Ran Tests Promise vs Intel

I have been lurking for a couple days, looking for info on Promise vs Intel
RAID setup. It didn't look like anyone had both sides of the story. I am
in the process of building the system so I have the luxury of being able to
rebuild without loosing much.

I used Simpli Software's HD Tech (freebe only did read tests) benchmark
software.

The system:
Lian Li case: very cool
Enermax Noise Taker 425W PS
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
Intel P4 3.0GHz
total 1GB ram, Twinx 1024-3200C2Pro from Corsair (very cool activation
LEDs)
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256 (had to RMA once for a working one from newegg)
2 WD 74GB 10000 rpm WD Raptors
Win XP Pro

All test were done with RAID 0, except for the last one which was a single
Raptor.

The tests and results: random access time(ms) read burstMB/s)
max read(MB/s) min read (MB/s) average(MB/s) CPU usage(%)
1) w/on board Promise 8.0 off the chart >
200 103.0 30.9 77.9
10.0
2) w/Intel ICH5R 8.3 113.6
101.3 42.9 68.1 9.2
3) one Raptor 7.0
118.4 73.4 23.3
63.1 6.4

Conclusion:
This is not a complete test because there was no write test and only one
benchmark tool was used. The numbers from these tests tell me that the
onboard Promise setup is best.

Paul

Splendid

In article <YCduc.9398$oh7.8336@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>, "zoomer"
<zoomer56@verizon.net> wrote:

> I have been lurking for a couple days, looking for info on Promise vs Intel
> RAID setup. It didn't look like anyone had both sides of the story. I am
> in the process of building the system so I have the luxury of being able to
> rebuild without loosing much.
>
> I used Simpli Software's HD Tech (freebe only did read tests) benchmark
> software.
>
> The system:
> Lian Li case: very cool
> Enermax Noise Taker 425W PS
> Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
> Intel P4 3.0GHz
> total 1GB ram, Twinx 1024-3200C2Pro from Corsair (very cool activation
> LEDs)
> ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256 (had to RMA once for a working one from newegg)
> 2 WD 74GB 10000 rpm WD Raptors
> Win XP Pro
>
> All test were done with RAID 0, except for the last one which was a single
> Raptor.
>
> The tests and results: random access time(ms) read burstMB/s)
> max read(MB/s) min read (MB/s) average(MB/s) CPU usage(%)
> 1) w/on board Promise 8.0 off the chart >
> 200 103.0 30.9 77.9
> 10.0
> 2) w/Intel ICH5R 8.3 113.6
> 101.3 42.9 68.1 9.2
> 3) one Raptor 7.0
> 118.4 73.4 23.3
> 63.1 6.4
>
> Conclusion:
> This is not a complete test because there was no write test and only one
> benchmark tool was used. The numbers from these tests tell me that the
> onboard Promise setup is best.

Check out the write on the Intel. The Promise cannot match this,
due to the limits of the PCI bus (at least without changing the
PCI Latency setting to a number much larger than 32, like 64 or 128,
and that spoils fairness for other PCI cards).

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=595566

The ICH5R doesn't have the PCI limit, as the SATA interfaces are hooked
to the 266MB/sec hub interface.

HTH,
Paul