A7n8X-e deluxe bios

Hello,

reading some of the posts here, it seems Asus have realized a 1009, even a
1010 bios for venerable A7n8X-e deluxe.

Looking at the Global Asus site, last bios is still 1008.

Where do u guys have found this new bioses?

Don't look for them. Asus has withdrawn them for godd reasons.
I know. I ruined a CPU with version 1010.

Bitstring <2gkvc.154666$Ca5.2172785@wagner.videotron.net>, from the
wonderful person Natéag <nono@nowhere.ca> said
>Don't look for them. Asus has withdrawn them for godd reasons.
>I know. I ruined a CPU with version 1010.

Seconded. IMO you do NOT flash a new BIOS unless a) you have problems
with the old one and b) you have some reason to believe the new one
fixes the problems you have. Anything else is just plain dumb - not as
dumb as Russian Roulette, but headed in that direction..

Since the OP can't find the 1009 or 1010 BIOS he can't have any idea
what they might have fixed (even if he has some problems worth fixing)
... and as we all know, being ASUS, they are quite likely to have broken
something.

Not to mention the 0.x% possibility of a total mis-flash and a dead
board.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Il Wed, 02 Jun 2004 09:05:04 -0400, Natéag ha scritto:

> Don't look for them. Asus has withdrawn them for godd reasons.
> I know. I ruined a CPU with version 1010.

Good god!!!

Can u please tell more details about this CPU mess with version 1010?

PS: I'm just curious, my system is rock solid with bios 1008, no need for
a new bios

Barton 2500@185x155
1024 Kingston PC2700 Value ram
2x160GB Maxtor 8MB cache HD Raid0 on Sataraid

Il Wed, 02 Jun 2004 21:48:48 +0200, _P_e_ar_lALegend ha scritto:

> Il Wed, 02 Jun 2004 09:05:04 -0400, Natéag ha scritto:
>
>> Don't look for them. Asus has withdrawn them for godd reasons.
>> I know. I ruined a CPU with version 1010.
>>
> Good god!!!
>
> Can u please tell more details about this CPU mess with version 1010?
>
> PS: I'm just curious, my system is rock solid with bios 1008, no need for
> a new bios

Oooops, error:

Barton 2500@ 185 x 185 FSB and Mem in sync! :)
1024 Kingston PC2700 Value ram
I run them in 2-2-2-5 WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM, fast like hell :)
2x160GB Maxtor 8MB cache HD Raid0 on Sataraid soooooo fast too

I like this motherboard (my previous was A7v133 (very good too)

I just found the 1010 bios at this address for people interested:

ftp://www.asuscom.de/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/nforce2/a7n8x-e/

No release notes :-(((

Any idea whats new in it?

>> "_P_e_ar_lALegend" <end_6@leg.it> a écrit dans le message de
>>> Hello,
>>>

>>> reading some of the posts here, it seems Asus have realized a 1009, even a
>>> 1010 bios for venerable A7n8X-e deluxe.
>>>
>>> Looking at the Global Asus site, last bios is still 1008.
>>>
>>> Where do u guys have found this new bioses?

Paul

Splendid

In article <pan.2004.06.02.20.00.38.583419@leg.it>, _P_e_ar_lALegend
<end_6@leg.it> wrote:

> Il Wed, 02 Jun 2004 21:48:48 +0200, _P_e_ar_lALegend ha scritto:
>
> > Il Wed, 02 Jun 2004 09:05:04 -0400, Natéag ha scritto:
> >
> >> Don't look for them. Asus has withdrawn them for godd reasons.
> >> I know. I ruined a CPU with version 1010.
> >>
> > Good god!!!
> >
> > Can u please tell more details about this CPU mess with version 1010?
> >
> > PS: I'm just curious, my system is rock solid with bios 1008, no need for
> > a new bios
> >
> Oooops, error:
>
> Barton 2500@ 185 x 185 FSB and Mem in sync! :)
> 1024 Kingston PC2700 Value ram
> I run them in 2-2-2-5 WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM, fast like hell :)
> 2x160GB Maxtor 8MB cache HD Raid0 on Sataraid soooooo fast too
>
> I like this motherboard (my previous was A7v133 (very good too)
>
> I just found the 1010 bios at this address for people interested:
>
> ftp://www.asuscom.de/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/nforce2/a7n8x-e/
>
> No release notes :-(((
>
> Any idea whats new in it?

You could check on nforcershq.com for some comments on those
two BIOS. I think they have some improperly installed RAID
BIOS code in them, as someone hacked the two BIOS, replaced
the RAID BIOS portion, and then the BIOS worked. But like the
other posters have pointed out, the experiment has been done,
and 1009 and 1010 are not to be used, no matter where you
find them. And personally, I wouldn't be touching 1011 whenever
it comes out either :-( Wait for someone else to test it,
preferably someone with a BIOS Savior, in case a newer BIOS
is also bad. If your 1008 works with no probs, be happy.

Paul

nospam@needed.com (Paul) schrieb:

>You could check on nforcershq.com for some comments on those
>two BIOS. I think they have some improperly installed RAID
>BIOS code in them, as someone hacked the two BIOS, replaced
>the RAID BIOS portion, and then the BIOS worked. But like the
>other posters have pointed out, the experiment has been done,
>and 1009 and 1010 are not to be used, no matter where you
>find them. And personally, I wouldn't be touching 1011 whenever
>it comes out either :-( Wait for someone else to test it,
>preferably someone with a BIOS Savior, in case a newer BIOS
>is also bad. If your 1008 works with no probs, be happy.

My board has been delivered with 1009. And I'm having some power down
problems with it. I wrote about in another thread. Should I go back to
1008? I would make a backup copy before of course.

Hans

Paul

Splendid

In article <g2msb01r5mctedp1up790n25et0tc0in66@4ax.com>, Hans J. Ude
<hajue.ude@arcor.de> wrote:

> nospam@needed.com (Paul) schrieb:
>
> >You could check on nforcershq.com for some comments on those
> >two BIOS. I think they have some improperly installed RAID
> >BIOS code in them, as someone hacked the two BIOS, replaced
> >the RAID BIOS portion, and then the BIOS worked. But like the
> >other posters have pointed out, the experiment has been done,
> >and 1009 and 1010 are not to be used, no matter where you
> >find them. And personally, I wouldn't be touching 1011 whenever
> >it comes out either :-( Wait for someone else to test it,
> >preferably someone with a BIOS Savior, in case a newer BIOS
> >is also bad. If your 1008 works with no probs, be happy.
>
> My board has been delivered with 1009. And I'm having some power down
> problems with it. I wrote about in another thread. Should I go back to
> 1008? I would make a backup copy before of course.
>
> Hans

I don't know if you saw my answer to your original post or not.
I propose you use the power monitor in the BIOS, to watch what
happens to the system parameters just before the machine shuts
off. That might give you an idea as to where the problem is.

You could have a CPU overheat problem, so watch the CPU temperature.
The PSU could be shutting off, and you might notice the voltages
from the PSU going out of spec. The CPU draws its power from
the +5V rail (as far as I know on an Athlon board), so watch
if the +5V is a lot lower than normal.

Don't be in too much of a rush to flash the BIOS. Every flash
comes with a degree of risk of a flash failure. Flashing from
a floppy is safer than flashing from Windows. But now, think
about this - if your computer is not stable - say you start to
flash and the computer shuts down before you are finished.
What will you do then, when the flash chip is corrupted ?

Do some investigation first, before jumping to conclusions.
If this was my problem, and I didn't have recourse to any
measurement tools at all, I would start by removing the CPU
heatsink, and applying fresh thermal paste. I would make sure
the heatsink was installed properly, not tilted or rotated
from the proper position. The square of metal on the bottom
of the heatsink should align with the center of the silicon
die - if it doesn't align, then figure out why.

After improving the contact between HSF and CPU, if there was
no improvement in symptoms, then it would be time to try
another power supply.

BIOS flashing should only be attempted if the computer is
completely stable. An unstable system is a poor candidate
for flashing. Just like, don't attempt flashing during a
thunder storm :) The power will go off in the middle of
flashing for sure.

HTH,
Paul

>> I just found the 1010 bios at this address for people interested:
>>
>> ftp://www.asuscom.de/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/nforce2/a7n8x-e/
>>
>> No release notes :-(((
>>
>> Any idea whats new in it?
>>
> You could check on nforcershq.com for some comments on those
> two BIOS. I think they have some improperly installed RAID
> BIOS code in them, as someone hacked the two BIOS, replaced
> the RAID BIOS portion, and then the BIOS worked.

My 1008 bios is a tweaked bios too, becouse I personally replaced
SilconImage SataRAID bios with new version (.47).

It is simple, and improved Raid performance.

I just not understand people disappointed by this motherboard: it's top
class stability and performance and I'm also surprised to read bad
comments about Asus Bioses: I'm using Asus starting from 80486 boards and
they always are a step above the competitors.