P5A-B: maximum HDD size ?

Hi again !
Something completely different: I am just assembling a "new" machine for my
neighbour (he had an Intel P1 90 MHz up to now :)
As he didn´t want to spend much money I got the latest board fitting his old
BAT-case: the Asus P5A-B with a K62-350 and 128 MB RAM.
As his old HDD has a cutting edge size of 200 MB (*MB*, not GB ! :) I would
like to "implant" my old Maxtor U54098U8 with 40 GB
Will it be recognized or do I need a Promise Ultra 100 or something similar
???

Thanx a billion in advance for your precious advice !

Cya -

Joachim

You'll have to use the Promise PCI card. The BIOS will NOT recognize that
size of harddrive.

--
DaveW

Joachim Klein wrote:
> Hi again !
> Something completely different: I am just assembling a "new" machine for my
> neighbour (he had an Intel P1 90 MHz up to now :)
> As he didn´t want to spend much money I got the latest board fitting his old
> BAT-case: the Asus P5A-B with a K62-350 and 128 MB RAM.
> As his old HDD has a cutting edge size of 200 MB (*MB*, not GB ! :) I would
> like to "implant" my old Maxtor U54098U8 with 40 GB
> Will it be recognized or do I need a Promise Ultra 100 or something similar
> ???

Board should recognize harddisks up to 128GB correctly with newest beta
bios (of course, with a promise ultra 100 it would be somewhat faster,
but if you're going to upgrade from a 200MB it will probably be a lot
faster than what you currently have anyway ;-)). With older bios only 32GB.

ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Socket_7/ALI_Chipset/ALI_V/P5A-B/

Roland

Thanx, that´s exactly what I wantef to know. So I´ll flash BIOS *before*
trying to install an OS !
Thanx again ! ;.)

Cya -

Joachim

"Roland Scheidegger" <rscheidegger@gmx.ch> wrote in message
> Joachim Klein wrote:
> > Hi again !
> > Something completely different: I am just assembling a "new" machine
for my
> > neighbour (he had an Intel P1 90 MHz up to now :)
> > As he didn´t want to spend much money I got the latest board fitting his
old
> > BAT-case: the Asus P5A-B with a K62-350 and 128 MB RAM.
> > As his old HDD has a cutting edge size of 200 MB (*MB*, not GB ! :) I
would
> > like to "implant" my old Maxtor U54098U8 with 40 GB
> > Will it be recognized or do I need a Promise Ultra 100 or something
similar
> > ???
>
> Board should recognize harddisks up to 128GB correctly with newest beta
> bios (of course, with a promise ultra 100 it would be somewhat faster,
> but if you're going to upgrade from a 200MB it will probably be a lot
> faster than what you currently have anyway ;-)). With older bios only
32GB.

> ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Socket_7/ALI_Chipset/ALI_V/P5A-B/
>
> Roland

Roland is definitely right - with the latest beta bios my 40 GB Maxtor runs
flawlessly with the onboard IDE...

Cya -

Joachim
> You'll have to use the Promise PCI card. The BIOS will NOT recognize that
> size of harddrive.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "Joachim Klein" <jvklein@t-online.de> wrote in message
> > Hi again !
> > Something completely different: I am just assembling a "new" machine
for
> my
> > neighbour (he had an Intel P1 90 MHz up to now :)
> > As he didn´t want to spend much money I got the latest board fitting his
> old
> > BAT-case: the Asus P5A-B with a K62-350 and 128 MB RAM.
> > As his old HDD has a cutting edge size of 200 MB (*MB*, not GB ! :) I
> would
> > like to "implant" my old Maxtor U54098U8 with 40 GB
> > Will it be recognized or do I need a Promise Ultra 100 or something
> similar
> > ???
> >
> > Thanx a billion in advance for your precious advice !
> >
> > Cya -
> >
> > Joachim

You might note the comments re P5A running poorly with AMD CPU's on
Jan Steunebrink's BIOS site

http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

By the way, I have been using his BIOS for my AMD 450 TX97's &
P/I55T2P4's & 40/60GB HD's for years. Though I needed drive overlays
for W98.

- Art

"Joachim Klein" <jvklein@t-online.de> astounded us with:

> Hi again !
> Something completely different: I am just assembling a "new" machine
> for my neighbour (he had an Intel P1 90 MHz up to now :)
> As he didn´t want to spend much money I got the latest board fitting his
> old BAT-case: the Asus P5A-B with a K62-350 and 128 MB RAM.
> As his old HDD has a cutting edge size of 200 MB (*MB*, not GB ! :) I
> would like to "implant" my old Maxtor U54098U8 with 40 GB
> Will it be recognized or do I need a Promise Ultra 100 or something
> similar ???
>
> Thanx a billion in advance for your precious advice !
>
> Cya -
>
> Joachim

My wife's "The Sims" machine is a P5A-B with a 40 gig "Western Digital"
128 Mb of PC100 RAM
AMD K6-2-500
SB live!
Nvidia GeForce2 MX-200
BIOS is 1011 beta 005
Windows Millennium
HD partitioned to 8 gig and 31 odd gig to keep the cluster size down.
Runs sweet...

--
Gene P