ASUS K8V Deluxe (AMD 64) and Window XP

I've 20 GB hard drive with Windows XP and the latest service pack
installed - running on an Intel Pentium II system.

I want to build an AMD 64 system (using the ASUS K8V SE Deluxe board, and
AMD 64 3000+ processor) - and use the above 20 GB hard drive.

Would the Windows XP on the hard drive boot on the AMD system or is this a
non-starter project?

Mohan

If you change the motherboard in a system then you HAVE to reformat the
harddrive and do a fresh install of XP onto the harddrive, otherwise you
will get ongoing nasty Registry errors. Alos that older 20 GB harddrive
would slowww your system down a lot if you used it in your new system.

--
DaveW

"mv" <mohan.vaghul@gte.net> wrote in message

> I've 20 GB hard drive with Windows XP and the latest service pack
> installed - running on an Intel Pentium II system.
>
> I want to build an AMD 64 system (using the ASUS K8V SE Deluxe board, and
> AMD 64 3000+ processor) - and use the above 20 GB hard drive.
>
> Would the Windows XP on the hard drive boot on the AMD system or is this a
> non-starter project?
>
> Mohan

"mv" <mohan.vaghul@gte.net> wrote in message

> I've 20 GB hard drive with Windows XP and the latest service pack
> installed - running on an Intel Pentium II system.
>
> I want to build an AMD 64 system (using the ASUS K8V SE Deluxe board, and
> AMD 64 3000+ processor) - and use the above 20 GB hard drive.
>
> Would the Windows XP on the hard drive boot on the AMD system or is this a
> non-starter project?
>
> Mohan
Realistically, it'd be better to re-install. If you do a 'repair install',
XP will redetect the hardware. Otherwise you are in for a lot of problems
getting it to boot (not because it is an AMD64, but because of the chipset
change).
You can change a couple of settings in XP, to force it 'back' to the install
detection mode, that is normally triggered during the install, but this has
no advantages over doing a repair install. Either way, you will end up with
some 'bloat' (unused drivers), left over, compared with doing a 'clean'
install.
You will also hve to re-register XP.

Best Wishes

What I gain by using the same hard drive - is time to reinstall all my apps
on the new system.

If I Ghost (using Norton) the 20GB drive to 120GB and then use the 120GB on
the system, would there be performance issues?

Looks like this project is worth the while - maybe the "next major" upgrade
of Windows will clean up the system of its bloat ...

Mohan

Centurion

Distinguished
May 28, 2004

On Mon, 31 May 2004 02:37:59 +0100, D wrote:

> AMD64 using a 20gb hd?
> Get real what are you trying to achieve? A win 64bit o/s will not be
> available for some 18mnths, unless you want to use a beta.
> Most software hasnt been written to use a 64 bit. Benchmarks are one
> thing, reality is another

Or you could use Linux and have a true 64bit OS and 64bit performance
TODAY. The world is not in the windows(sic), but beyond it ;)

James
--
BOFH excuse #210:
We didn't pay the Internet bill and it's been cut off.