Blue Screen: STOP 0xB8 - Scanner issue

May 13, 2004 6:31:12 PM

This is an update to the problems I noted with my system. I now have
identitifed the problem (listed below the indented text from my first
post) - I still don't know how to make heads or tails out of the minidump
files and I have no idea why this is happening. Following is the original
email where I asked for help:

"I continue to receive Stop Error codes and a system restart.

***STOP: 0x000000B8(0X00000000,0X00000000,0X00000000,0X00000000)
A wait operation, attach process, or yield was attempted from DPC
routine.
ATTEMPTED_SWITCH_FROM_DPC

I have run a ramchecker overnight but that does not seem to be the
issue.
An invididual mentioned that it might be a short in my CD Rom drive.
The
following is the bugcheck info from three dump files separated by dashed
lines. Two happened today and the other was from a couple of weeks ago.

This dump occurs usually while the system is idle and every few hours or
sometimes only once per day. It has become more frequent but it has
been
occuring since January. Sometimes apps are open and other times only
the
system processes are running. Does this dump file give any meaningful
clues? I have no idea how to read it. I'm about ready to throw the
darn
computer out. Any help please."

The solutions offered and available on the internet were one of two and
neither applied to my situation:
1. Windows 2000 security patch update that solved the problem
2. Parallel Zip drive (which I do not have) & a incorrect file version of
ppa3.sys.

I have scoured the internet over the past 5 months and have found nothing
related to my problem.

Finally after doing very tedious troubleshooting, removing everything and
then putting back the cards and drives one at a time, I found that the
BSOD's did not reoccur when my Epson Perfection 3170 Scanner was not turned
on (but still connected via USB). I don't understand that but I am at least
happy to know the computer is not going to reboot without warning.

Does anybody know why this scanner was causing the problems and I have no
idea what to do to rectify the problem other than to leave the scanner off.
I certainly want to have use of my scanner. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Following are my components:
ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro (4.4 Catalyst drivers)
1 gig of 266 ddr ram
Windows XP Sp1
Pioneer DVD reader
Sony DVD writer
1 Gig Jaz Drive
2 hard drives on PCI card (one being the boot drive)
2 hard drives on main board
Epson 925 printer
Epson Perfection 3170 scanner
Creative Audigy2 ZS (latest drivers)

Thanks,
Chuck Coty
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 6:31:13 PM

Hi, I also had a problem I could not solve on my own.
My cd writer was not recognized by XP home edition.
I posted my problem on Windows XP Hardware newsgroup, got one reply, but I didn't know
how to implement the reply. In desperation I poked around my computer
until I stumbled on Help and Support Centre. I asked for support and in less then 24 hours
they e-mailed a detailed step-by-step procedure, which solved my problem.
Since my knowledge of computers is marginal, at best, it was important for me that the
procedure was very detailed and did not assume that I know anything about computers.

If you would like to get support to solve your problem, left click on:
Start>Control Panel>Help and Support (on left panel)>>Get support (on right panel)>Get help from (on left panel)>>Ask support professional for help (on right panel), then answer a series of questions.

Just in case you want to use the procedure that solved my problem,
I'm including it here as a combination of two procedures, one from Help Centre
and one I found posted by Anonymous on Windows XP Hardware newsgroup.
I made it a bit more user friendly but lengthy. Hope you don't mind. All the best, Adam

What to do if CD Writer is not recognized by Windows XP home edition?

I suggest that you print the following procedure and work from paper copy.

In case you don't know how to copy and print text,
point cursor at top left of the text to print (When you loaded XP, etc),
press and hold mouse's left button, drag the cursor to the right of the screen
and then to the bottom right of the text,
release left button, right click anywhere on the text, point cursor at word Copy
and left click on it once.
Open Notepad by left clicking on Start>All Programs>Accessories>Notepad.
Point cursor at top left of the blank page and right click. Left click on word Paste.
Text should appear on the Notepad's blank page.
To print left click on File (top left)>Print>Print button.
This text fits on one page, but only if you print starting with the next sentence.

When you loaded XP, was cd burning software like Easy CD Creator loaded on the computer?
Was your CD writer listed in the BIOS? (BIOS is in white writing on black background
right after computer starts up and before Windows XP loads up)
Is it absent from the Device Manager?
To check left click on: Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>
Device Manager>Plus sign to the left of DVD/CD-ROM DRIVES.
Minimize the Computer Management window, you will need it later.
You are unable to load a new driver?
Reloading cd burning software doesn't make any difference?
Yes to all of the above means the culprits are the Upper/Lower Filters.

1. Uninstall any cd burning software from the system.
Then reboot by left clicking on: START>TURN OFF COMPUTER>RESTART

2. Left click START>RUN, Type regedit , left click OK, to open the Registry Editor.
To expand each line, left click on + (plus sign) to the left of each of the following:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>CURRENTCONTROLSET>CONTROL>CLASS.
Find and highlight (left click) on the line: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. To save this file to the Desktop, in case this procedure does not work:
Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, then left click on EXPORT.
Left click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} in Export Registry File
to highlight it, this will place this line in File Name box, left click on Save. Close Export Registry File.

4. With the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}key still
blue on the left hand panel of Registry Editor,
look on the right hand panel under Name for an entry for Upper Filters. Delete Upper Filters.
To delete, right click on Upper Filters, left click on Delete.
If there is an entry for Lower Filters, delete them as well.
Right click on Lower Filters, left click on Delete. Close the Registry Editor.

5. To restart the machine left click on: START>TURN OFF COMPUTER>RESTART.
To see if your cd writer is in Device Manager left click on the minimized
Comuter Management icon in bottom bar or left click on:
Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>>Device Manager>Plus sign to the left of DVD/CD-ROM DRIVES.
Right click on your CD Writer and left click on Uninstall.
Left click OK on Confirm Device Removal dialog box. This removes your CD Writer from
the computer, so software can do the procedure of locating newly installed devices.
Now right click on your computer's name at the top of the tree on right hand panel
of Computer Management window, to the right of an icon of a computer,
left click on: Scan For Hardware Changes. This reinstalls your cd writer on your computer.

6. Reinstall cd burning software, reboot and check that your cd writer works OK.

..
!