On a new build with an Asus P4P800 mb, and AMIBIOS 8.00.09, getting 5 POST
beeps before video and before the OK beep. Probably 3 long, 2 short (might
be 2 long 3 short, or just 5 steady beeps). Using an Intel 3.0 GHz Prescott
CPU, FSB800, Intel
865PE chipset with 1 GB PC2700 DDR333 RAM. After the OK beep, the boot
cycle goes to conclusion and the OS is loaded fine.

I have downloaded the AMIBOIS Beep Code List from AMI, which indicates that
5 beeps is a fatal error indicator. However, the system does successfully
boot. I pulled all the PCI cards except the video card, still 5 beeps.
Houston, is there a problem?

Thanks,
Dean Slindee

Paul

Splendid

In article <10bosfas479o0fe@corp.supernews.com>, "Dean Slindee"
<slindee@charter.net> wrote:

> On a new build with an Asus P4P800 mb, and AMIBIOS 8.00.09, getting 5 POST
> beeps before video and before the OK beep. Probably 3 long, 2 short (might
> be 2 long 3 short, or just 5 steady beeps). Using an Intel 3.0 GHz Prescott
> CPU, FSB800, Intel
> 865PE chipset with 1 GB PC2700 DDR333 RAM. After the OK beep, the boot
> cycle goes to conclusion and the OS is loaded fine.
>
> I have downloaded the AMIBOIS Beep Code List from AMI, which indicates that
> 5 beeps is a fatal error indicator. However, the system does successfully
> boot. I pulled all the PCI cards except the video card, still 5 beeps.
> Houston, is there a problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Dean Slindee

Count the beeps, then count the number of USB devices you
have plugged in. Remove some of the USB devices. Boot
again and listen to the beep count change. The AMI
BIOS writers have a strange sense of humor, and feel the
tradition of beeping only for problems is to be violated
by enumerating USB devices with beeps as well.

Paul

ROFL, you are so right! And I just spent $20 on a POST board this morning
to help track this down. Should have talked to you first. On second
thought, maybe it will be a good investment, to defend myself against future
AMI BIOS virus-beep messages.
Thanks,
Dean
> In article <10bosfas479o0fe@corp.supernews.com>, "Dean Slindee"
> <slindee@charter.net> wrote:
>
> > On a new build with an Asus P4P800 mb, and AMIBIOS 8.00.09, getting 5
POST
> > beeps before video and before the OK beep. Probably 3 long, 2 short
(might
> > be 2 long 3 short, or just 5 steady beeps). Using an Intel 3.0 GHz
Prescott
> > CPU, FSB800, Intel
> > 865PE chipset with 1 GB PC2700 DDR333 RAM. After the OK beep, the boot
> > cycle goes to conclusion and the OS is loaded fine.
> >
> > I have downloaded the AMIBOIS Beep Code List from AMI, which indicates
that
> > 5 beeps is a fatal error indicator. However, the system does
successfully
> > boot. I pulled all the PCI cards except the video card, still 5 beeps.
> > Houston, is there a problem?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dean Slindee
>
> Count the beeps, then count the number of USB devices you
> have plugged in. Remove some of the USB devices. Boot
> again and listen to the beep count change. The AMI
> BIOS writers have a strange sense of humor, and feel the
> tradition of beeping only for problems is to be violated
> by enumerating USB devices with beeps as well.
>
> Paul

I believe the latest bios update fixes this problem.

"Dean Slindee" <slindee@charter.net> wrote in message
> ROFL, you are so right! And I just spent $20 on a POST board this morning
> to help track this down. Should have talked to you first. On second
> thought, maybe it will be a good investment, to defend myself against
future
> AMI BIOS virus-beep messages.
> Thanks,
> Dean
> > In article <10bosfas479o0fe@corp.supernews.com>, "Dean Slindee"
> > <slindee@charter.net> wrote:
> >
> > > On a new build with an Asus P4P800 mb, and AMIBIOS 8.00.09, getting 5
> POST
> > > beeps before video and before the OK beep. Probably 3 long, 2 short
> (might
> > > be 2 long 3 short, or just 5 steady beeps). Using an Intel 3.0 GHz
> Prescott
> > > CPU, FSB800, Intel
> > > 865PE chipset with 1 GB PC2700 DDR333 RAM. After the OK beep, the
boot
> > > cycle goes to conclusion and the OS is loaded fine.
> > >
> > > I have downloaded the AMIBOIS Beep Code List from AMI, which indicates
> that
> > > 5 beeps is a fatal error indicator. However, the system does
> successfully
> > > boot. I pulled all the PCI cards except the video card, still 5
beeps.
> > > Houston, is there a problem?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Dean Slindee
> >
> > Count the beeps, then count the number of USB devices you
> > have plugged in. Remove some of the USB devices. Boot
> > again and listen to the beep count change. The AMI
> > BIOS writers have a strange sense of humor, and feel the
> > tradition of beeping only for problems is to be violated
> > by enumerating USB devices with beeps as well.
> >
> > Paul

Greysky

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002

> In article <10bosfas479o0fe@corp.supernews.com>, "Dean Slindee"
> <slindee@charter.net> wrote:
>
> > On a new build with an Asus P4P800 mb, and AMIBIOS 8.00.09, getting 5
POST
> > beeps before video and before the OK beep. Probably 3 long, 2 short
(might
> > be 2 long 3 short, or just 5 steady beeps). Using an Intel 3.0 GHz
Prescott
> > CPU, FSB800, Intel
> > 865PE chipset with 1 GB PC2700 DDR333 RAM. After the OK beep, the boot
> > cycle goes to conclusion and the OS is loaded fine.
> >
> > I have downloaded the AMIBOIS Beep Code List from AMI, which indicates
that
> > 5 beeps is a fatal error indicator. However, the system does
successfully
> > boot. I pulled all the PCI cards except the video card, still 5 beeps.
> > Houston, is there a problem?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dean Slindee
>
> Count the beeps, then count the number of USB devices you
> have plugged in. Remove some of the USB devices. Boot
> again and listen to the beep count change. The AMI
> BIOS writers have a strange sense of humor, and feel the
> tradition of beeping only for problems is to be violated
> by enumerating USB devices with beeps as well.
>
> Paul

Well, they could have made it worse: say one beep for each kilobyte of
memory installed.... ;)