Windows XP Pro from IDE Drive to SATA Drive.

Hi,

Just a quick question - how would I move my Windows XP Pro installation from
an IDE Disk to a new SATA Drive?

--
Bad Head ;)
--

Imaging Software can do it. Acronis, Ghost and Power Quest Drive
Image.
"Bad Head" <jon@thepitz.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Just a quick question - how would I move my Windows XP Pro installation
from
> an IDE Disk to a new SATA Drive?
>
> --
> Bad Head ;)
> --
> System Specs:
> OS: Windows XP Pro SP1
> RAM: 1GB DDR400
> CPU: AMD 2500+
> Chipset: VIA (4-in-1 Driver: 4.51)
> Main Board: Gigabyte GA-7VT600 1394 (BIOS F4)
> Graphics: Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800Pro (Catalyst 4.10)

You should be asking two questions: (1) how to move, (2) how to make it work
after moving.

The answer to the first may be as simple as Acronis TrueImage, Norton GHOST,
or Powerquest DriveImage. However, be sure to have the latest version with
patches. Trueimage 6 can not do SATA. Trueimage 7, initial release could
do some, but not all, SATA. The latest patch (build 611) can do most SATA,
maybe even all. GHOST 2002 and 2003 can do SATA from a bootable floppy, at
least for some systems. GHOST 2003 claims to support initiating from
windows level, but that does not actually work on my SATA system, whereas
the GHOST floppy does work. Trueimage does USB and firewire very well.
GHOST 2003 does it for some configurations, but not all. I have not tried
DriveImage. I suugest that you contact PowerQuest support for info about
their product.

The answer to the second question may be "nothing", meaning that it will
work when you boot. But, it is far more likely that you will need to
perform a "repair" installation of XP. This is like a full install, but it
does NOT format the hard drive. Rather, it sort-of refreshes the XP files
and detects new hardware. Early in the repair look for a message about
hitting F6 and providing RAID or SCSI drivers. This also applies to SATA,
whether they are part of a RAID or not. The dirvers must be on a floppy. A
CDROM will not work. Check your SATA controller manual for details, or
motherboard manual if it is on the motherboard.

After the repair, you will need to re-download/install all windows updates
that came out after the XP CDROM. If you have an early CDROM, then that
will be a lot of updates, including many critical security updates. Do not
wait to do this, since there are ugly bugs out there that exploit holes in
XP, and even good virus prtction can not stop them. If you have a
high-speed internet connection, this will be tolerable, although expect
there to be a lot of re-booting. If you have a 56K modem, try to get a CD
copy of SP-1 and maybe also the roll-up of patches through to Fall, 2003.
These could save you a lot of time.

Finally, if the new disk is larger than about 127Gig, you must have SP-1
installed and also 48-bit LBA enabled to use all of it. In fact, you may
need these to access some of it. I do not know the precise rules, since I
chose to avoid the issue by sticking with 120 Gig disks.

Good luck.

"Bad Head" <jon@thepitz.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Just a quick question - how would I move my Windows XP Pro installation
from
> an IDE Disk to a new SATA Drive?
>
> --
> Bad Head ;)
> --
> System Specs:
> OS: Windows XP Pro SP1
> RAM: 1GB DDR400
> CPU: AMD 2500+
> Chipset: VIA (4-in-1 Driver: 4.51)
> Main Board: Gigabyte GA-7VT600 1394 (BIOS F4)
> Graphics: Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800Pro (Catalyst 4.10)

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I have PowerQuest DriveImage 2002. How is that
with SATA Drives?

--
Bad Head ;)