Complete USB Failure

I have an A7N8X-X and cannot get it to recognise ANY USB devices.
There is a USB hub connected and this powers on at boot up, but powers
down again when Windows XP Pro starts to load.

Connecting any USB device to the mobo is useless - the OS just dosn't
see it.

All is OK in Device Manager and the USB devices themselves are fine.
USB is also enabled in BIOS. I even disabled windows power management
of USB devices but no luck...

How can I enable USB for this mobo??

Thanks

Paul

Splendid

In article <a444c261.0405310203.6470a90e@posting.google.com>,
drthomaspopple@hotmail.com (Thomas Popple) wrote:

> I have an A7N8X-X and cannot get it to recognise ANY USB devices.
> There is a USB hub connected and this powers on at boot up, but powers
> down again when Windows XP Pro starts to load.
>
> Connecting any USB device to the mobo is useless - the OS just dosn't
> see it.
>
> All is OK in Device Manager and the USB devices themselves are fine.
> USB is also enabled in BIOS. I even disabled windows power management
> of USB devices but no luck...
>
> How can I enable USB for this mobo??
>
> Thanks

Are the USBPWR_xx headers equipped with jumpers ? The jumpers are
set to the +5 position by default. If your USB devices have LEDs on
them, see if the LED is lighting, at least momentarily, indicating
that power is available.

There are "polyfuses" used to fuse protect the USB interfaces.
So, if a peripheral shorts one, it will recover automatically
after the short is removed. These fuses are permanent and will
not need to be replaced - they open when they get hot, and
close when they cool off again. Some kind of phase change effect
or something.

Since the USB interfaces are done with separate wires, it isn't
likely to be a "pin" failure, as some would work and some wouldn't
if that was the failure.

Does the Device Manager have a reasonable set of entries, and
are there drivers equipped for each USB device listed in the
Device Manager ?

http://usbman.com/Guides/checking_for_usb_2.htm
http://usbman.com/USB%202%20News.htm

What is the possibility the USB hub you have is defective ?
Have you tried the USB devices one at a time, without
the hub plugged in ?

Is "USB Controllers" enabled in the BIOS ?

HTH,
Paul

>I have an A7N8X-X and cannot get it to recognise ANY USB devices.
>There is a USB hub connected and this powers on at boot up, but powers
>down again when Windows XP Pro starts to load.
>
>Connecting any USB device to the mobo is useless - the OS just dosn't
>see it.
>
>All is OK in Device Manager and the USB devices themselves are fine.
>USB is also enabled in BIOS. I even disabled windows power management
>of USB devices but no luck...
>
>How can I enable USB for this mobo??
>
>Thanks

Try another brand of hub but realize they all can be nothing but
trouble. Adding USB PCI cards should be better.

Glen

Unplug all usb devices from the computer including all hubs. Start with one
usb device and see if Windows can see it. Once you get one device working
plug the others back in one at a time untill you find the problem device. If
you have a usb mouse and\or keyboard start with them.

Glen