Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GPRS remains active after sync

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
June 10, 2004 1:44:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hi

I am using Activesync on an XDAII to connect to my exchange 2003 box using
o2's (UK provider) GPRS service. Everything works fine, except when it
connects automatically as per its mobile schedule, it connects as it
should but once it finishes synchronizing with the server, GPRS remains
active and I have to manually disconnect it.

Therefore if I was to use up to date notifications and receive an email in
the middle of the night my device will connect, synchronize and then
remain active all night whilst I am asleep. This really goes against the
whole point of setting up a schedule as GPRS will remain on all the time!
Surely this has been previously addressed as it’s a key element in
Activesync.

Does anyone know if this is a known problem or if there's a fix for it, my
isp is scratchingh ther head!

Thanks and best wishes
Dave
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 5:10:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

This is by design. The is GPRS "suspend" feature since PocketPC 2003.
However, it's not taking battery life to stay connected, the radio isn't
transmitting data therefore it would not cause extra cost nor security
problem. It's really just a feature to make subsequent data calls faster.

So there's nothing wrong with what you see (the same thing will happen if
you browses with pIE)

--
Liang Chen
Software Development Engineer
Mobile Devices Product Group
-This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"Dave" <thempeskykids@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o gLllowTEHA.3924@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>
> Hi
>
> I am using Activesync on an XDAII to connect to my exchange 2003 box using
> o2's (UK provider) GPRS service. Everything works fine, except when it
> connects automatically as per its mobile schedule, it connects as it
> should but once it finishes synchronizing with the server, GPRS remains
> active and I have to manually disconnect it.
>
> Therefore if I was to use up to date notifications and receive an email in
> the middle of the night my device will connect, synchronize and then
> remain active all night whilst I am asleep. This really goes against the
> whole point of setting up a schedule as GPRS will remain on all the time!
> Surely this has been previously addressed as it’s a key element in
> Activesync.
>
> Does anyone know if this is a known problem or if there's a fix for it, my
> isp is scratchingh ther head!
>
> Thanks and best wishes
> Dave
>
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 11:32:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

This probably won't but give it a try:
In the PDA's ActiveSync -> Tools -> Options -> PC tab -> press the
[Options...] button -> check Disconnect when done.

--

..: Jakub Kanczugowski
..: www.PDAclub.pl
Related resources
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 4:54:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

GPRS is designed to stay connected... it's a feature... :-)

The schedule is not to activate GPRS... but to connect to the server.

It just so happens that you disconnect the connection everytime which means
the GPRS connection has to be reconnected everytime an update has to be
made.

--
Carlo Ma. Guerrero
Microsoft MVP, Mobile Devices


"Dave" <thempeskykids@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o gLllowTEHA.3924@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

Hi

I am using Activesync on an XDAII to connect to my exchange 2003 box using
o2's (UK provider) GPRS service. Everything works fine, except when it
connects automatically as per its mobile schedule, it connects as it
should but once it finishes synchronizing with the server, GPRS remains
active and I have to manually disconnect it.

Therefore if I was to use up to date notifications and receive an email in
the middle of the night my device will connect, synchronize and then
remain active all night whilst I am asleep. This really goes against the
whole point of setting up a schedule as GPRS will remain on all the time!
Surely this has been previously addressed as it’s a key element in
Activesync.

Does anyone know if this is a known problem or if there's a fix for it, my
isp is scratchingh ther head!

Thanks and best wishes
Dave
June 11, 2004 4:54:16 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hi

Thanks very much for your reply!

I was hoping you were'nt gonna say that because thats pants!

You don't want to stay connected all the time surely??? What about the cost,
and vunerability as well?

Isn't there a setting which can be made to disconnect the connection after
sync, you have these kinda features in Outlook for example!

Am I missing something here?

Thanks and best wishes!


"Carlo Ma. Guerrero [MVP]" <ppcsurfr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:enpBSuwTEHA.3404@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> GPRS is designed to stay connected... it's a feature... :-)
>
> The schedule is not to activate GPRS... but to connect to the server.
>
> It just so happens that you disconnect the connection everytime which
means
> the GPRS connection has to be reconnected everytime an update has to be
> made.
>
> --
> Carlo Ma. Guerrero
> Microsoft MVP, Mobile Devices
>
>
> "Dave" <thempeskykids@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o gLllowTEHA.3924@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>
> Hi
>
> I am using Activesync on an XDAII to connect to my exchange 2003 box using
> o2's (UK provider) GPRS service. Everything works fine, except when it
> connects automatically as per its mobile schedule, it connects as it
> should but once it finishes synchronizing with the server, GPRS remains
> active and I have to manually disconnect it.
>
> Therefore if I was to use up to date notifications and receive an email in
> the middle of the night my device will connect, synchronize and then
> remain active all night whilst I am asleep. This really goes against the
> whole point of setting up a schedule as GPRS will remain on all the time!
> Surely this has been previously addressed as it’s a key element in
> Activesync.
>
> Does anyone know if this is a known problem or if there's a fix for it, my
> isp is scratchingh ther head!
>
> Thanks and best wishes
> Dave
>
>
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 5:54:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

It will disconnect your ActiveSync... but whatever connection you have will
remain connected... unless it is over-ridden by another connection


--
Carlo Ma. Guerrero
Microsoft MVP, Mobile Devices


"Jakub Kanczugowski" <duncan@no-spam-ever.ceti.pl> wrote in message
news:%23EognDxTEHA.3140@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
This probably won't but give it a try:
In the PDA's ActiveSync -> Tools -> Options -> PC tab -> press the
[Options...] button -> check Disconnect when done.

--

..: Jakub Kanczugowski
..: www.PDAclub.pl
June 11, 2004 5:54:49 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Thanks again for your replies!

So is what your saying, that in order to utilize the mobile schedule and
also "always up to date notification" Microsoft accept that a user may well
be connected for long periods of time when using a remote connection.

If this is the case, do you think this has actually been thought through
properly?

Many thanks
Dave



"Carlo Ma. Guerrero [MVP]" <ppcsurfr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:euQYHQxTEHA.3844@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> It will disconnect your ActiveSync... but whatever connection you have
will
> remain connected... unless it is over-ridden by another connection
>
>
> --
> Carlo Ma. Guerrero
> Microsoft MVP, Mobile Devices
>
>
> "Jakub Kanczugowski" <duncan@no-spam-ever.ceti.pl> wrote in message
> news:%23EognDxTEHA.3140@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> This probably won't but give it a try:
> In the PDA's ActiveSync -> Tools -> Options -> PC tab -> press the
> [Options...] button -> check Disconnect when done.
>
> --
>
> .: Jakub Kanczugowski
> .: www.PDAclub.pl
>
>
>
June 11, 2004 4:12:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hey Liang

Thats's great thanks very much for taking to the time to reply! All is now
clear! Ah thats quite cool then!
Be lucky!
Best wishes
Dave

"Liang Chen [MSFT]" <liangc@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:o 6ozJcyTEHA.1284@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> This is by design. The is GPRS "suspend" feature since PocketPC 2003.
> However, it's not taking battery life to stay connected, the radio isn't
> transmitting data therefore it would not cause extra cost nor security
> problem. It's really just a feature to make subsequent data calls faster.
>
> So there's nothing wrong with what you see (the same thing will happen if
> you browses with pIE)
>
> --
> Liang Chen
> Software Development Engineer
> Mobile Devices Product Group
> -This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
>
> "Dave" <thempeskykids@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o gLllowTEHA.3924@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I am using Activesync on an XDAII to connect to my exchange 2003 box
using
> > o2's (UK provider) GPRS service. Everything works fine, except when it
> > connects automatically as per its mobile schedule, it connects as it
> > should but once it finishes synchronizing with the server, GPRS remains
> > active and I have to manually disconnect it.
> >
> > Therefore if I was to use up to date notifications and receive an email
in
> > the middle of the night my device will connect, synchronize and then
> > remain active all night whilst I am asleep. This really goes against the
> > whole point of setting up a schedule as GPRS will remain on all the
time!
> > Surely this has been previously addressed as it’s a key element in
> > Activesync.
> >
> > Does anyone know if this is a known problem or if there's a fix for it,
my
> > isp is scratchingh ther head!
> >
> > Thanks and best wishes
> > Dave
> >
>
>
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 11:42:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On 10/6/04 8:12 pm, in article #4FKe7xTEHA.204@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl, "Dave"
<thempeskykids@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks again for your replies!
>
> So is what your saying, that in order to utilize the mobile schedule and
> also "always up to date notification" Microsoft accept that a user may well
> be connected for long periods of time when using a remote connection.
>
> If this is the case, do you think this has actually been thought through
> properly?
>
> Many thanks
> Dave

It has, and its not an issue for Microsoft. You don't seem to understand
what GPRS actually is .... A Global PACKET RADIO System. I emphasise those
words as its a technology specifically designed to be a connectionless
oriented communications technology. It was never designed to be like
dialling an ISP on a modem, where you occupy a 64kbit/s channel even if you
are using 1kbit/s. That¹s wasteful and while there may not be an issue on
the POTS network, it is a major issue on the mobile networks where there is
relatively little capacity. GPRS was the solution - steal bits of data slots
when the full capacity is not being used.

If you want connection oriented mobile data, then its HSCSD from Orange
(which is High Speed Circuit Switched Data) using four x 9.6kbit/s voice
call channels to give you the higher capacity, at a price premium.

That¹s why neither is very popular - the basic channel size is too small and
there are not enough of them.

The basic technology to implement either is expensive and few use it, so its
expensive to use. Consequently, the Operators have to gouge you to get the
money back. The onus is on you to disconnect.

As to the Microsoft position - its clear - they expect a connection to be
there and continuously present - almost like broadband.
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 7:15:30 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

GPRS >>> General Packet Radio Service

--
Carlo Ma. Guerrero
Microsoft MVP, Mobile Devices


"Graham in Melton" <nota@nospamplease.net> wrote in message
news:BCEFBBB4.28CD6%nota@nospamplease.net...
On 10/6/04 8:12 pm, in article #4FKe7xTEHA.204@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl, "Dave"
<thempeskykids@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks again for your replies!
>
> So is what your saying, that in order to utilize the mobile schedule and
> also "always up to date notification" Microsoft accept that a user may
well
> be connected for long periods of time when using a remote connection.
>
> If this is the case, do you think this has actually been thought through
> properly?
>
> Many thanks
> Dave

It has, and its not an issue for Microsoft. You don't seem to understand
what GPRS actually is .... A Global PACKET RADIO System. I emphasise those
words as its a technology specifically designed to be a connectionless
oriented communications technology. It was never designed to be like
dialling an ISP on a modem, where you occupy a 64kbit/s channel even if you
are using 1kbit/s. That¹s wasteful and while there may not be an issue on
the POTS network, it is a major issue on the mobile networks where there is
relatively little capacity. GPRS was the solution - steal bits of data slots
when the full capacity is not being used.

If you want connection oriented mobile data, then its HSCSD from Orange
(which is High Speed Circuit Switched Data) using four x 9.6kbit/s voice
call channels to give you the higher capacity, at a price premium.

That¹s why neither is very popular - the basic channel size is too small and
there are not enough of them.

The basic technology to implement either is expensive and few use it, so its
expensive to use. Consequently, the Operators have to gouge you to get the
money back. The onus is on you to disconnect.

As to the Microsoft position - its clear - they expect a connection to be
there and continuously present - almost like broadband.
June 4, 2009 5:16:48 AM

Carlo,

Thanks for the detailed information.

I feel that there is a small problem in this statement, you may be aware that there is a mail synchronisation package called Mail for Exchange. Previously I used this on my Nokia E95 before I changed to my (works) Windows Mobile phone.

With Mail for Exchange there are the same scheduling options but once the synch has finished the GPRS connection is torn down meaning that you are no longer using those costly data connections.

It seems that it is entirely possible for the application to manage the GPRS connection but Activesync has not been written to do so.

The point that is raised here is why schedule the synch if actually you are keeping the phone 'online' all the time?

I cannot agree that this is not something that the Activesync developers should consider, perhaps Symbian has better control over the GPRS connection but as it is demonstrably possible to do this, why has Microsoft chosen not to do so?

Manually synching is only marginally better than carrying a paper diary and given all of the disadvantages (flat batteries, unreadable screen in daylight and those annoying beeps and messages) it becomes a real question of what is more effective.

No offence intended but saying that it is not Microsoft's responsibility to manage the data connection is rather naive, perhaps GPRS is free in USA, if so then getting some developer feedback from countries where GPRS has a per minute connection charge might be enlightening.

Regards,

Max Wood
!