and chkdsk is there with a lesser number of
switches. It said that certain files must be present on the
drive or available on the CD, so it should work. It asked
for my default administrator account password, so you will
need to know yours.

"Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
in message news:ujPiDN$NEHA.1196@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> [...]
| | after displaying winxp splash screen it shows a very
fast
| blue screen
| | (impossible to read content) and it reboots.
| | booting with dos prompt or safe configuration causes xp
| reboots
| | even earlier (without showing splash screen).
| | this is not due to recent viruses (system is update and
| antivirus
| | working), but to a disk error.
| | I tried to run the console, but executing DIR on C:\ it
| says that due
| | to an error is impossible to show C:\ directories.
| | CHKDSK is not a console command so I cannot run it
| | Trying with FIXBOOT and FIXMBR I didn't solve the
problem.
| Both say
| | that there's an error but they proceed anyway.
| | How can I solve this problem without formatting ? how
| |
| | --
| | Francesco

there is a free tool called hddreg wich test the disk and repairs first bad
sector found
do a google search for hddreg
its author is Dmitry Primochenko

--
Bienvenidos al sitio de MVP de Microsoft
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>
> Recuerda: Una Consulta, Un Foro:

Este mensaje se proporciona "como está" sin garantías de ninguna clase, y no
otorga ningún derecho.

You assume all risk for your use.

XP Pro-2600-limpia+SP1

por favor
respuestas al grupo; asi nos beneficiamos todos
no se responde personalmente

saludos

Antonio
ms mvp windowsxp shell user