Moving Hard Disk From One Laptop To Another

a b D Laptop
May 13, 2004 9:54:52 AM

Can anyone help me with this problem I'm having.

Because I have to build a lot of laptops I've resorted to
making an image of one laptop and then deploying it to
others. The problem is, with Windows XP it doesn't seem
to like the image which has been built on another laptop.
When it starts to access the hard disk, it just sits
there with a flashing cursor in the top left-hand corner.

Any ideas how I can get around this.

Thanks,

DGC.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 13, 2004 5:14:32 PM

Check if cloned disk has an active partition. Patch the master disk
according to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314082
You Receive a Stop 0x0000007B Error After You Move the Windows XP System
Disk to Another Computer
and recreate the master image.
If nothing above works for you, then run 'sysprep' before creating the
master image.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 14, 2004 3:01:02 AM

"DGC" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone help me with this problem I'm having.
>
> Because I have to build a lot of laptops I've resorted to
> making an image of one laptop and then deploying it to
> others. The problem is, with Windows XP it doesn't seem
> to like the image which has been built on another laptop.
> When it starts to access the hard disk, it just sits
> there with a flashing cursor in the top left-hand corner.
>
> Any ideas how I can get around this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> DGC.

You cannot do this unless your hardware is almost
identical. If it is then try this:

While the disk is still in the old machine, replace the
specific driver for Master IDE Controller with the generic
Microsoft driver.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 14, 2004 4:55:37 AM