a7n8x-dlx wake on lan mystery

I've succeeded in getting WOL to work with this board if the machine
is powered down using the case on/off switch. However, if I startup
and shutdown win2k (including a power off by win2k), WOL will not
work, machine does not power up. Anyone have an idea on this
"feature" of win2k which seems to defeat WOL? Something is being done
during shutdown to the NIC it appears. I'm using the Nforce
networking device ATM.

--
Best regards,
Kyle

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Onboard WOL only works to awaken a pc from standby, not powered down.

"Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> I've succeeded in getting WOL to work with this board if the machine
> is powered down using the case on/off switch. However, if I startup
> and shutdown win2k (including a power off by win2k), WOL will not
> work, machine does not power up. Anyone have an idea on this
> "feature" of win2k which seems to defeat WOL? Something is being done
> during shutdown to the NIC it appears. I'm using the Nforce
> networking device ATM.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kyle

I think my comments below disprove your statement. When the machine
is "powered down" I can awake it with a magic packet, but only if I
manually power down the machine using the power switch (such as during
display of the win2k boot menu). Something else is going on here. I
realize that WOL is supposed to work from standby.

--
Best regards,
Kyle