Sign in with
Your question

The win7 upgrade LIE

Last response: in Windows 7
October 28, 2009 7:51:14 PM

I got suckered into getting the upgrade version, and being told i could upgrade xp/vista to win7 32bit or 64 bit. Nothing but BS LIES.

REAL truth is you are only allowed to use win7 64bit if you have xp 64bit or vista 64bit PERIOD. only allowed to use win7 32bit if you have xp 32bit or vista 32bit PERIOD.

Worse part is you have to install your OS TWICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The win7 upgrade disk are NOT BOOTABLE. You are REQUIRED to have xp/vista installed first (with internet connection), even you are NOT doing the upgrade (aka custom).

Can't believe i got suckered good. I really tried to make sure i could use the win7 64bit version. Guess i have to wait for the class action lawsuit for false advertising to get my money back, since the package is open now...

More about : win7 upgrade lie

a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2009 7:59:56 PM

seeing as the upgrade DVD is bootable why dont you try a clean install ?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2009 8:12:12 PM

So how do you 'upgrade' a blank unformatted hard drive then, exactly?, as an upgrade would require you to have something to upgrade from and a 64bit install has never been possible from way back to XP 64 which could not be installed over XP 32 just like Vista 64 could not be installed over Vista 32 and there are very good reasons why but if you are not savy enough to investigate this then do not expect any sympathy here if all you want to do is rant.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2009 8:23:14 PM

...apparently, someone didn't read the instructions.
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 28, 2009 8:33:51 PM

computertech82 said:
I got suckered into getting the upgrade version, and being told i could upgrade xp/vista to win7 32bit or 64 bit. Nothing but BS LIES.

REAL truth is you are only allowed to use win7 64bit if you have xp 64bit or vista 64bit PERIOD. only allowed to use win7 32bit if you have xp 32bit or vista 32bit PERIOD.

The win7 upgrade disk are NOT BOOTABLE. You are REQUIRED to have xp/vista installed first (with internet connection), even you are NOT doing the upgrade (aka custom).

Can't believe i got suckered good. I really tried to make sure i could use the win7 64bit version. Guess i have to wait for the class action lawsuit for false advertising to get my money back, since the package is open now...

Don't blame Microsoft for your inability to use common sense. You won't be in the class action suit, because one person doesn't qualify as class action.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2009 8:33:53 PM

Scotteq said:
...apparently, someone didn't read the instructions.

Ahh the age old "Shall we read the instructions?, or just f**k it up ourselves?" I know which one I tend to do and let's just say that paperwork is rarely involved. :lol: 
m
l
October 28, 2009 8:51:11 PM

ulysses35 said:
seeing as the upgrade DVD is bootable why dont you try a clean install ?

are you on acid? The upgrade dvds ARE NOT BOOTABLE.

The instructions, stores and even microsoft pretend/proclaim you can upgrade xp/vista to win7 64bit, which is a lie. only allowed upgrade 32bit to 32bit and 64bit to 64bit.

Anyone here have the common sense to figure out that's false advertisment?

(and btw, the upgrades of xp and vista allow clean installs, just requires original disk to authenticate). I do a fresh install of xp upgrade on a 2nd computer every year.. so don't try to feed that bs to me...)
m
l
October 28, 2009 9:22:42 PM

wow, you really are sad. maybe you should learn before answeing. the upgrade dvds are NOT bootble period. even microsoft admits they are NOT bootle.

gee, i wonder if the maker of the software know their own software?
m
l
October 28, 2009 9:24:31 PM

rofl at the link :D 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2009 10:10:26 PM

The upgrade DvD is in fact bootable. You have to be smarter then the DvD. You have to boot from DvD first, it will ask you for a key form your previous version durning the install.

The obvious has always been stated that you cant go from 32bit to 64bit.

Next time you dont have the capacity to use some common sense and read the directions post first, before you click buy.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrad...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/32-bit-and-...

All you have done to day is prove you are an Idiot.

Im going out on a limb here and make some assumptions.

You tried to upgrade 32 to 64 and found out it is a no go. Shame on you.
Your key should work for either 32 or 64. Mine does.
You bought 64 bit thinking you could upgrade from 32. We already talked about your first problem, now for your 2nd problem: I bet anything that your Processor doesnt support 64bit, hence why you think the DvD isnt bootable, because it wont if you have 32bit processor.

The info you need is available freely on the web it took me 5 secs to look it up for you. This is no ones fault but your own.

If I were you I would find somewhere to download 32 bit and use your key with it so its not a total loss.
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 28, 2009 10:12:31 PM

Even with a CPU that is only 32 bit capable, the DVD will still boot, it will just stop the install when you try to run it saying that the copy you are trying to install won't work due to the missing 64 bit instruction set.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2009 10:16:39 PM

The_Prophecy said:
Even with a CPU that is only 32 bit capable, the DVD will still boot, it will just stop the install when you try to run it saying that the copy you are trying to install won't work due to the missing 64 bit instruction set.

Been there done that, felt like an ass for not checking first.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2009 10:19:27 PM

The_Prophecy said:

Exactly, but that is probably why the OP thinks its not bootable.
m
l
October 28, 2009 10:52:32 PM

computertech82 said:

Sounds like a screaming case of PEBKAC to me! But that's ok, all you have to do is gently pull your head out of your a$s and become and informed consumer. Good luck!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2009 11:00:06 PM

Ok, I think I'm over doing it..... :lol: 
m
l
October 29, 2009 12:32:01 AM

once and for all, the dvd is bootable

the dvd is bootable

the dvd is bootable

you can go to 64 bit from 32 bit, you just have to do a clean install

you can install the upgrade version on a bare metal hard drive

the dvd is bootable
m
l
October 29, 2009 12:41:22 AM

As posted in other upgrade notes:

I found out that as long as the hard drive has a version of Windows XP on it, you can use the bootable DVD's "Format hard drive" first option, to do a clean install of the upgrade.

IF HOWEVER you formatted the drive first, it will detect that there is no version of Windows on there and will not let you enter the product key. It will tell you that you have an upgrade version and that the product key is invalid, and you cannot activate the update !!!!

If you have formatted your hard drive already and want to use the Upgrade DVD to do a clean install you can do the following:

1) Don't call Microsoft. They're idiots and don't know you can get around this. The stupid woman told me I had to purchase a full license because I had removed XP. Moron.

2) Boot from the upgrade disk. Do a clean install, but do not enter a product key when it asks you. It will still install the product, but you won't be able to activate it.

3) Once the installation is finished, boot off of the disk again, and this time do a Custom upgrade installation, but choose to format the hard drive from the GUI. Because it detects a version of windows on the drive already, it will format the hard drive and retain the knowledge that it noticed a valid version of windows on there already. It will then let you enter the product key AND activate the installation.

m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 29, 2009 1:06:23 AM

MarkToronto said:
1) Don't call Microsoft. They're idiots and don't know you can get around this. The stupid woman told me I had to purchase a full license because I had removed XP. Moron.

Actually they do know you can get around this. If they had a problem with this, they would have reverted back to the Pre-Windows XP SP3 days and forced you to enter a product key.
m
l
October 29, 2009 3:11:30 AM

Oh I know SOME of them do and that they deliberately built it this way.

When I called their support though - because I thought my product key was a misprint, the woman was completely clueless. She kept telling me over and over that I HAD TO purchase a full version of Win7 64, even though I kept telling her I had the 32 bit version of Windows XP. She said I had to purchase a full version to get to 64 bit, and that I could not upgrade 32 to 64. Which is completely untrue, and most people know it.
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 29, 2009 3:59:36 AM

You can't upgrade from 32 to 64 bit. The net result is a fresh install with data preservation. Technically speaking, she was right.
m
l
November 4, 2009 11:04:57 PM

Update: i have dug much deeper into this issue. Seems to be more complicated then a simple black/white issue. Seems there are system (including mine) that will not boot the win7 upgrade dvds. It's a little harder to find out why though.

In my case, the problem is sata drives and running a raid system. Seems that running raid (4 sata ports-only 2 harddrives running the raid) on my system DISABLES the sata dvd drive for bootup, but works perfectly fine in windows. The old ide cd drive, is allowed to boot, but not the sata dvd drive. If i disable the raid, it allows the sata dvd drive to be bootable. just my luck.
So to fix my issue, it's either getting a ide dvd, or non-raid the system, or getting a 2nd sata controller.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 4, 2009 11:17:37 PM

computertech82 said:
Update: i have dug much deeper into this issue. Seems to be more complicated then a simple black/white issue. Seems there are system (including mine) that will not boot the win7 upgrade dvds. It's a little harder to find out why though.

In my case, the problem is sata drives and running a raid system. Seems that running raid (4 sata ports-only 2 harddrives running the raid) on my system DISABLES the sata dvd drive for bootup, but works perfectly fine in windows. The old ide cd drive, is allowed to boot, but not the sata dvd drive. If i disable the raid, it allows the sata dvd drive to be bootable. just my luck.
So to fix my issue, it's either getting a ide dvd, or non-raid the system, or getting a 2nd sata controller.

Nothing but BS LIES. Check Mattel for instructions. At least for any of the fine points related to installing an OS on you're system.
m
l
!