Need Help with Sysprep and Multiple Computer Models

a b \ Driver
May 14, 2004 1:51:03 AM

On our college campus, currently we have multiple Ghost images for differnt computer lab. We are trying to use one Ghost image for all machines as we only use Dell Platforms (although multiple models). We then plan to push everything else using msi packages.

The current hang up with using Sysprep and deploying across multiple machine model. While we have success using with the old models, as XP comes with all the nessecary drivers, we are having problems with the newer models (Dell GX260's and GX270's) that we must specify drivers for.

This is certainly do to my lack of knowledge using the sysprep tool. Here is what I have done so far.

- Use Setup Manager to create my answerfile.
- Create a $1 folder under the $OEM$ directory so that my path looks like C:\sysprep\$oem$\$1
- Next I created a drivers directory underneath the $1 so that the path is C:\sysprep\$oem$\$1\drivers
- Next I created a directory underneath drivers for each set I need installed, chipset, network adapter, Video card, and sound.
- I then placed the nessecary .inf files for each device in its specified directory.
- I then seal the computer using the PNP switch, Mini Setup, and pre-activiated.
- On boot up I then create the Ghost Image
- Next, using the newer machine, I load the newly created Ghost Image
- The new computer runs through the mini-setup, but does not install the updated drivers that I put in the above locations.

I'm kinda at a lose right now. I've read and read but don't know where I'm messing up. I'm not sure if its my directory layout or my answerfile. I'll include my answer file below. Any help would be greatly appreciated. School is out of sessoin now and we wanted to rollout out new images to labs starting on Monday, but I am running out of time to get this figured out.

-Jason Fellenbaum
Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology

Answer File:
;SetupMgrTag
[Unattended]
InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep\i386
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
OemPreinstall = Yes
OemPnPDriversPath=\Drivers\000_intel_chip;\Drivers\001_gigabit_LAN;\Drivers\002_video;\Drivers\003_sound

[GuiUnattended]
AdminPassword=cd047997c092b5f1aad3b435b51404ee582ca4ed42d3109ad9b6dfe2d1ea91b2
EncryptedAdminPassword=Yes
OEMSkipRegional=1
OEMSkipWelcome=1
TimeZone=35

[UserData]
ProductID= product id
FullName="Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology"
OrgName="Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology"

[Display]
BitsPerPel=32
Xresolution=1024
YResolution=768

[TapiLocation]
CountryCode=1
Dialing=Tone
AreaCode=717

[SetupMgr]
DistFolder=C:\sysprep\i386
DistShare=whistlerdist

[Identification]
JoinDomain=domain
DomainAdmin=domain\admin
DomainAdminPassword=password

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes
June 1, 2011 6:55:55 PM

Try:
  1. OemPnPDriversPath=%SystemDrive%\Drivers\000_intel_chip;%SystemDrive%\Drivers\001_gigabit_LAN;%SystemDrive%\Drivers\002_video;%SystemDrive%\Drivers\003_sound
June 1, 2011 7:58:28 PM

You do realise that you answered a question posted in 2004 ?
:-)
!