A7V8X-X - Flash failed, killed my BIOS... :(

Tried updating my A7V8X-X BIOS to 1010 the other day. Flash failed
when it was trying to verify the new BIOS, and now all I get is a
rapid "clicking" noise through the speaker when I turn the system on.
No POST. :(

Wondering if anyone has an idea of how I might be able to recover this
thing. I'm assuming that since I'm getting the noise through the
speaker, that the BIOS isn't totally hosed. I just want to find out
what I can try to get the thing going again, or if I should just screw
it and get a new BIOS from badflash.com.

I tried contacting ASUS, but apparently they take forever to answer
inquiries. :(

Thanks.
8 answers Last reply
More about a7v8x flash failed killed bios

    Go to www.badflash.com They should be able to help.

    jhilton32@charter.net (JH) wrote in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:

    > Wondering if anyone has an idea of how I might be able to recover this
    > thing. I'm assuming that since I'm getting the noise through the
    > speaker, that the BIOS isn't totally hosed. I just want to find out
    > what I can try to get the thing going again, or if I should just screw
    > it and get a new BIOS from badflash.com.

    http://www.badflash.com/ it is, and next time only flash your BIOS if
    the need is there. It seldom is.

    --
    CeeBee

    EMH Mark I: "Stop breathing down my neck."
    EMH Mark II: "My breath is merely a simulation."
    EMH Mark I: "So is my neck. Stop it anyway."

    badflash.com rules. but if you want to try hotflashing yourself, I suggust
    you google that term. Ive done it, its very easy and quick - providing you
    have another similar-chipset mobo handy. If not, you can also make yourself
    a bootdisk with its own autoexec.bat which auto-runs the default or upgraded
    bios file on the same disk, then remove the offending machines videocard and
    boot. Sensing no card, the machine should check the floppy and de-lobotomise
    itself with some luck ;)

    "JH" <jhilton32@charter.net> wrote in message
    > Tried updating my A7V8X-X BIOS to 1010 the other day. Flash failed
    > when it was trying to verify the new BIOS, and now all I get is a
    > rapid "clicking" noise through the speaker when I turn the system on.
    > No POST. :(
    >
    > Wondering if anyone has an idea of how I might be able to recover this
    > thing. I'm assuming that since I'm getting the noise through the
    > speaker, that the BIOS isn't totally hosed. I just want to find out
    > what I can try to get the thing going again, or if I should just screw
    > it and get a new BIOS from badflash.com.
    >
    > I tried contacting ASUS, but apparently they take forever to answer
    > inquiries. :(
    >
    > Thanks.

    Blaedmon mumbled his insignificant opinion in:
    c9o15n$s4a$1@otis.netspace.net.au

    .. If not, you
    > can also make yourself a bootdisk with its own autoexec.bat which
    > auto-runs the default or upgraded bios file on the same disk, then
    > remove the offending machines videocard and boot. Sensing no card,
    > the machine should check the floppy and de-lobotomise itself with
    > some luck ;)

    Im not familiar with that practise, can you elaborate that a bit?

    Just checked with the (tiny) manual for my x-x board, and that method isnt
    described in there. Is it just the x-x series that tries to boot with no vga
    card, despite the faulty bios ?

    Seems a little strange to me the board will suddenly boot this way?

    I've done hotflashes on bioses before, but the only other board I have
    available is an Abit with a KT-333 chipset and not a KT-400. Think the
    KT-333 BIOS would work to get the board to POST and let me hotflash
    the BIOS?

    In article <40bf91cb$0$177$edfadb0f@dtext01.news.tele.dk>, "Sune
    Storgaard" <speg-fjern@mail.dk> wrote:

    > Blaedmon mumbled his insignificant opinion in:
    > c9o15n$s4a$1@otis.netspace.net.au
    >
    > . If not, you
    > > can also make yourself a bootdisk with its own autoexec.bat which
    > > auto-runs the default or upgraded bios file on the same disk, then
    > > remove the offending machines videocard and boot. Sensing no card,
    > > the machine should check the floppy and de-lobotomise itself with
    > > some luck ;)
    >
    > Im not familiar with that practise, can you elaborate that a bit?
    >
    > Just checked with the (tiny) manual for my x-x board, and that method isnt
    > described in there. Is it just the x-x series that tries to boot with no vga
    > card, despite the faulty bios ?
    >
    > Seems a little strange to me the board will suddenly boot this way?

    The BIOS has two sections. One part is the "boot block", which has
    just enough code to boot from a floppy. If the boot block is still
    intact, then the autoexec trick will work. There would be some hope
    if, without the video card, the motherboard tried to access the floppy.
    Based on the OPs description of a repetitive sound coming out of the
    speakers, I'd say it is badflash or hotflash time.

    Paul

    Il Fri, 04 Jun 2004 08:00:09 -0700, JH ha scritto:

    > I've done hotflashes on bioses before, but the only other board I have
    > available is an Abit with a KT-333 chipset and not a KT-400. Think the
    > KT-333 BIOS would work to get the board to POST and let me hotflash
    > the BIOS?

    U need to hotflash your asus board bios ON THE ABIT one. Not the opposite.

    Oops, you're right, dummy me. Thanks.

    _P_e_ar_lALegend <end_6@leg.it> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.06.04.20.07.50.613460@leg.it>...

    > U need to hotflash your asus board bios ON THE ABIT one. Not the opposite.

Asus BIOS Speakers Flash Motherboards