problems burning dvd's

I have recently purchased a lite-on 411s dvd +/- r/rw
drive. I am able to burn cd-r's no prob, but for some
reason it appears that xp doesn't recognize it as a dvd
player/burner? i can view a dvd in the drive but however
i cant use the "dvd-rom" only functions of the dvd
itself. i cant figure out how to burn dvd's either. i
have tried using a couple different programs to burn but
none work. i cant even use windows to burn, it won't
recognize any media. i've tried some memorex + r media &
some fuji - r media...every time every disc comes up as
saying no disc in drive or disc is full??? can you
help? thanks! ben
5 answers Last reply
More about problems burning

    Try using your Burner in another machine and see if you
    get the same problem...

    If not then try a reinstall of windows and then see if the
    problem still occurs...

    HTH

    James

    Hi, I also had a problem I could not solve on my own.
    My cd writer was not recognized by XP home edition.
    I posted my problem on Windows XP Hardware newsgroup, got one reply, but I didn't know
    how to implement the reply. In desperation I poked around my computer
    until I stumbled on Help and Support. I asked for support and in less then 24 hours
    they e-mailed a detailed step-by-step procedure, which solved my problem.
    Since my knowledge of computers is marginal, at best, it was important for me that the
    procedure was very detailed and did not assume that I know anything about computers.

    If you would like to get support to solve your problem, left click on:
    Start>Control Panel>Help and Support (on left panel)>>Get support (on right panel)>Get help from (on left panel)>>Ask support professional for help (on right panel), then answer a series of questions.

    All the best, Adam

    thanks for the help with the help & support, but it didnt
    work for me. for some reason it told me that they wont
    accept my product id, because it was a preloaded version
    of xp that came w/ my pc purchase??? is there any chance
    you have the documentation that was given to you to fix
    your problem? thanks...

    as for the response to the second issue...i dont have
    another pc to try to drive in unless there is a way to
    use an internal pc drive in a laptop (and the way being
    easy) i am kinda at a loss because as seen above i dont
    have a xp disc & thus i cant reinstall it. and my pc
    manufacturer states that they can not give me a copy of
    xp to reinstall xp, my only option would be to do a full
    restore...and without being able to backup files to my
    dvd's it would day weeks to do it to cd-rw and not to
    mention the hassle...is there any recourse???

    thanks so much...again...ben

    I have the same problem. My Sony DRU-500a DVD writer worked just fine under Windows 2000 Pro. Under Win XP Pro,it is recognized as a DVD writer, but it will only recognize CD media. Reloading the operating system does not help.

    Just a thought - and maybe a bit of straw-clutching - but is it necessary to
    turn off Write enable in Windows XP if you're using different software, e.g.
    Nero 6?

    Peter

    "ben bob" <benbob12345678@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I have recently purchased a lite-on 411s dvd +/- r/rw
    > drive. I am able to burn cd-r's no prob, but for some
    > reason it appears that xp doesn't recognize it as a dvd
    > player/burner? i can view a dvd in the drive but however
    > i cant use the "dvd-rom" only functions of the dvd
    > itself. i cant figure out how to burn dvd's either. i
    > have tried using a couple different programs to burn but
    > none work. i cant even use windows to burn, it won't
    > recognize any media. i've tried some memorex + r media &
    > some fuji - r media...every time every disc comes up as
    > saying no disc in drive or disc is full??? can you
    > help? thanks! ben

DVD Burner Windows XP