Lacie Optical DVD-RW Drive

I have Windows Xp and recently purchased a lacie d2 drive.
However, windows xp does not receognize it as a dvd-rw but
rather a cd-rw. Is there a fix for this?
3 answers Last reply
More about lacie optical drive

    Hi, I also had a problem I could not solve on my own.
    My cd writer was not recognized by XP home edition.
    I posted my problem on Windows XP Hardware newsgroup, got one reply, but I didn't know
    how to implement the reply. In desperation I poked around my computer
    until I stumbled on Help and Support Centre. I asked for support and in less then 24 hours
    they e-mailed a detailed step-by-step procedure, which solved my problem.
    Since my knowledge of computers is marginal, at best, it was important for me that the
    procedure was very detailed and did not assume that I know anything about computers.

    If you would like to get support to solve your problem, left click on:
    Start>Control Panel>Help and Support (on left panel)>>Get support (on right panel)>Get help from (on left panel)>>Ask support professional for help (on right panel), then answer a series of questions.

    Just in case you want to use the procedure that solved my problem,
    I'm including it here as a combination of two procedures, one from Help Centre
    and one I found posted by Anonymous on Windows XP Hardware newsgroup.
    I made it a bit more user friendly but lengthy. Hope you don't mind. All the best, Adam

    What to do if CD Writer is not recognized by Windows XP home edition?

    I suggest that you print the following procedure and work from paper copy.

    In case you don't know how to copy and print text,
    point cursor at top left of the text to print (When you loaded XP, etc),
    press and hold mouse's left button, drag the cursor to the right of the screen
    and then to the bottom right of the text,
    release left button, right click anywhere on the text, point cursor at word Copy
    and left click on it once.
    Open Notepad by left clicking on Start>All Programs>Accessories>Notepad.
    Point cursor at top left of the blank page and right click. Left click on word Paste.
    Text should appear on the Notepad's blank page.
    To print left click on File (top left)>Print>Print button.
    This text fits on one page, but only if you print starting with the next sentence.

    When you loaded XP, was cd burning software like Easy CD Creator loaded on the computer?
    Was your CD writer listed in the BIOS? (BIOS is in white writing on black background
    right after computer starts up and before Windows XP loads up)
    Is it absent from the Device Manager?
    To check left click on: Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>
    Device Manager>Plus sign to the left of DVD/CD-ROM DRIVES.
    Minimize the Computer Management window, you will need it later.
    You are unable to load a new driver?
    Reloading cd burning software doesn't make any difference?
    Yes to all of the above means the culprits are the Upper/Lower Filters.

    1. Uninstall any cd burning software from the system.
    Then reboot by left clicking on: START>TURN OFF COMPUTER>RESTART

    2. Left click START>RUN, Type regedit , left click OK, to open the Registry Editor.
    To expand each line, left click on + (plus sign) to the left of each of the following:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>CURRENTCONTROLSET>CONTROL>CLASS.
    Find and highlight (left click) on the line: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

    3. To save this file to the Desktop, in case this procedure does not work:
    Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, then left click on EXPORT.
    Left click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} in Export Registry File
    to highlight it, this will place this line in File Name box, left click on Save. Close Export Registry File.

    4. With the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}key still
    blue on the left hand panel of Registry Editor,
    look on the right hand panel under Name for an entry for Upper Filters. Delete Upper Filters.
    To delete, right click on Upper Filters, left click on Delete.
    If there is an entry for Lower Filters, delete them as well.
    Right click on Lower Filters, left click on Delete. Close the Registry Editor.

    5. To restart the machine left click on: START>TURN OFF COMPUTER>RESTART.
    To see if your cd writer is in Device Manager left click on the minimized
    Comuter Management icon in bottom bar or left click on:
    Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>>Device Manager>Plus sign to the left of DVD/CD-ROM DRIVES.
    Right click on your CD Writer and left click on Uninstall.
    Left click OK on Confirm Device Removal dialog box. This removes your CD Writer from
    the computer, so software can do the procedure of locating newly installed devices.
    Now right click on your computer's name at the top of the tree on right hand panel
    of Computer Management window, to the right of an icon of a computer,
    left click on: Scan For Hardware Changes. This reinstalls your cd writer on your computer.

    6. Reinstall cd burning software, reboot and check that your cd writer works OK.

    ..

    "Peter Bui" <phxbui@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I have Windows Xp and recently purchased a lacie
    d2 drive.
    > However, windows xp does not receognize it as a
    dvd-rw but
    > rather a cd-rw. Is there a fix for this?

    XP doesn't natively support DVD writers. You have
    to use a third party
    program such as Nero or Roxio easy CD creator.

    Jim M

    "Peter Bui" <phxbui@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I have Windows Xp and recently purchased a lacie
    d2 drive.
    > However, windows xp does not receognize it as a
    dvd-rw but
    > rather a cd-rw. Is there a fix for this?

    Forget my other post, I see you already have both
    Nero and Easy CD.
    Have you tried looking for updates on the Nero or
    Easy CD web pages?

DVD RW Windows XP Lacie