Matching DDR for dual.. P4P800-E delux or any for that mat..

I'm about to go with some Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512.
I see them listed in the ASUS DDR 400 QVL for that motherboard.
If I get two of them, will it be okay, or only matched KITS guarantee proper dual operations ?

example 2:
Suppose I go to the store and get ONE stick of Corsair VALUE (VS512MB400) (also listed),
then a month after I return to get a second same brand size and model.. Will it cause problems,
or I'm just getting paranoid.

I'm new to DDR, and I don't want to regret my purchase.

Fact is I've decided to get two 512MB sticks of Kingston above, but worry that they are not sold in kits.
Regards,
Mr newbie is getting a fabulous upgrade this year...At last.. 8)

"James Bald" <Rutherford@NOSPAM.ever> skrev i en meddelelse

> I'm about to go with some Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512.
> I see them listed in the ASUS DDR 400 QVL for that motherboard.
> If I get two of them, will it be okay, or only matched KITS guarantee
proper dual operations ?

Nope....they'll work fine.

> example 2:
> Suppose I go to the store and get ONE stick of Corsair VALUE (VS512MB400)
(also listed),
> then a month after I return to get a second same brand size and model..
Will it cause problems,
> or I'm just getting paranoid.

Yep, getting paranoid. ;o)

I'm running 2 x 512 MB modules - same brand AND 2 x 256 MB modules -
different brands(!). And that works very well.

Cheers!

A MILLION Thanks Henrik !

And for that matter, let me thank the great people in this forum and
especially Paul HTH... You saved me tons of head scratching about PSUs and so much more...

Paranoid DDR newbie is now history... Good shrinking Henrik !
:D
-------------
Henrik B. wrote in message <40c03815$0$184$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.dk>...

>"James Bald" <Rutherford@NOSPAM.ever> skrev i en meddelelse
>>
>> I'm about to go with some Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512.
>> I see them listed in the ASUS DDR 400 QVL for that motherboard.
>> If I get two of them, will it be okay, or only matched KITS guarantee
>proper dual operations ?
>
>Nope....they'll work fine.
>
>> example 2:
>> Suppose I go to the store and get ONE stick of Corsair VALUE (VS512MB400)
>(also listed),
>> then a month after I return to get a second same brand size and model..
>Will it cause problems,
>> or I'm just getting paranoid.
>
>Yep, getting paranoid. ;o)
>
>I'm running 2 x 512 MB modules - same brand AND 2 x 256 MB modules -
>different brands(!). And that works very well.
>
>Cheers!

Paul

Splendid

In article <40c03815$0$184$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.dk>, "Henrik B."
<saab@_NOSPAM_tdcadsl.dk> wrote:

> "James Bald" <Rutherford@NOSPAM.ever> skrev i en meddelelse
> >
> > I'm about to go with some Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512.
> > I see them listed in the ASUS DDR 400 QVL for that motherboard.
> > If I get two of them, will it be okay, or only matched KITS guarantee
> proper dual operations ?
>
> Nope....they'll work fine.
>
> > example 2:
> > Suppose I go to the store and get ONE stick of Corsair VALUE (VS512MB400)
> (also listed),
> > then a month after I return to get a second same brand size and model..
> Will it cause problems,
> > or I'm just getting paranoid.
>
> Yep, getting paranoid. ;o)
>
> I'm running 2 x 512 MB modules - same brand AND 2 x 256 MB modules -
> different brands(!). And that works very well.
>
> Cheers!

It does pay to do a little research into the company you are
dealing with. Kingston, for example, has a datasheet for each
product on their web site. The datasheet specifies that the module
has, say, (16) 32Mx8 chips on it. Any product that ships should
have the architecture specified in the datasheet, and that is
good enough matching for dual channel.

If I go to my corner store, and ask for a 256MB stick of ram,
one time I'll get generic DIMMs with x8 chips on it, and if I
instead. You should at least check Google, as some manufacturers
don't actually make the cheaper RAM that they sell, instead they
can buy modules from up to three different suppliers that meet
the requirements. As long as the company you are dealing with
promises not to ship modules with a different architecture, you
should be safe. So, if two modules have (16) 32Mx8 chips on them,
and one module has Hynix chips, and the other Samsung, they should
still work in dual channel mode. It is when one module has x8 chips
and another has x16, that the memory controller will revert to
single channel mode (that is, for the P4P800-E Deluxe motherboard
we are discussing here - on an A7N8X with Nforce2 chipset, it
wouldn't matter).

With 512MB modules, I would say the risk is low, as there is
really only one cost effective way to make them. (That could
change some day, if the 512Mbit chips ever enter volume
production. One manufacturer has threatened to make a 512MB
single sided module, but none have been seen. The necessary
chips are still too expensive for that.) Other capacities
have a few more options available.

HTH,
Paul

Paul wrote in message ...
In article <40c03815$0$184$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.dk>, "Henrik B."
<saab@_NOSPAM_tdcadsl.dk> wrote:
>(SNIP)
>
>It does pay to do a little research into the company you are
>dealing with.

One reason I'm a great admirer of yours is the generous and valuable tech infos
you provide.. I do more than my part of research because I know how wicked the
salesman around here can be.... One tries to sell me a P4P800 SE telling me it
was virtually the same as de -E deluxe, but Firewire added.. I soon noticed the
SE was limited to ATA100 (means different controler), also noticed it had
digital 6channel instead of my now 8 channel ready.. I made tons of research
for Linux compatibility too, and Windows98 for that matter since I'm still a Linux+
Win98 dual boot guy.

I went back to all 2003 great posts in this forum to read infos, and realized how
delicate it was to pick a good DDR... Stuff like CH5 chips Winbond are not available
anymore, so the later slower CAS3 RAM eventually made sense to me as a good pick.

I'm an older engineer, remembering the great stability of a Pentium on a BX440 chipset,
but it's past history.. Yet even back then, I could Burn a CDR, download stuff and record
music 44Khz stereo, while playing a DvD on a DXR4 **all at once**; While without problem.
Young computer salesman think only XP a P4 can do this right.
Later VIA chipset would give me pain, as it would glitch the recording AUDIO as soon
as I used a simple USB modem... I found workarounds but upgrading is never an
easy thing if you want to do it right.... The quality of people here reflect the quality of
the technology ASUS is providing, as long as we stick to the 'better models of course.'

I've been shopping like mad to upgrade my trusty old Celeron900Mhz ASUS CUVL somth'n..
This machine can still do everything... But is a pain for DvD editing and I'm going there.

For the PSU, I plan on having lots of devices, and read about people who would not
post using 420Watts ANTEC, while a 480Watts Thermaltake would do the job..
I did a full research but your single post earlier made it all clear to me. Thanks again.
I do read french.. Here is the link to this issue.
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/18608/?o=20

I was going to go with the Powercolor Radeon 9600Pro following many reviews and
awards, but then the 9800Pro made more sense to me for the little extra.
Current support for Win98 is a joy for me at this time as I'm still using nifty old tools.
All in all, this card is hot... OpenGL 2.0 support... DirectX9 also works fine under Win98.
Even Catalyst 4.1.
http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/S&V/atiradeon9800pro.shtml
http://www.opendrivers.com/company/120/ATI-Technology.html

I expected to follow some of the experts in the Overclocking area for the RAM, but
stuff like this is no longer available.
http://jackpote2.free.fr/Informatique/Hardware.fr/OC%20P4C/rekap_mem.htm 300KB table.
This is obsolete as I understand now for their RAM is now only matched by Crucial Black
2-2-2-5 expensive model.

My P4 2.8C is a D1 core stepping.. SL6WT... So I read if it was stable enough for a
little overclocking..
http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/details.asp?sSpec=SL6WT
http://forum.hardware.fr/hardwarefr/Hardware/sujet-617054-1.htm (French)
I found some with no problems with this stepping, so I cross my fingers hoping for
a rock solid 3Ghz.

I skipped de P4 with 1MB cache even though it's only a few bucks more It's not
that much better in tests, and it's extremely hot... With almost double transistors.
If you cam't read french, you still can check the bencharks.. But everything in this
article is excellent and even english speaking only people can figure what it's all about.
http://www.materiel.be/cpu/2004cpu/page1.php

So I do not only upgrade my puter.. I upgrade my understanding of recent tech with
the help of fine people like in this forum and more.. You are just a genius accoding to
my standards Paul. I must tell you that at least once in my lifetime... Bless you !

//////////////////////////////////
There is STILL one thing worrying me about my ASUS Mobo..
ASUS P4P800-E deluxe rev 1.2 .. Now I thought I was stuck with older hardware since
I'm not living in the states.. I'm used to see shops offering 1 y/o tech compared to the US.

On the other hand, the great reviews of this board also dates back to my revision number..
And I confirmed at least a few happy customers with a rev 1.2. Using PAP and all..

Yet.. I wonder what's the difference with a rev 2.0.
Can you enlighten me.. Still paranoid a bit. :)

I finally got two sticks of these... One ANTEC Purepower 480 and one of these Chinese
copy of ANTEC design casing at half the ANTEC price. (Best choice 6A series)
PO: 4A015... I strongly recommend it.

Looks like it pays to shop around and take the time to learn about the hardware before.
Soon I'll be posting a short review... Cross my fingers it'll work fine.

Thanks anyway Paul and all great forumers here.
Ben

"akh tI akh gAyi ka:h."
- One plus one make eleven. In unity there is strength.
- Two heads we better than one.
http://www.iils.org/pdf/DictionaryProverbs.pdf

Glen

The matched pairs are really only if you want to overclock. For dual chanel
just get same make\size for each channel pair.

Glen

Glen wrote in message <40c0ee24_1@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>...
>The matched pairs are really only if you want to overclock. For dual chanel
>just get same make\size for each channel pair.
>
>Glen

Cool.. It works here now..
FSB 800 and reported 1Gig by bios. Only I am fascinated by these facts since it's all so new.
BTW, right now the system won't post in Turbo mode.. Wondering.
But when I ENABLE the memory acceleration mode it's flawless. Hyperpath then is fine I guess.

One big hassle to come, eand I'll ask in a separate thread is about installing Legacy OSs,
I know I'm a fool to want to use multiboot Linux and Win98;
But even with the MAX CPU Value ID ENABLED and Hyperthreading disabled, SETUP
goes back to prompt, failing its test.. Could be a number of things..
First of which is my HD is not fully partitionned.. Or that I'm installing from a DvD reader,
or that I don't have a floppy installed.. (I have a custom made recovery bootable CDR
to boot first, then I insert my original Windows98 CD and SETUP bombs to prompt. ?

Weird... There must be a trick I haven't figured-out yet.
Any guess ?.

TIA,.. So far so good. :)

James Bald wrote in message ...
> (SNIP)
>One big hassle to come, eand I'll ask in a separate thread is about installing Legacy OSs,

My bad !.. I had a primary C drive just a tad too big. (2055MB)
Now a quick resize to under 2Gigs and my Windold 98 is happy.
Of course it's never gonna work Hyperthreading, but Linux does.

ASUS made another happy customer with such nifty legacy OSs support in BIOS.
Happy ending.
Every end is just a new beginning. :)