looking for a good home color laser

I am looking for opinions on color laser printers for home use.

I do require the use of auto-duplexing and I prefer high-speed

I really like the HP 4600DP, but I really do not like the cost.

Anyone have any suggestions?

The low end color lasers are so so. Like the Samsung CLP-500, the
Minolta 2300, etc are either too slow or poor quality.

What about Solid Inks? Anyone know how much power these take to run? I
am looking at the Phaser 8400.

thanks
--tmac

Douglas

I dumped my HP 4600 and bought the Minolta 3300DN.It does 26 pages per
minute(color&black and white) has duplexing and cost $1539 from Newegg.A
step in between would be the Minolta 2350.The Phaser 8400 is a very nice
unit for under $1000.I am just not sold on solid ink printers.Others seem to
like this machine a great deal.It seems to me,the warm up time on the 8400
would be a hassle for a low volume printer.

In article <7bqdnUQ2pMIxXh3dRVn-ig@centurytel.net>, "Douglas" <.>
wrote:

> It seems to me,the warm up time on the 8400
> would be a hassle for a low volume printer.

Ummmmm.....it doesn't have a warmup time, not like you're thinking.

You never turn it off.

I am having excellent results with a Minolta 2350en with the add-on
duplexer (got mine from www.costcentral.com ). Even photos are very,
very good especially when using the high quality recommended laser
paper types (ie, reg: Microprint Laser, glossy: Xerox Color Laser
3R6290). But even duplexing on plain old 20lb copy paper is also
excellent.

Before going with the 2350 I was leaning towards a solid ink Phaser
but then read numerous reports that it is really for high duty cycle
enviroments, in other words **for home use or other low-use
conditions** the inks could/would cook/burn and darken after a while
of the printer being left on (you always leave these printers on so
the ink is melted enough to print) thus requiring a purge/cleanout of
the ink tanks with new ink sticks.

Did you also buy the duplexer at costcentral? I couldn't find it listed.
Would you be willing to tell us the price of the duplexer?

Thanks.
"Markeau" <please_reply@news.group> wrote in message
I am having excellent results with a Minolta 2350en with the add-on
duplexer (got mine from www.costcentral.com ). Even photos are very,
very good especially when using the high quality recommended laser
paper types (ie, reg: Microprint Laser, glossy: Xerox Color Laser
3R6290). But even duplexing on plain old 20lb copy paper is also
excellent.

Before going with the 2350 I was leaning towards a solid ink Phaser
but then read numerous reports that it is really for high duty cycle
enviroments, in other words **for home use or other low-use
conditions** the inks could/would cook/burn and darken after a while
of the printer being left on (you always leave these printers on so
the ink is melted enough to print) thus requiring a purge/cleanout of
the ink tanks with new ink sticks.

Yes ... I got the mfgr p/n from the minolta website then plugged that
into the costcentral search ... this is the one for the 2350 - it says
it's just "2300" but it's the right one ... (note that there is
another slightly different one: "2300W"):

http://www.costcentral.com/searchresult.php?keyword=1710519-100&searchin=1

This is the Minolta website:

http://printer.konicaminolta.net/products/color/index.asp

tempgal wrote:
> Did you also buy the duplexer at costcentral? I couldn't find it
> listed. Would you be willing to tell us the price of the duplexer?
>
> Thanks.
> "Markeau" <please_reply@news.group> wrote in message
> I am having excellent results with a Minolta 2350en with the add-on
> duplexer (got mine from www.costcentral.com ). Even photos are
very,
> very good especially when using the high quality recommended laser
> paper types (ie, reg: Microprint Laser, glossy: Xerox Color Laser
> 3R6290). But even duplexing on plain old 20lb copy paper is also
> excellent.
>
> Before going with the 2350 I was leaning towards a solid ink Phaser
> but then read numerous reports that it is really for high duty cycle
> enviroments, in other words **for home use or other low-use
> conditions** the inks could/would cook/burn and darken after a while
> of the printer being left on (you always leave these printers on so
> the ink is melted enough to print) thus requiring a purge/cleanout
of
> the ink tanks with new ink sticks.

Did you look at the OKI Data 5100n.It's at Microcenter and Comp USA for $699
and $799 respectively.
Excellent prints and very economical to run.

In message <elmop-EEB973.08055317042004@news.usenetserver.com>, Elmo P.
Shagnasty <elmop@nastydesigns.com> writes
>In article <7bqdnUQ2pMIxXh3dRVn-ig@centurytel.net>, "Douglas" <.>
>wrote:
>
>> It seems to me,the warm up time on the 8400
>> would be a hassle for a low volume printer.
>
>Ummmmm.....it doesn't have a warmup time, not like you're thinking.

Well it does have a sleep mode and it needs to warm up after that.

I would suggest the minimum usage you need to justify one would be
probably around 1000 pages a month.

--
Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
tlatwightpropertydotcom

Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

"Timothy Lee" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> In message <elmop-EEB973.08055317042004@news.usenetserver.com>, Elmo P.
> Shagnasty <elmop@nastydesigns.com> writes
> >In article <7bqdnUQ2pMIxXh3dRVn-ig@centurytel.net>, "Douglas" <.>
> >wrote:
> >
> >> It seems to me,the warm up time on the 8400
> >> would be a hassle for a low volume printer.
> >
> >Ummmmm.....it doesn't have a warmup time, not like you're thinking.
> >
> Well it does have a sleep mode and it needs to warm up after that.
>
> I would suggest the minimum usage you need to justify one would be
> probably around 1000 pages a month.
>
> --
> Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
> tlatwightpropertydotcom

If one can afford it, it's much easier to maintain than ink-jets. No clog or
dry out issues. It does take a while to warm up and initialize but it's a
breeze to use and extrememly fast to print, b/w or color because unlike many
low end color laser using only one photoconductor which the paper has to go
through the drum 4 times, this Okidata has 4 so it only takes a SINGLE pass
to print color.