A7N8X-E Deluxe: Can't install OS and boot from RAID while ..

I recently built a computer based on the A7N8X-E Deluxe MB after my old
motherboard died. I first used my old computer's hard drive and got it to
work using the XP Pro install disk to do a repair.

I got the fever and bought a couple of Seagate SATA drives to make a RAID-0
disk. I tried a clean OS install on the RAID. I did the F6 -> floppy with
SATA driver routine (got forbid having a legacy free PC with no floppy
drive) but after the XP Pro installer copied files and rebooted to
configure, it couldn't find the RAID ("nonsystem disk or disk error").

I tried tech support, but they had no answer. They gave me new drivers which
didn't help. The issue I finally stumbled upon was a couple of attached USB
drives. They are seen by the installer (without special drivers) and for
some reason, that results in apparent misconfiguration of the MBR on the
RAID. Unfortunately, the guy in tech support was completely uninterested. I
am writing this just to get the word out.

I suspect the problem relates to the BIOS. I don't think it clearly lays out
the sequence of drives. It certainly isn't clear when you go into BIOS to
select the boot drive and there's no entry for the SATA drive(s).

"Scopacetic" <david_wilson@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I recently built a computer based on the A7N8X-E Deluxe MB after my old
> motherboard died. I first used my old computer's hard drive and got it to
> work using the XP Pro install disk to do a repair.
>
> I got the fever and bought a couple of Seagate SATA drives to make a
RAID-0
> disk. I tried a clean OS install on the RAID. I did the F6 -> floppy with
> SATA driver routine (got forbid having a legacy free PC with no floppy
> drive) but after the XP Pro installer copied files and rebooted to
> configure, it couldn't find the RAID ("nonsystem disk or disk error").
>
> I tried tech support, but they had no answer. They gave me new drivers
which
> didn't help. The issue I finally stumbled upon was a couple of attached
USB
> drives. They are seen by the installer (without special drivers) and for
> some reason, that results in apparent misconfiguration of the MBR on the
> RAID. Unfortunately, the guy in tech support was completely uninterested.
> am writing this just to get the word out.
>
> I suspect the problem relates to the BIOS. I don't think it clearly lays
out
> the sequence of drives. It certainly isn't clear when you go into BIOS to
> select the boot drive and there's no entry for the SATA drive(s).

You should set the BIOS to boot from SCSI and set the "Boot Other
Device" to disable.

After the IDE check during POST you should see your SATA drives
listed and have the option to enter the RAID configuration utility. (I
assume you already did this once to setup the array in the first place.)
The status of your drives and the array should be displayed.

Luck;
Ken

P.S.; As has been stated you need to check your BIOS version
as some have had problems with RAID.

Il Wed, 02 Jun 2004 22:29:28 -0400, Scopacetic ha scritto:

> I suspect the problem relates to the BIOS. I don't think it clearly lays out
> the sequence of drives. It certainly isn't clear when you go into BIOS to
> select the boot drive and there's no entry for the SATA drive(s).

Your bios version?

TRENDING THREADS