Performance improvement from more memory?

My current spec is:

AMD-64 3400 (Clawhammer)
512MB PC3200 SDRAM
7200RPM ATA-133 HD
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card

In the Counter-Strike:Source graphics test I get 100FPS, and when playing
Source on a full 32 player server I get between 40 and 150 FPS.

How much of a performance gain will I get from adding an extra 512MB RAM?

geoff

i have an identical system only i have a 6600GT.... upgrading that AGP
card will give MUCH more of a boost for less... assuming you sell the
9800 pro for $150 and get a 6600gt agp for ~$185 thats only $35.

Tweaking windows to prioritize the hell out of HL2.exe is usefull too.
And a good defrag every now and then didnt hurt either.
Same with Cleaning up running processes.

The extra 512 in dual channel mode would help out a lot in terms of
memory effiency, unfortunately our 754 chips do not offer that and are
~95% efficient anyway with a bandwidth of ~3150 M/s

Basically you won't notice the extra 512, expecially since the entire
512 is being used in a single channel mode... with the on-die
controller 512 in single channel mode is more than you computer could
actually need, overclocking the 512 you have is your best bet. That
will increase performance more so than adding another 512.

To really get the memory flowing, make sure you have CL2 ram and see
how fast you can get it to go!

If you have a NF3-250 or a KT800 Pro chipset then there are endless
overclocking possibilities. But again, the extra 512 will basically
be money wasted.

Davey wrote:
> My current spec is:
>
> AMD-64 3400 (Clawhammer)
> 512MB PC3200 SDRAM
> 7200RPM ATA-133 HD
> ATI Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card
>
> In the Counter-Strike:Source graphics test I get 100FPS, and when playing
> Source on a full 32 player server I get between 40 and 150 FPS.
>
> How much of a performance gain will I get from adding an extra 512MB RAM?

I really don't understand all the posts suggesting another 512MB don't
be worth it. It was a major turning point for me. It allowed me to run
all Source games with High texture quality without any noticable
swapping, when before if I ran CS:S in High, or even HL2 in Med, I could
definately notice the swapping. It was a much better purchase than
another video card.

NB: My video card has 128MB video RAM.

"GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> Davey wrote:
>> My current spec is:
>>
>> AMD-64 3400 (Clawhammer)
>> 512MB PC3200 SDRAM
>> 7200RPM ATA-133 HD
>> ATI Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card
>>
>> In the Counter-Strike:Source graphics test I get 100FPS, and when playing
>> Source on a full 32 player server I get between 40 and 150 FPS.
>>
>> How much of a performance gain will I get from adding an extra 512MB RAM?
>
> I really don't understand all the posts suggesting another 512MB don't be
> worth it. It was a major turning point for me. It allowed me to run all Source
> games with High texture quality without any noticable swapping, when before if
> I ran CS:S in High, or even HL2 in Med, I could definately notice the
> swapping. It was a much better purchase than another video card.
>
> NB: My video card has 128MB video RAM.

What I was saying is the *he* wouldn't see much improvement in fps from what he
gets now with *his* system by adding another 512. That's not to say extra memory
will not create a performance boost for others. 40 - 150 fps is pretty much the
most you can expect of a 9800 pro no matter how much memory you throw at it.