cant find Compact Flash on laptop

May 13, 2004 11:16:08 AM

I have a compaq tablet pc which comes with a CF slot (I think its the PCMCIA/ATAPI controller). was working fine until I updated Norton yesterday and now when I insert the card I hear a sound which means somethings inserted but when I go to find the data , it's not there. I'm using it to transfer canon camera pics. Canon zoombrowser program says "no camera found". BUT if I connect to camera via USB cable, then the pics are there. So it must be a hardware problem. Please help. I cant locate the problem.
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 5:32:43 PM

Have you checked the Norton options to see what it is doing?
CF is a type of flash memory, PCMCIA is not the same, it may
be used for many purposes.

Check the properties for the slot (a flash card should
appear as a drive in My Computer) and see what it is set to
do.

"daffy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
| I have a compaq tablet pc which comes with a CF slot (I
think its the PCMCIA/ATAPI controller). was working fine
until I updated Norton yesterday and now when I insert the
card I hear a sound which means somethings inserted but when
I go to find the data , it's not there. I'm using it to
transfer canon camera pics. Canon zoombrowser program says
"no camera found". BUT if I connect to camera via USB cable,
then the pics are there. So it must be a hardware problem.
Please help. I cant locate the problem.
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 11:51:04 PM

that's the problem. I cant see it showing up as a drive on My computer. How do I get it to show? looked in Norton but as a newbie, I dont know what i am looking for and where to look.
May 14, 2004 1:58:31 AM

Right click on the My Computer icon on the desktop, select
properties. The system properties window will open, select
the hardware tab, then device manager.
Look for the drive and see what is shown.

| that's the problem. I cant see it showing up as a drive on
My computer. How do I get it to show? looked in Norton but
as a newbie, I dont know what i am looking for and where to
look.
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 2:52:47 AM

Had a similar problem myself several months ago..it turned out that I had
the TweakUI powertoy installed and had not placed a check next to the drive
that my card reader would have occupied (I think in my case it was the
letter "I").

Bobby

"daffy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> that's the problem. I cant see it showing up as a drive on My computer.
> How do I get it to show? looked in Norton but as a newbie, I dont know
> what i am looking for and where to look.
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 8:56:03 AM

ok I have found the deviec. In device manager, under Disk Drives it is showing as SanDisk SDFB-256 when I plug it in. But I still can't find it when I look in "My Computer". only thing showing up in that window is C: drive which is the main drive. nothing else. How do I find the SanDisk? The device manager says its working properly. you will have to spell it out to me b'causse I'm not good at finding stuff on this computer.
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 12:28:36 PM

Connect the device. Right click the My Computer icon and
select manage, find the disk management section and format
the drive.

| ok I have found the deviec. In device manager, under Disk
Drives it is showing as SanDisk SDFB-256 when I plug it in.
But I still can't find it when I look in "My Computer". only
thing showing up in that window is C: drive which is the
main drive. nothing else. How do I find the SanDisk? The
device manager says its working properly. you will have to
spell it out to me b'causse I'm not good at finding stuff on
this computer.

Anonymous
May 14, 2004 12:40:45 PM

Guess what?? I turned off my computer and turned it on
again to read your message. When I inserted the CF the
computer said "found new hardware" and installed it to D:
so I guess by reinstalling the driver and rebooting, the
problem was fixed.

Just as well b'cause when I went to follow your
instructions (out of curiosity), I got as far as the disk
management bit but then I dont know what to click to
format the drive. There is no button saying "format" that
I could see. Can you please teach me this just in case I
need it in the future. Thanks a million

Anonymous
May 14, 2004 4:58:59 PM

Glad you got the problem fixed.

To your second request, right click My Computer, select
Manage. Find Disk Management under storage. Select the
drive, click on Actions/All Tasks and you'll see format.

Don't be afraid to browse around and look at the menus in
Windows, that's how I learned.

news:D 2ed01c439c9$d28b70e0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
| Guess what?? I turned off my computer and turned it on
| again to read your message. When I inserted the CF the
| computer said "found new hardware" and installed it to D:
| so I guess by reinstalling the driver and rebooting, the
| problem was fixed.
|
| Just as well b'cause when I went to follow your
| instructions (out of curiosity), I got as far as the disk
| management bit but then I dont know what to click to
| format the drive. There is no button saying "format" that
| I could see. Can you please teach me this just in case I
| need it in the future. Thanks a million

| >|
| >|
| >|