cant find Compact Flash on laptop

I have a compaq tablet pc which comes with a CF slot (I think its the PCMCIA/ATAPI controller). was working fine until I updated Norton yesterday and now when I insert the card I hear a sound which means somethings inserted but when I go to find the data , it's not there. I'm using it to transfer canon camera pics. Canon zoombrowser program says "no camera found". BUT if I connect to camera via USB cable, then the pics are there. So it must be a hardware problem. Please help. I cant locate the problem.
9 answers Last reply
More about cant find compact flash laptop

    Have you checked the Norton options to see what it is doing?
    CF is a type of flash memory, PCMCIA is not the same, it may
    be used for many purposes.

    Check the properties for the slot (a flash card should
    appear as a drive in My Computer) and see what it is set to
    do.

    "daffy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    | I have a compaq tablet pc which comes with a CF slot (I
    think its the PCMCIA/ATAPI controller). was working fine
    until I updated Norton yesterday and now when I insert the
    card I hear a sound which means somethings inserted but when
    I go to find the data , it's not there. I'm using it to
    transfer canon camera pics. Canon zoombrowser program says
    "no camera found". BUT if I connect to camera via USB cable,
    then the pics are there. So it must be a hardware problem.
    Please help. I cant locate the problem.

    that's the problem. I cant see it showing up as a drive on My computer. How do I get it to show? looked in Norton but as a newbie, I dont know what i am looking for and where to look.

    Right click on the My Computer icon on the desktop, select
    properties. The system properties window will open, select
    the hardware tab, then device manager.
    Look for the drive and see what is shown.

    | that's the problem. I cant see it showing up as a drive on
    My computer. How do I get it to show? looked in Norton but
    as a newbie, I dont know what i am looking for and where to
    look.

    Had a similar problem myself several months ago..it turned out that I had
    the TweakUI powertoy installed and had not placed a check next to the drive
    that my card reader would have occupied (I think in my case it was the
    letter "I").

    Bobby

    "daffy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > that's the problem. I cant see it showing up as a drive on My computer.
    > How do I get it to show? looked in Norton but as a newbie, I dont know
    > what i am looking for and where to look.

    ok I have found the deviec. In device manager, under Disk Drives it is showing as SanDisk SDFB-256 when I plug it in. But I still can't find it when I look in "My Computer". only thing showing up in that window is C: drive which is the main drive. nothing else. How do I find the SanDisk? The device manager says its working properly. you will have to spell it out to me b'causse I'm not good at finding stuff on this computer.

    Connect the device. Right click the My Computer icon and
    select manage, find the disk management section and format
    the drive.

    | ok I have found the deviec. In device manager, under Disk
    Drives it is showing as SanDisk SDFB-256 when I plug it in.
    But I still can't find it when I look in "My Computer". only
    thing showing up in that window is C: drive which is the
    main drive. nothing else. How do I find the SanDisk? The
    device manager says its working properly. you will have to
    spell it out to me b'causse I'm not good at finding stuff on
    this computer.

    Guess what?? I turned off my computer and turned it on
    again to read your message. When I inserted the CF the
    computer said "found new hardware" and installed it to D:
    so I guess by reinstalling the driver and rebooting, the
    problem was fixed.

    Just as well b'cause when I went to follow your
    instructions (out of curiosity), I got as far as the disk
    management bit but then I dont know what to click to
    format the drive. There is no button saying "format" that
    I could see. Can you please teach me this just in case I
    need it in the future. Thanks a million

    Glad you got the problem fixed.

    To your second request, right click My Computer, select
    Manage. Find Disk Management under storage. Select the
    drive, click on Actions/All Tasks and you'll see format.

    Don't be afraid to browse around and look at the menus in
    Windows, that's how I learned.

    | Guess what?? I turned off my computer and turned it on
    | again to read your message. When I inserted the CF the
    | computer said "found new hardware" and installed it to D:
    | so I guess by reinstalling the driver and rebooting, the
    | problem was fixed.
    |
    | Just as well b'cause when I went to follow your
    | instructions (out of curiosity), I got as far as the disk
    | management bit but then I dont know what to click to
    | format the drive. There is no button saying "format" that
    | I could see. Can you please teach me this just in case I
    | need it in the future. Thanks a million

    | >|
    | >|
    | >|