Is my K8VSE Deluxe dead?

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
May 30, 2004 5:08:16 AM

OK I have a big problem. I was flashing my K8VSE Deluxe motherbaord with the
latest bios and during the process I get the message "flash failed". This is
after the bios is erased. The only thing I could do was hit reset as I was
locked and nothing and I mean nothing was happening. Now I turn the computer
on and all I get is the green motherboard light, my DVD-Rom and DRD-RW
lights flash and I have no video output. I have tried to do the CrashFree
Bios 2 recovery that is detailed on pg. 4-5 of the manual but I can't seem
to get that far. Am I totaly F---ed?

TIA

More about : k8vse deluxe dead

May 30, 2004 5:08:17 AM

In article <4uauc.908$iV.102589@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>, "Johnny B"
<striderlirr@hotmail.com> wrote:

> OK I have a big problem. I was flashing my K8VSE Deluxe motherbaord with the
> latest bios and during the process I get the message "flash failed". This is
> after the bios is erased. The only thing I could do was hit reset as I was
> locked and nothing and I mean nothing was happening. Now I turn the computer
> on and all I get is the green motherboard light, my DVD-Rom and DRD-RW
> lights flash and I have no video output. I have tried to do the CrashFree
> Bios 2 recovery that is detailed on pg. 4-5 of the manual but I can't seem
> to get that far. Am I totaly F---ed?
>
> TIA

There are two parts to the flash - the boot block (a minimal bootstrap
loader) and the main body of the code. I think the Asus Crash Free relies
on the boot block for the recovery process.

On some Asus flash updates, they select an option to not only update
the main body of the flash, but also the boot block. This kind of flash
update is the most dangerous, because Crash Free is then not available
in case of a failure. Either you answered "yes" to a prompt as to whether
it was OK to update the boot block, or you used one of those Asus
wrapper files that sends command line arguments to the flash program,
to do both parts of the flash. (Only a Gigabyte board equipped with
two flash chips, has this solved, and not all their boards have the
second chip installed.)

Long story short, badflash.com for a new BIOS chip.

BIOS Savior from ioss.com.tw if you don't want this to happen
ever again (~$25).

HTH,
Paul
!