P4P800 sharing IRQ 16 with Radeon 9800 Pro

as the subject says...

Is this normal? - I have lots of IRQs free but I can't get the USB to
change to another one. Maybe a complete uninstall of my Radeon? I feel
my video card is not running up to snuf...

--
Need a brighter headlight the safe way?
Get a MOTORCYCLE HEADLIGHT RELAY KIT at:

Paul

Splendid

In article <pvcqb09qd3an0qggdvmv1bbhh4flno4t66@nwall.odn.ne.jp>,
JBDavis@hkg.odn.ne.jp wrote:

> as the subject says...
>
> Is this normal? - I have lots of IRQs free but I can't get the USB to
> change to another one. Maybe a complete uninstall of my Radeon? I feel
> my video card is not running up to snuf...

Maybe they are wired together. That will make escaping pretty
difficult. I guess it just has to work. Maybe you can figure
out which pair of USB ports corresponds to that IRQ, and not
plug any USB devices into those ports. And go into the Device
Manager USB section and disable the device entry that
corresponds as well. When you look at a lot of motherboard
manuals, the USB IRQs are kinda randomly distributed, when
they could have connected all the USBs to one signal. The
implication is the designer felt it doesn't matter.

Paul

Paul

Splendid

In article <nospam-0106042345110001@192.168.1.177>, nospam@needed.com
(Paul) wrote:

> In article <pvcqb09qd3an0qggdvmv1bbhh4flno4t66@nwall.odn.ne.jp>,
> JBDavis@hkg.odn.ne.jp wrote:
>
> > as the subject says...
> >
> > Is this normal? - I have lots of IRQs free but I can't get the USB to
> > change to another one. Maybe a complete uninstall of my Radeon? I feel
> > my video card is not running up to snuf...
>
> Maybe they are wired together. That will make escaping pretty
> difficult. I guess it just has to work. Maybe you can figure
> out which pair of USB ports corresponds to that IRQ, and not
> plug any USB devices into those ports. And go into the Device
> Manager USB section and disable the device entry that
> corresponds as well. When you look at a lot of motherboard
> manuals, the USB IRQs are kinda randomly distributed, when
> they could have connected all the USBs to one signal. The
> implication is the designer felt it doesn't matter.
>
> Paul

Also, you might consider running dxdiag from the directx
install. There are three buttons for Directdraw, Direct3D,
and AGP Textures. I'm fighting with some issues right now,
where I cannot get AGP textures enabled.

If AGP texture transfer is disabled, 3DMark2001se drops
from 17000 to 14000. That isn't perceived as sluggish, but
it is measureable. (As is a 100 point loss going from DX8
to DX9.)

If directdraw is disabled or refuses to work, you may find
a perceptable painting of rectangular windows on your desktop.
This could be due to polled transfer of the processor directly
into the frame buffer, which would be slower than say a DMA
transfer from off screen memory into the frame buffer. That
is perceptable.

My problem right now, is I'm trying to move a Win2K disk from
my old Intel chipset board to a P4C800-E. I figured out how
to get it to boot, but I cannot get AGP enabled, even though
Device Manager has a Processor to AGP bridge device listed
and an AGP440 driver installed. Everything works fine with a
clean install of Win2K on a spare disk, but possibly the
remnants of some old video card drivers is somehow interfering
with things. The previous machine had a R8500 in it, and while
I uninstalled the drivers for that before doing anything else,
and ran a driver cleaner, I still suspect that has something
to do with it.

Your problem might be something similar, so at least run
"dxdiag" from the Run menu item, to see what the status of
your install is.

HTH,
Paul

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 03:14:59 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul)
wrote/replied to:

>Also, you might consider running dxdiag from the directx
>install. There are three buttons for Directdraw, Direct3D,
>and AGP Textures. I'm fighting with some issues right now,
>where I cannot get AGP textures enabled.
>
>If AGP texture transfer is disabled, 3DMark2001se drops
>from 17000 to 14000. That isn't perceived as sluggish, but
>it is measureable. (As is a 100 point loss going from DX8
>to DX9.)

Well, I took out the P4P800 and put in my Gigabyte 8SQ800. My Radeon
no longer shares an IRQ. My sound card does :)

I now have an AGP texture issue I never had before, but otherwise it's
running well.

Weird, I reinstalled DX8.0b and now my control panel DXDiag is gone!

--
Need a brighter headlight the safe way?
Get a MOTORCYCLE HEADLIGHT RELAY KIT at:
http://ebeaver.oberro.com
I'm a BMW rider and enthusiast
Jim Davis

I had an issue with my Radeon 9000 sharing an IRQ16 with my ASUS board;
the AGP socket was wired to share IRQ16 and, according to ATI, the
Radeon only used IRQ 16. The issue was the use of a USB controller,
which was a problem with a USB hard drive that I had purchased for
backup. I had to ditch the USB hdd....

Ken K

Jim Davis Nature Photography wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 03:14:59 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul)
>wrote/replied to:
>

>>Also, you might consider running dxdiag from the directx
>>install. There are three buttons for Directdraw, Direct3D,
>>and AGP Textures. I'm fighting with some issues right now,
>>where I cannot get AGP textures enabled.
>>
>>If AGP texture transfer is disabled, 3DMark2001se drops
>>

>>from 17000 to 14000. That isn't perceived as sluggish, but
>

>>it is measureable. (As is a 100 point loss going from DX8
>>to DX9.)
>>

>Well, I took out the P4P800 and put in my Gigabyte 8SQ800. My Radeon
>no longer shares an IRQ. My sound card does :)
>
>I now have an AGP texture issue I never had before, but otherwise it's
>running well.
>
>Weird, I reinstalled DX8.0b and now my control panel DXDiag is gone!

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 21:08:10 -0700, Ken K
<psnwREMOVE@theREMOVEkrones.com> wrote/replied to:

>I had an issue with my Radeon 9000 sharing an IRQ16 with my ASUS board;
>the AGP socket was wired to share IRQ16 and, according to ATI, the
>Radeon only used IRQ 16. The issue was the use of a USB controller,
>which was a problem with a USB hard drive that I had purchased for
>backup. I had to ditch the USB hdd....

Yup. If you ask me, this is a major fault with this MB.

I have installed a Gigabyte 8SQ800 and Radeon is no longer shared.

But this MB has other issues :)