Using audio cable for DVD Drive connected to motherboard

The instructions to installing my Dual CD RW/DVD RW drive say to connect the
audio cable if necessary. I am running Windows XP Professional with
motherboard built in sound--Soundstorm.

Do I need to attach the audio cable from the drive to my motherboard? At
this point XP seems to be working OK, and I can play CD's etc, I have not
yet loading the DVD burning software. My drive says that it is using
digital audio with the drive.

No you don't need the analog audio cable.

"Lori Kuiper" <Lori_478@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:O48jBUHOEHA.556@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> The instructions to installing my Dual CD RW/DVD RW drive say to connect the
> audio cable if necessary. I am running Windows XP Professional with
> motherboard built in sound--Soundstorm.
>
> Do I need to attach the audio cable from the drive to my motherboard? At
> this point XP seems to be working OK, and I can play CD's etc, I have not
> yet loading the DVD burning software. My drive says that it is using
> digital audio with the drive.

Thanks for the info. I will leave it hooked up as is without the cable.
"David B." <NoMail@NOSPAM.net> wrote in message
> No you don't need the analog audio cable.

> "Lori Kuiper" <Lori_478@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > The instructions to installing my Dual CD RW/DVD RW drive say to connect
the
> > audio cable if necessary. I am running Windows XP Professional with
> > motherboard built in sound--Soundstorm.
> >
> > Do I need to attach the audio cable from the drive to my motherboard?
At
> > this point XP seems to be working OK, and I can play CD's etc, I have
not
> > yet loading the DVD burning software. My drive says that it is using
> > digital audio with the drive.

simonchipmunk

Reputable
I am a bit confused on the subject. I just installed a new gigabyte motherboard. I am running WIN XP PRO also. I have a CD-ROM(master)running on IDE, a DVD/Cd-R-RW Burner ROM on SATA. the manual for the board says to use a 4 pin cable to connect from the analog 4 pin connection of CD-ROM/DVD to the Audio-In header header on the motherboard.
I don't have the digital cable,, but when I play CD's on the CD-ROM I get music coming out of the speakers. I feel like I am in a catch 22 situation.what should I do?