New AMD 64 System

Hi

Im going to get a AMD 64 2800+ or 3000+ cpu and an asus K8V Deluxe
Mobo. Can you have a look at my current system and tell me if i need
to replace anything else. Im sure jus a new mobo and cpu should do it.

Asus A7N8x-E Deluxe
Athlon XP 3200+ 400 FSB
3x 256MB Kingston PC3200 RAM ( 768MB Total )
Maxtor 80GB 7200 RPM IDE HDD
IBM 60GB 7200 RPM IDE HDD
Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB AGP card
Audigy 2 ZS
Aver Freeview PCI Card
Floppy drive
Lite On 8x Dual Format DVD Writer
Plextor 52x32x52 CDRW
Creative 6.1 speakers
USB Media Reader.

Fairly certain everything else is ok to go in new system. I will use
the ide hard drives for now, but might get a single 160gb SATA drive
in the future and buy a couple of external housing for the ide hard
drives.

Then i will try to recoup some of what i spend by offering the a7n8x-e
and barton 3200+ cpu on ebay for a hundred and twenty quid or so.

Cheers for any advice.

paul
15 answers Last reply
More about system

    In article <hhmpb0tref579k0l4djpdbranhuumidscf@4ax.com>, me!!
    <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Im going to get a AMD 64 2800+ or 3000+ cpu and an asus K8V Deluxe
    > Mobo. Can you have a look at my current system and tell me if i need
    > to replace anything else. Im sure jus a new mobo and cpu should do it.
    >
    > Asus A7N8x-E Deluxe
    > Athlon XP 3200+ 400 FSB
    > 3x 256MB Kingston PC3200 RAM ( 768MB Total )
    > Maxtor 80GB 7200 RPM IDE HDD
    > IBM 60GB 7200 RPM IDE HDD
    > Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB AGP card
    > Audigy 2 ZS
    > Aver Freeview PCI Card
    > Floppy drive
    > Lite On 8x Dual Format DVD Writer
    > Plextor 52x32x52 CDRW
    > Creative 6.1 speakers
    > USB Media Reader.
    >
    > Fairly certain everything else is ok to go in new system. I will use
    > the ide hard drives for now, but might get a single 160gb SATA drive
    > in the future and buy a couple of external housing for the ide hard
    > drives.
    >
    > Then i will try to recoup some of what i spend by offering the a7n8x-e
    > and barton 3200+ cpu on ebay for a hundred and twenty quid or so.
    >
    > Cheers for any advice.
    >
    > paul

    Page 38 of the manual, shows how the kind of DIMMs you use,
    restrict the memory bus operating speed. Since the processor
    now drives the memory directly, this is a function of the
    way the processor is designed, and not the motherboard:

    ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock754/k8v/e1421b_k8v_deluxe.pdf

    The datasheet for the Athlon64, shows it can run the memory bus
    async to the FSB. Page 14 of this doc shows the speed options:

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/24659.PDF

    I don't expect problems. Try your current memory, and it may
    just decide to go at DDR400 anyway (it will be a luck of the
    draw thing). If it isn't memtest86 stable (memtest.org), then
    buy a 512MB PC3200 stick to replace the two 256MB sticks, and
    maybe that will be enough to make a difference. For best
    performance on most processors, you want the FSB and memory
    clocks to be synchronous, or having the same speed. The
    reason for this, is synchronous operation allows the
    removal of resynchronization latches and the attendant
    increase in latency they cause.

    The manual I quote above, is probably not the board you are
    buying, as there are newer models of the K8V line that will
    currently be available at retail. Go to the Asus download page
    to locate the one you want.

    The other thing to notice in this motherboard transition, is the
    K8V has a ATX 12V 2x2 power plug, just like a P4 board. This
    means the processor no longer draws its current from +5V, like
    on the A7N8X, but now the load is moved to the +12V output of
    your power supply. You may want to investigate whether your PS
    is a good match for the new board, in terms of output on the
    +12V rail. And also, whether your PS has the necessary 2x2
    square plug.

    HTH,
    Paul

    So why upgrade to a 64 bit o/s, unless you use linux, when there is only a
    beta win o/s that can utilise the hardware, and there is v.little software
    that can take advantage of 64 bit.
    By the time any software is available, late 2005 if that can be believed,
    I'm sure you will have needed to upgrade at least a dozen times!
    I note that yr hd's are quite small so I take it yr not doing anything
    significant.
    Quite frankly yr waisting yr money, you would probably get more bang out of
    yr existing setup by using twin sata stripped drives and matched memory, and
    assuming yr gaming changing the video card. - but then I'm only bitter and
    twisted.

    On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 00:26:21 +0100, "D" <anon@spoof.com> wrote:

    >So why upgrade to a 64 bit o/s, unless you use linux, when there is only a
    >beta win o/s that can utilise the hardware, and there is v.little software
    >that can take advantage of 64 bit.

    People seem to miss the point that the amd64 cpu's run 32bit faster
    than Athlon XP's and do it with less heat. The key factor is the
    800Mhz FSB matching Intel's old advantage.

    The ability to run 64bit is just a bonus.

    Of course, Amd64's will still be running software long after 32 bit
    cpu's get tossed.

    Will it run WindowsXP ? I guess yes, but am not sure.

    "john" <john@nospam.com> a écrit dans le message de
    > On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 00:26:21 +0100, "D" <anon@spoof.com> wrote:
    >
    > >So why upgrade to a 64 bit o/s, unless you use linux, when there is only
    > >beta win o/s that can utilise the hardware, and there is v.little
    software
    > >that can take advantage of 64 bit.
    >
    > People seem to miss the point that the amd64 cpu's run 32bit faster
    > than Athlon XP's and do it with less heat. The key factor is the
    > 800Mhz FSB matching Intel's old advantage.
    >
    > The ability to run 64bit is just a bonus.
    >
    > Of course, Amd64's will still be running software long after 32 bit
    > cpu's get tossed.

    Yep, runs XP without an issue. Currently running XP Pro service pack 1.

    Your setup looks pretty decent tho like Paul said you dont want to run 3 DIMM's
    for your RAM. you can only run a max of 2 DIMMs if you intend to run it at
    400mhz.

    I'd recomend picking up one 512 meg for now then pick up another later when you
    can afford it.

    Having this board I can tell you the thing is a bit picky about its ram so make
    sure you test it out with memtest87+. Its a memory testing program that loads
    from a floppy at boot.

    Cheers
    Arie

    "D" <anon@spoof.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > clocks to be synchronous, or having the same speed. The
    > > reason for this, is synchronous operation allows the
    > > removal of resynchronization latches and the attendant
    > > increase in latency they cause.
    > >
    > > The manual I quote above, is probably not the board you are
    > > buying, as there are newer models of the K8V line that will
    > > currently be available at retail. Go to the Asus download page
    > > to locate the one you want.
    > >
    > > The other thing to notice in this motherboard transition, is the
    > > K8V has a ATX 12V 2x2 power plug, just like a P4 board. This
    > > means the processor no longer draws its current from +5V, like
    > > on the A7N8X, but now the load is moved to the +12V output of
    > > your power supply. You may want to investigate whether your PS
    > > is a good match for the new board, in terms of output on the
    > > +12V rail. And also, whether your PS has the necessary 2x2

    You might want to consider that the 939 boards should be
    out soon, possibly later this month.

    If nothing else, the price of the current boards & CPU should
    fall.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby wrote:
    > You might want to consider that the 939 boards should be
    > out soon, possibly later this month.
    >
    > If nothing else, the price of the current boards & CPU should
    > fall.
    Doesn't look so unfortunately, the prices of the new socket 939 cpus amd
    offers are sky-high (slowest one 500 USD!!!), higher than anything AMD
    offers currently on socket 754, obviously AMD doesn't want/can't ship
    high volumes right now.
    OTOH, some intel prescotts 3.6/3.8/4.0 would surely have a healthy
    effect on those AMD prices ;-). Not sure exactly when (if?) intel
    manages to do that though, iirc the 3.6 should be out fairly soon when
    socket-T/LGA775 is launched (and the 3.6 might not be enough to drive
    amd prices down if it's itself priced above current P4 instead of
    driving their prices down).

    Roland

    "Roland Scheidegger" <rscheidegger@gmx.ch> wrote in message
    > Ken Maltby wrote:
    > > You might want to consider that the 939 boards should be
    > > out soon, possibly later this month.
    > >
    > > If nothing else, the price of the current boards & CPU should
    > > fall.
    > Doesn't look so unfortunately, the prices of the new socket 939 cpus amd
    > offers are sky-high (slowest one 500 USD!!!), higher than anything AMD
    > offers currently on socket 754, obviously AMD doesn't want/can't ship
    > high volumes right now.
    > OTOH, some intel prescotts 3.6/3.8/4.0 would surely have a healthy
    > effect on those AMD prices ;-). Not sure exactly when (if?) intel
    > manages to do that though, iirc the 3.6 should be out fairly soon when
    > socket-T/LGA775 is launched (and the 3.6 might not be enough to drive
    > amd prices down if it's itself priced above current P4 instead of
    > driving their prices down).
    >
    > Roland

    So far, accurately predicting future price or performance in this
    area is about as likely as predicting the winning Lotto numbers.
    It is also true that "there's always something better on the horizon".

    I just think that this may be one of those times when a real
    change is likely to show within a month or so. Those who bought
    the first flavor of P4, might agree that it could be worth the wait.
    {It might be : "Those who fail to profit from history are doomed
    to repeat it." or it might not.}

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby wrote:
    > "Roland Scheidegger" <rscheidegger@gmx.ch> wrote in message
    >
    >>Ken Maltby wrote:
    >>
    >>> You might want to consider that the 939 boards should be
    >>>out soon, possibly later this month.
    >>>
    >>> If nothing else, the price of the current boards & CPU should
    >>>fall.
    >>
    >>Doesn't look so unfortunately, the prices of the new socket 939 cpus amd
    >>offers are sky-high (slowest one 500 USD!!!), higher than anything AMD
    >>offers currently on socket 754, obviously AMD doesn't want/can't ship
    >>high volumes right now.
    >>OTOH, some intel prescotts 3.6/3.8/4.0 would surely have a healthy
    >>effect on those AMD prices ;-). Not sure exactly when (if?) intel
    >>manages to do that though, iirc the 3.6 should be out fairly soon when
    >>socket-T/LGA775 is launched (and the 3.6 might not be enough to drive
    >>amd prices down if it's itself priced above current P4 instead of
    >>driving their prices down).
    >>
    >>Roland
    >

    > So far, accurately predicting future price or performance in this
    > area is about as likely as predicting the winning Lotto numbers.
    Actually, that's not quite true. cpu pricing is in fact, quite
    predictable (though more so for intel cpus than for amd). intel's
    pricing scheme looks exactly the same since 2 years or so now. Whenever
    they introduce a new cpu, the price is the same as the former
    highest-grade cpu (so when introducing the 3.4, it cost the same as the
    3.2 did before). All existing cpus shift down their price point one
    notch at the same time (i.e. the 3.2 now costs as much as the 3.0 did).
    The pattern changed slightly, because of the EE editions (so the top
    spot is way more expensive than before, but the non-EE topspot is
    cheaper than before).
    AMD pretty much follows intels pricing pattern since some time now
    (there official prices are _exactly_ the same as intels for all A64 cpus
    with the equivalent rating).
    But, what happened this time with the new athlon 64 cpus, is that amd
    prices them way above all existing cpus, instead of making the other
    cheaper. This indicates they are waiting for intel to introduce
    higher-speed cpus (with the equivalent rating) and waiting for intel to
    cut prices.
    So, the only question remaining is, WHEN will the prices be cut (the new
    prices themselves are already known). Most recent information I've seen
    indicated june 21 as the launch date for a 3.6Ghz Prescott (lga-775).
    So, if you're lucky, the prices will get some adjustment then, but the
    roadmap indicate intel will follow amd's pattern and introduce that chip
    above the others. Next intel pricecut is supposed to be on August 22,
    expect AMD to cut prices at the same time (though AMD retail prices do
    not follow official prices that strictly as intel prices, especially
    when there is an official price cut soon, amd prices always begin to
    drop some time (weeks/month) before that slowly, intel prices in
    contrast really get cut the day the price cut is announced) which is
    quite a long time to wait...
    You can get that information for instance here:
    http://freespace.virgin.net/m.warner/CPUPricesIntel.htm
    (of course, it does not necessarily need to be true. You can find lots
    of other websites all telling you the same, which does not increase
    reliability since they are all using the same sources. Still, the
    information you can find that way is typically fairly accurate.)

    > It is also true that "there's always something better on the horizon".
    No objections...

    > I just think that this may be one of those times when a real
    > change is likely to show within a month or so.
    I just wouldn't bet "within a month". IMHO more likely is "within 3 month".

    Roland

    Roland Scheidegger wrote:
    <Big snip>
    > I just wouldn't bet "within a month". IMHO more likely is "within 3
    > month".
    >
    > Roland

    You've obviously been studying :-)

    I tend to agree with you... since 939 is new technology, that doesn't really
    replace any existing technology (754 will be phased out over a year or so,
    but 939 is not really replacing it) expect to pay a premium for it (and any
    other Dual Channel 64bit processor). It doesn't necessarily mean price cuts
    until faster models come out WITH competition. I haven't been following
    prices at all really, so I'm just guessing.

    Ben

    > Actually, that's not quite true. cpu pricing is in fact, quite
    > predictable (though more so for intel cpus than for amd). intel's
    > pricing scheme looks exactly the same since 2 years or so now. Whenever
    > they introduce a new cpu, the price is the same as the former
    > highest-grade cpu (so when introducing the 3.4, it cost the same as the
    > 3.2 did before). All existing cpus shift down their price point one
    > notch at the same time (i.e. the 3.2 now costs as much as the 3.0 did).
    > The pattern changed slightly, because of the EE editions (so the top
    > spot is way more expensive than before, but the non-EE topspot is
    > cheaper than before).
    > AMD pretty much follows intels pricing pattern since some time now
    > (there official prices are _exactly_ the same as intels for all A64 cpus
    > with the equivalent rating).
    > But, what happened this time with the new athlon 64 cpus, is that amd
    > prices them way above all existing cpus, instead of making the other
    > cheaper. This indicates they are waiting for intel to introduce
    > higher-speed cpus (with the equivalent rating) and waiting for intel to
    > cut prices.
    > So, the only question remaining is, WHEN will the prices be cut (the new
    > prices themselves are already known). Most recent information I've seen
    > indicated june 21 as the launch date for a 3.6Ghz Prescott (lga-775).
    > So, if you're lucky, the prices will get some adjustment then, but the
    > roadmap indicate intel will follow amd's pattern and introduce that chip
    > above the others. Next intel pricecut is supposed to be on August 22,
    > expect AMD to cut prices at the same time (though AMD retail prices do
    > not follow official prices that strictly as intel prices, especially
    > when there is an official price cut soon, amd prices always begin to
    > drop some time (weeks/month) before that slowly, intel prices in
    > contrast really get cut the day the price cut is announced) which is
    > quite a long time to wait...
    > You can get that information for instance here:
    > http://freespace.virgin.net/m.warner/CPUPricesIntel.htm
    > (of course, it does not necessarily need to be true. You can find lots
    > of other websites all telling you the same, which does not increase
    > reliability since they are all using the same sources. Still, the
    > information you can find that way is typically fairly accurate.)
    >
    > Roland

    I bow to your obviously greater understanding of the factors
    involved. Say, you don't pick stocks; do you?

    Luck;
    Ken

    On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 21:25:30 +0200, Roland Scheidegger
    <rscheidegger@gmx.ch> wrote:

    Talking about CPU prices, heres a blast from the past...
    Cheers,
    Ed(USA)

    THE CHIP MERCHANT 09/20/1996
    ----------------------------
    Pentium 166 $398.00
    Pentium 200 $627.00

    AMD K5-90 $59.00
    AMD K5-100 $82.00

    CYRIX 6X86-P150+ $155.00
    CYRIX 6X86-P166+ $256.00

    THE CHIP MERCHANT 06/30/1997
    ----------------------------------
    Pentium 166 MMX (Box) $326.00
    Pentium 200 MMX (Box) $525.00
    Pentium 233 MMX (Box) $640.00
    P-II 233 512k (Box) $675.00
    P-II 266 512k (Box) $865.00
    P-Pro 200 512k $1055.00

    AMD K5 133 $76.00
    AMD K5 166 $95.00
    AMD K6 166 $220.00
    AMD K6 200 $270.00
    AMD K6 233 $495.00

    Cyrix 6x86-PR166+ $74.00
    Cyrix 6x86L-PR-200+ $92.00
    Cyrix 6x86-PR-200+ $103.00

    32MB SDRAM 4x64-10ns 168pin $156.00
    64MB SDRAM 8x64-10ns 168pin $390.00

    THE CHIP MERCHANT 03/08/1999
    ----------------------------
    Intel Celeron 333/128K Box $84.00
    Intel Celeron 400/128K OEM $152.00
    Intel Pentium II® 333/512 OEM $150.00
    Intel Pentium III® 450/512 Box $545.00
    Intel Pentium III® 500/512 Box $745.00

    AMD-K62™-350/100MHz OEM $95.00
    AMD-K62™-350/100MHz Box $105.00
    AMD-K62™-400/100MHz OEM $174.00

    CYRIX® MII-300GP 66MHz Bus $46.00
    CYRIX® MII-333GP 83MHz Bus $57.00

    PC100 4X64 [32MB] $45.00
    PC100 8X64 [64MB] $85.00
    PC100 16X64 [128MB] $168.00
    PC100 32X64 [256MB] $447.00

    Today's average CPU prices.
    -----------------------
    P4 3.4GHz EE $1054
    P4 3.4GHz Prescot $489
    P4 3.2GHz Prescot $294
    P4 3.2GHz EE $895
    P4 3.06 533 $217

    AMD64 FX 53 939 $839
    AMD64 FX 53 $761
    A64 3800+ $698
    A64 3500+ $485
    A64 3400+ $398
    A64 3200+ $268
    AXP 3200+ 400 $150

    =|[ Ed's ]|= wrote:

    > Talking about CPU prices, heres a blast from the past...
    > <snip old cpu prices>
    > Cheers,
    > Ed(USA)

    Haha, Great posting! - mind boggling how the technology has been evolving.

    --
    ' android

    On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 19:16:47 +0100, Creeping Stone <l@l.lll> wrote:

    >Haha, Great posting! - mind boggling how the technology has been evolving.

    MORE? :)
    Top 10 or 12 lowest priced vendors on www.pricewatch.com
    Prices include OEM and Retail boxed and may or may not include S&H.
    ******** Fri. Feb 01 2002 02:06pm CT ********
    CPU Name Avg Low Entries
    Athlon XP 2000 $268 $261 10
    Athlon XP 1500 $102 $99 10

    Athlon 1.4GHz 266 FSB $97 $93 10
    Athlon 1.1GHz 200 FSB $82 $76 10

    Duron 1.3GHz $97 $89 9
    Duron 1GHz $48 $45 10

    Pentium 4 2.2GHz Sock 478 $547 $530 10
    Pentium 4 2.0GHz Sock 478 $338 $332 10
    Pentium 4 1.5GHz Sock 478 $135 $123 10

    Pentium III 1.26GHz 512K $257 $238 10
    Pentium III 1GHz $115 $111 10

    Celeron 1.1GHz $76 $72 10
    Celeron 1GHz $69 $66 10

    Via-Cyrix 700 $40 $39 2

    ******** Sat Feb 01 2003 07:01pm CT ********
    CPU Name Avg Low Entries
    Athlon XP 3000 $632 $624 8
    Athlon XP 2800 $406 $399 8
    Athlon XP 2500 $197 $193 6
    Athlon XP 2000 $72 $69 10
    Athlon XP 1500 $51 $39 10

    Duron 1.3GHz $37 $35 10
    Duron 1.2GHz $34 $30 10
    Duron 1.1GHz $28 $25 10

    Pentium 4 3.06GHz $631 $625 10
    Pentium 4 2.8GHz $371 $362 10
    Pentium 4 2.6GHz $272 $261 10
    Pentium 4 2.0GHz Sock 478 $152 $142 10
    Pentium 4 1.5GHz Sock 478 $109 $104 10

    Celeron 2.0GHz $88 $82 10
    Celeron 1.8GHz $71 $65 10
    Celeron 1.7GHz $55 $52 10

    ******** Fri Jan 02 2004 01:23 am CT ********
    CPU Name Avg Low Entries
    Athlon 64 FX $738 $722 12

    Athlon 64 3200 $404 $403 12
    Athlon 64 3000 $227 $213 12

    Athlon XP 3200 400 $310 $289 12
    Athlon XP 3000 400 $237 $199 7
    Athlon XP 2800 333 $134 $128 12
    Athlon XP 2600 333 $90 $84 12
    Athlon XP 2400 $71 $68 12

    Pentium 4 3.2GHz 800 2MB EE $966 $909 8

    Pentium 4 3.2GHz 800 $392 $370 12
    Pentium 4 3.0GHz 800 $270 $266 12
    Pentium 4 2.8GHz 800 $208 $197 12
    Pentium 4 2.6GHz 800 $173 $166 12
    Pentium 4 2.4GHz 800 $160 $156 12

    ******** Mon May 31 2004 02:01 pm CT ********
    CPU Name Avg Low Entries
    Xeon 3.2GHz 533FSB 1MB $833 $791 5
    Xeon 3.0GHz 533FSB 1MB $632 $550 5

    Opteron 850 $1605 $1605 1
    Opteron 848 $1274 $1248 4
    Opteron 846 $914 $855 5

    Athlon 64 FX 53 $750 $732 12
    Athlon 64 FX 51 $750 $727 12

    Athlon 64 3400 $398 $369 12
    Athlon 64 3200 $268 $255 12

    Athlon XP 3200 400 $148 $135 12

    Pentium 4 3.4GHz 800MHz 2MB Extreme $1057 $1015 12
    Pentium 4 3.2GHz 800MHz 2MB Extreme $892 $857 12

    Pentium 4 3.4GHz Prescott $485 $473 7
    Pentium 4 3.2GHz Prescott $293 $285 12

    Pentium 4 3.4GHz 800MHz $406 $399 12
    Pentium 4 3.2GHz 800MHz $269 $262 12

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    =|[ Ed's ]|= wrote:

    > On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 19:16:47 +0100, Creeping Stone <l@l.lll> wrote:
    >
    >>Haha, Great posting! - mind boggling how the technology has been evolving.
    >
    > MORE? :)

    Well it was these that made me chuckle first,
    >P-II 233 512k (Box) $675.00
    >P-II 266 512k (Box) $865.00
    >P-Pro 200 512k $1055.00

    Thinking in a few years, the P4 Extreme might be seen as weedy as those
    chips seem now. But while, on one hand, it all seems relative, on the other
    hand processing power can be set against practical milestones, where chips
    with enough power are capable of certain types of work, and others arent.

    So PIIs and slow PIIIs really bagged the bloated office suite and OS
    requirements but arent up to comfortably dealing with media processing,
    while P4s and AthlonXPs can. What is hoped for upgrading beyond besides
    smoother frames for gamers? The power to smoothly juggle virtual machines
    maybe, and in a couple of years time - realtime Video
    transcription/translation, watching security cameras...voice input ??
    A few more years, intellegent virtual butlers ?

    I remember reading with glee about a chip in a lab that was 32bit and
    running 100 Mhz when cooled with liquid nitrogen. That was when I was a
    kid, obsessed with a Vic20 -in awe of C64. Mastertronic tapes and 'input'
    magazines in the newsagent. It was very exciting.

    I can see how for those with a suitable disposable income, some
    satisfaction can be got from driving the very latest chips like the P4EE
    and Opteron now, but they dont seem to break any new performance barriers.
    Im still 100% satisfied with my tweaked and now undervolted XP2000's
    performance, but then I do have to stay away from computer games having
    junked-out on them in the past.

    -I thought the old price lists were quite poigniant to the scope of this
    upgrading thread. But for those who crave the bestest, best wishes to them,
    its no so expensive compared to other hobbies :]

    cheers,
    --
    ' gathering moss,
    android