Moving Hard Disk From One Laptop To Another

Can anyone help me with this problem I'm having.

Because I have to build a lot of laptops I've resorted to
making an image of one laptop and then deploying it to
others. The problem is, with Windows XP it doesn't seem
to like the image which has been built on another laptop.
When it starts to access the hard disk, it just sits
there with a flashing cursor in the top left-hand corner.

Any ideas how I can get around this.

Thanks,

DGC.
3 answers Last reply
More about moving hard disk laptop another

    Check if cloned disk has an active partition. Patch the master disk
    according to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314082
    You Receive a Stop 0x0000007B Error After You Move the Windows XP System
    Disk to Another Computer
    and recreate the master image.
    If nothing above works for you, then run 'sysprep' before creating the
    master image.

    "DGC" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone help me with this problem I'm having.
    >
    > Because I have to build a lot of laptops I've resorted to
    > making an image of one laptop and then deploying it to
    > others. The problem is, with Windows XP it doesn't seem
    > to like the image which has been built on another laptop.
    > When it starts to access the hard disk, it just sits
    > there with a flashing cursor in the top left-hand corner.
    >
    > Any ideas how I can get around this.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > DGC.

    You cannot do this unless your hardware is almost
    identical. If it is then try this:

    While the disk is still in the old machine, replace the
    specific driver for Master IDE Controller with the generic
    Microsoft driver.

    Thanks for the help.

    DGC

Laptops Hard Drives Windows XP