P4P800 memory question

Is the P4P800 mb fussy about low density vs high density memory. I have two
1GB PC2700 DDR333 RAM sticks, that when installed prevent the AMI BIOS
8.00.09 from displaying. Black screen, no POST, just sits there doing
nothing. Installing just one does not change anything.

Any ideas?

Dean Slindee

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <10bnafpppad9ob9@corp.supernews.com>, "Dean Slindee" <slindee@charter.net> wrote:
>Is the P4P800 mb fussy about low density vs high density memory. I have two
>1GB PC2700 DDR333 RAM sticks, that when installed prevent the AMI BIOS
>8.00.09 from displaying. Black screen, no POST, just sits there doing
>nothing. Installing just one does not change anything.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Dean Slindee

What CPU are you trying to use???

Paul

Splendid

In article <c9grcn$ii2$2@news.xmission.com>, glenzabr@xmission.com (GMAN) wrote:

> In article <10bnafpppad9ob9@corp.supernews.com>, "Dean Slindee"
<slindee@charter.net> wrote:
> >Is the P4P800 mb fussy about low density vs high density memory. I have two
> >1GB PC2700 DDR333 RAM sticks, that when installed prevent the AMI BIOS
> >8.00.09 from displaying. Black screen, no POST, just sits there doing
> >nothing. Installing just one does not change anything.
> >
> >Any ideas?
> >
> >Dean Slindee
> >

> What CPU are you trying to use???

Do you have a brand and model number for the DIMM itself, and
a part number from one of the matrix of identical chips ? That
might make sleuthing a little easier. Maybe the memory is
registered, and not unbuffered ?

Another reason for a motherboard not to start, is the AGP_Warn
circuit. It checks for an illegally keyed old video card.
Specifically, it checks to see if pin A2 (backside of card, second
pin from faceplate) is grounded. If A2 (TYPEDET#) is open circuit,
this is interpreted as the user attempting to use a 3.3V I/O card
in a 1.5V only motherboard. The power won't switch on, if that
is the case.

Has the board been working with some other ram, or is this
a new build ?

Intel's official policy is to only support JEDEC memory
configurations. AFAIK, stacked memory is not a JEDEC configuration,
and if you got a real good deal on the ram, that is probably what
you got. That doesn't mean it won't work, just that Intel only
plans for the JEDEC ones to be inserted.

Perhaps a KVR400X64C3A/1G from this page, for $417, would work better.
http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=+14687+&distributor=0&submit1=Search

Paul

Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz Prescott FSB800 with Intel 865PE chipset. You are
probably right about a memory mismatch with Intel as the memory was not the
expensive type. However, neither was my old 512MB memory and it does work
on this motherboard. See my other post from 6/1/2004 titled "P4P800 5
beeps" for the complete build picture.

Perhaps getting some Kingston memory would solve both the memory and beeps
problems?

Dean Slindee
wrote:

> > In article <10bnafpppad9ob9@corp.supernews.com>, "Dean Slindee"
> <slindee@charter.net> wrote:
> > >Is the P4P800 mb fussy about low density vs high density memory. I
have two
> > >1GB PC2700 DDR333 RAM sticks, that when installed prevent the AMI BIOS
> > >8.00.09 from displaying. Black screen, no POST, just sits there doing
> > >nothing. Installing just one does not change anything.
> > >
> > >Any ideas?
> > >
> > >Dean Slindee
> > >

> > What CPU are you trying to use???
>
> Do you have a brand and model number for the DIMM itself, and
> a part number from one of the matrix of identical chips ? That
> might make sleuthing a little easier. Maybe the memory is
> registered, and not unbuffered ?
>
> Another reason for a motherboard not to start, is the AGP_Warn
> circuit. It checks for an illegally keyed old video card.
> Specifically, it checks to see if pin A2 (backside of card, second
> pin from faceplate) is grounded. If A2 (TYPEDET#) is open circuit,
> this is interpreted as the user attempting to use a 3.3V I/O card
> in a 1.5V only motherboard. The power won't switch on, if that
> is the case.
>
> Has the board been working with some other ram, or is this
> a new build ?
>
> Intel's official policy is to only support JEDEC memory
> configurations. AFAIK, stacked memory is not a JEDEC configuration,
> and if you got a real good deal on the ram, that is probably what
> you got. That doesn't mean it won't work, just that Intel only
> plans for the JEDEC ones to be inserted.
>
> Perhaps a KVR400X64C3A/1G from this page, for $417, would work better.

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=+14687+&distributor=0&submit1=Search

> Paul

Paul

Splendid

In article <10botuj9g3quba3@corp.supernews.com>, "Dean Slindee"
<slindee@charter.net> wrote:

> Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz Prescott FSB800 with Intel 865PE chipset. You are
> probably right about a memory mismatch with Intel as the memory was not the
> expensive type. However, neither was my old 512MB memory and it does work
> on this motherboard. See my other post from 6/1/2004 titled "P4P800 5
> beeps" for the complete build picture.
>
> Perhaps getting some Kingston memory would solve both the memory and beeps
> problems?
>
> Dean Slindee

The reason most 512MB modules work, is the most economical chips to
do the job, just happen to also be the most likely kind to work.
That is why, the lowest risk purchase you can make, is any ole
512MB double sided DIMM module. They are constructed with 32Mx8
chips, and the x8 part is what makes them work. There are two
banks of chips, 8 chips per bank, and that is more or less a
standard loading.

The 1GB modules can be constructed a number of ways, and whether
they are all used in practice or not, I don't know. One way to
do it, is use 16 devices, each of which is 128Mx4. This makes
a single bank (64 bits wide), but it has twice the loading for
the control signals. I don't remember all the details, but I
think there is some difference in refresh time, due to
the 128M thing, and possibly an additional address bit is
required on the multiplexed memory address bus. Some Northbridges
will fail to work with this, due to a missing address bit,
while others will fail, due to a lack of drive strength to
work with the memory reliably. If the stick you purchased isn't
registered, I'd suspect the former case, a lack of the
necessary address bit.

From the Northbridge datasheet, page 126
ftp://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/25252304.pdf

"All standard 128-Mb, 256-Mb and 512-Mb technologies and addressing
are supported for x16 and x8 devices."

AFAIK, for x4 devices to be legal, they have to be put on registered
modules. I don't think an unbuffered module is a valid configuration,
and at least some parts of the memory industry respect the intent
of having standards to design to.

Kingston will sell you a module made with the more expensive
64Mx8 parts. That is what you are paying for, that and the
continued obscurity of 1GB unbuffered modules.

My cynical impression of companies selling DIMMs with x4 chips,
is they make all their money from restocking fees, when customers
return them. The company only has to keep one DIMM on the
premises, and it keeps being shipped back and forth from
customer to customer, earning the company a 15% restocking
fee each time :)

HTH,
Paul

All very interesting. Asus must have a very forward looking philosophy when
it comes to anticipating future memory compatibility. One of the reasons I
purchased the P4P800 board was it's 4GB memory maximum. But, when you go to
Asus's Qualified Vendor List, there are currently only five 1GB sticks
listed, and only one of them is DDR400. I would expect that to grow over
time, but I would rather buy two 1GB sticks now and have two open slots for
the future than to buy four 512MB sticks and have to toss half or all of
them in the future. It just looks like the motherboard is far ahead of the
memory compatibility (and perhaps it must be).

Dean Slindee