P2B Tualatin upgrade questions...

Having successfully upgraded a P2B-S last fall to a 1.2
Celeron with the Upgradeware slotket, I recently bought a
used P2-B to replace an old motherboard (a Supermicro that
was never much good) for my secondary machine. The board is
a Rev. 1.10, which I thought was sufficient (it took the
1014 bios upgrade just fine) but the specs on the
Upgradeware site say

Please note that the PWM IC must be "HIP6019BCB , HIP6004BCB
or US3007CW ". If it is "HIP6019CB or HIP6004ACB", your
system can't be upgraded.

I've looked all over the board, and can't find the PWM IC,
though I'm a little hampered by the fact I don't really know
what one is.

Finally, if I'm able to do this upgrade I wonder what
jumpers I'll have to change -- I got this board working with
an old PII-233 I had lying around, but had to move some
jumpers to get that to boot, and I don't really know what
I'd be up to if I buy like a 1.4 Ghz Celeron.

--

-rafe t.
www.ray-field.com

ray field schrieb:

> Having successfully upgraded a P2B-S last fall to a 1.2
> Celeron with the Upgradeware slotket, I recently bought a
> used P2-B to replace an old motherboard (a Supermicro that
> was never much good) for my secondary machine. The board is
> a Rev. 1.10, which I thought was sufficient (it took the
> 1014 bios upgrade just fine) but the specs on the
> Upgradeware site say
>
> Please note that the PWM IC must be "HIP6019BCB , HIP6004BCB
> or US3007CW ". If it is "HIP6019CB or HIP6004ACB", your
> system can't be upgraded.
>
> I've looked all over the board, and can't find the PWM IC,
> though I'm a little hampered by the fact I don't really know
> what one is.

That's a little rectangular chip with 20 feet somewhere near the CPU
slot.

> Finally, if I'm able to do this upgrade I wonder what
> jumpers I'll have to change -- I got this board working with
> an old PII-233 I had lying around, but had to move some
> jumpers to get that to boot, and I don't really know what
> I'd be up to if I buy like a 1.4 Ghz Celeron.

You'd only have to set up the board for 100 MHz FSB operation, nothing
more.

Stephan
--
Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 1xP3-500E, 512 MiB, 18+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W

In article <c9cs71$5bn$02$1@news.t-online.com>,
Stephan Grossklass <sgrokla-nospam04q2@yahoo.de> wrote:
>ray field schrieb:
>>
>> Having successfully upgraded a P2B-S last fall to a 1.2
>> Celeron with the Upgradeware slotket, I recently bought a
>> used P2-B to replace an old motherboard (a Supermicro that
>> was never much good) for my secondary machine. The board is
>> a Rev. 1.10, which I thought was sufficient (it took the
>> 1014 bios upgrade just fine) but the specs on the
>> Upgradeware site say
>>
>> Please note that the PWM IC must be "HIP6019BCB , HIP6004BCB
>> or US3007CW ". If it is "HIP6019CB or HIP6004ACB", your
>> system can't be upgraded.
>>
>> I've looked all over the board, and can't find the PWM IC,
>> though I'm a little hampered by the fact I don't really know
>> what one is.
>
>That's a little rectangular chip with 20 feet somewhere near the CPU
>slot.

Thank you! Very hard to see the number but I'm thankful
to report it qualifies.

>> Finally, if I'm able to do this upgrade I wonder what
>> jumpers I'll have to change -- I got this board working with
>> an old PII-233 I had lying around, but had to move some
>> jumpers to get that to boot, and I don't really know what
>> I'd be up to if I buy like a 1.4 Ghz Celeron.
>
>You'd only have to set up the board for 100 MHz FSB operation, nothing
>more.

Not sure what this means, and doing a quick search on the
PDF version of the manual only turned up a small reference
to FSB.

The bus frequency now is set to 66MHz -- will I need to
change that to 100Mhz? And the multipliers make no
difference?

Thanks again.

--

-rafe t.
www.ray-field.com

ray field schrieb:

> In article <c9cs71$5bn$02$1@news.t-online.com>,
> Stephan Grossklass <sgrokla-nospam04q2@yahoo.de> wrote:
> >ray field schrieb:
> >>
> >> I've looked all over the board, and can't find the PWM IC,
> >> though I'm a little hampered by the fact I don't really know
> >> what one is.
> >
> >That's a little rectangular chip with 20 feet somewhere near the CPU
> >slot.
>
> Thank you! Very hard to see the number but I'm thankful
> to report it qualifies.

That's good news.

> >You'd only have to set up the board for 100 MHz FSB operation, nothing
> >more.
>
> Not sure what this means, and doing a quick search on the
> PDF version of the manual only turned up a small reference
> to FSB.
>
> The bus frequency now is set to 66MHz -- will I need to
> change that to 100Mhz?

Yes.

> And the multipliers make no
> difference?

Correct. Newer Intel CPU are all multiplier locked (save some
engineering samples) and thus don't care about this setting.

Stephan
--

In article <c9d8a5$e6q$06$3@news.t-online.com>,
Stephan Grossklass <sgrokla-nospam04q2@yahoo.de> wrote:
>ray field schrieb:
>>
>> In article <c9cs71$5bn$02$1@news.t-online.com>,
>> Stephan Grossklass <sgrokla-nospam04q2@yahoo.de> wrote:

>> >That's a little rectangular chip with 20 feet somewhere near the CPU
>> >slot.
>>
>> Thank you! Very hard to see the number but I'm thankful
>> to report it qualifies.
>
>That's good news.
>
>> >You'd only have to set up the board for 100 MHz FSB operation, nothing
>> >more.
>>
>> Not sure what this means, and doing a quick search on the
>> PDF version of the manual only turned up a small reference
>> to FSB.
>>
>> The bus frequency now is set to 66MHz -- will I need to
>> change that to 100Mhz?
>
>Yes.
>
>> And the multipliers make no
>> difference?
>
>Correct. Newer Intel CPU are all multiplier locked (save some
>engineering samples) and thus don't care about this setting.
>
>Stephan
>--
>Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
>PC#6: i440BX, 1xP3-500E, 512 MiB, 18+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W
> This is a SCSI-inside, Legacy-plus, TCPA-free computer :)
>Mail to From: not read, see homepg. | Real gelesene Mailadr. s. Homep.

thanks once again. it arrived today, went in without a
hitch, just needed to tell the BIOS to ignore that voltage
thingie...

--

-rafe t.
www.ray-field.com