Can't install hardware

Ok - I've tried everything and can't beat this one....
I'm specifically trying to install a USB Cable Modem, but
the problem I'm having applies to all hardware - I can't
install any. When the wizard finds/is pointed to the
correct drivers it starts to transfer them to system32 and
then I see the 'Finish' screen - but one with the error
message:
"There was a problem installing this hardware XXXXX
(whatever)"
"An error occurred suring the installation of the device"
"The system cannot find the file specified"

The wierd thing is, I tried to reinstall a USB CF card
reader that I have. This problem occurs, device manager
states that no drivers are loaded for the device, and yet
it's listed as a drive under Explorer.
If I could this to happen for my USB cable modem I'd be
happy, but it won't work at all - devmgmt tells me that no
drivers are loaded.
Any ideas folks????
2 answers Last reply
More about install hardware

    Hi daniel

    any luck I cannot install my HP psc9950 i load all software and when the install starts i get the same error messages as you, yet i can install my printer on my laptop which runs windows me ?????????????????

    I have the exact same problem as both of you, I cannot install any hardware because I keep getting the error message "there was a problem installing the new hardware. The system cannot find the file specified". When I go to the device manager there it says the drivers have not yet been installed. When I choose the location of the driver in the advanced mode it says that no information regarding the hardware is present there. I have downloaded all of the lates drivers off the manufactures website and still no luck. If anyone can help me with this problem please respond to my email address discoman29@hotmail.com or post it here.

Hardware Drivers Windows XP