Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If money is not an issue

what would you buy ?

Sony G420s
Samsung 900NF
LG 915FT+ (+ is important )

??

neither are cheap CRT but i wanna know what are you opinions?

G

Specs on these are as follows:

Sony G420s Aperture Grill, 0.24 dot pitch, 1600x1200@85Hz
Samsung 900NF Aperture Grill, 0.25 dot pitch, 1600x1200@75Hz
Flatron 915FT+ Slot Mask, 0.24 dot pitch, 1600x1200@85Hz

The + on Flatron refers to the built in USB ports.

While all three are excellent monitors the Sony and Flatron are better than the Samsung due to dot pitch and refresh rate. The choice then comes down to Aperture Grill or Slot Mask. Some people complain about the support wires on the Aperture Grill being visible under white background conditions. I for one find them distracting. Bottom line the Flatron wins.

compuhan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Sony is generally very good. Regardless of identical crt technologies, electronics make a difference. If price is no object get the gdm f520, it arguably the best of the best (certainly in price!). Due to the lack of good monitor reviews, I'd get a trusted name brand. Picture quality is the most important criteria given the relative closeness of specs. Don't always trust dot pitch, use it only on a very gross level (i.e. .22 vs .30). 75hz may be pushing the minimum flicker requirement (even if you can't see it may affect you subconsciously--I know it sounds funny but it is true--your peripheral vision is more sensitive to flicker--more light cones while color cones are concentrated in the center). I don't like sumsung except for flat panels (very highly rated in this category). Haven't really heard of flatron.

Quality is better than name brand, even regarding beloved AMD.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I vote for the Sony :)

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/about.php?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/about.php?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

prod

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
I just got the LG 795+, similar to the 915+ you mentioned and the 995+. It is very nice and you would have to compare it side to side with the sony to see any difference in picture quality. Except for the lack of support wires that is. :) The totally flat screen even looks slightly concave, just like the sony. How they manage that on a shadow mask is a mystery to me.
Given the high price of the sony (almost double), my choice was easy. But if money is no object (really?) then I would go for sony.
BTW samsung is discontinuing their NF line, I couldnt find one to test in stores.