P4C800-E Deluxe Raid Problem

Glen

Hi People

I have just upgraded the core of my computer adding an Asus P4C-E Deluxe,
3GHz P4, 1GB Corsair TwinX DDR, 2xSATA Maxtor. I am trying to set the drives
up as raid 0 on the Intel chip and the manual says press ctrl + l during the
post to set up the raid. The problem is I only get the promise chip giving
press crtl + f during the post so I have no way to set the raid up on the
intel chip. I don't get any message to enter the raid setup on the intel
chip. Am I missing something here? I have tried upgrading the bios to the
p4ced16 and gone back to the original. I have entered the bios and changed
the ide config to SATA yes and SATA bootrom. The 2 Maxtor drives are the
only drives connected at the moment. As far as I can see I have made the
changes in the bios which should allow the intel raid to function and I have
double checked the hard drives to make sure they are on the SATA1 and SATA2
connectors. Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

Glen

First if you're using the ICH5 for your raid and have nothing on the
promise, enter the BIOS and disable to the promise controller. Then try
setting up your intel raid again. If that fails, you might try and set your
disk boot order so that anything on the ICH5 (intel ctrl) is detected first
then the promise second. On mine I have a set of raptors in raid-0 on the
intel and a set of barracudas on the promise. My intel array is first in
the boot order and my promise is second.
"Glen" <meetfreeaddress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi People
>
> I have just upgraded the core of my computer adding an Asus P4C-E Deluxe,
> 3GHz P4, 1GB Corsair TwinX DDR, 2xSATA Maxtor. I am trying to set the
drives
> up as raid 0 on the Intel chip and the manual says press ctrl + l during
the
> post to set up the raid. The problem is I only get the promise chip giving
> press crtl + f during the post so I have no way to set the raid up on the
> intel chip. I don't get any message to enter the raid setup on the intel
> chip. Am I missing something here? I have tried upgrading the bios to the
> p4ced16 and gone back to the original. I have entered the bios and changed
> the ide config to SATA yes and SATA bootrom. The 2 Maxtor drives are the
> only drives connected at the moment. As far as I can see I have made the
> changes in the bios which should allow the intel raid to function and I
have
> double checked the hard drives to make sure they are on the SATA1 and
SATA2
> connectors. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> TIA
>
> Glen

Glen

Hi Michael

Thanks for replying. I already tried disabling the promise controller but
all I got was a warning that no hard discs could be found. As for the boot
order I only get the choice of CD\DVD or floppy. If I set the RAID up on the
promise chip I then get the choice of the hard drives to boot from. Nothing
about the intel chip. However, I think I might have found the problem. I
will repost once I try with the results.

Glen

"Michael Williams" <theobigmike@amaonline.com> wrote in message
> First if you're using the ICH5 for your raid and have nothing on the
> promise, enter the BIOS and disable to the promise controller. Then try
> setting up your intel raid again. If that fails, you might try and set
your
> disk boot order so that anything on the ICH5 (intel ctrl) is detected
first
> then the promise second. On mine I have a set of raptors in raid-0 on the
> intel and a set of barracudas on the promise. My intel array is first in
> the boot order and my promise is second.
> "Glen" <meetfreeaddress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi People
> >
> > I have just upgraded the core of my computer adding an Asus P4C-E
Deluxe,
> > 3GHz P4, 1GB Corsair TwinX DDR, 2xSATA Maxtor. I am trying to set the
> drives
> > up as raid 0 on the Intel chip and the manual says press ctrl + l during
> the
> > post to set up the raid. The problem is I only get the promise chip
giving
> > press crtl + f during the post so I have no way to set the raid up on
the
> > intel chip. I don't get any message to enter the raid setup on the intel
> > chip. Am I missing something here? I have tried upgrading the bios to
the
> > p4ced16 and gone back to the original. I have entered the bios and
changed
> > the ide config to SATA yes and SATA bootrom. The 2 Maxtor drives are the
> > only drives connected at the moment. As far as I can see I have made the
> > changes in the bios which should allow the intel raid to function and I
> have
> > double checked the hard drives to make sure they are on the SATA1 and
> SATA2
> > connectors. Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Glen

Glen

Well I just found the problem and I found a typo in the manual. The manual
says put the serial connectors for the intel RAID onto the SATA1 and SATA2
but when I did that the intel chip couldn't see the drives only the promise
chip could. To correct the problem I had to put the serial drives onto the
SATA controllers Not the SATA1 or SATA2. I double checked the manual and it
definaltely says the SATA1 and SATA2 connectors. Well that's a weekend
wasted but at least I found the problem.

Glen