usb problems

My computer has 3 ports for usb memory sticks and one port for a compact flash card. The 2 ports for memory sticks and the port for the compact flash card do not function. I understand it could be a bios problem but then I suppose none of the ports would be functioning.
thanks in advance.
4 answers Last reply
More about problems

    Have you tried using a 5 port USB hub through one of the
    USB ports your using as it could be one of the USB ports
    could be faulty....

    Try this or try the problem device on another machine or a
    nother port and se what happens so we can narrow the
    problem down...

    HTH

    James

    What make/model is your computer? Are these ports original
    to the computer or are they added on? How are they
    connected...Is there a PCI card and a module in a drive bay
    or are they direct to the mobo?
    Have you looked in the device manager to see what is shown?
    Have you likewise looked at the BIOS?

    Without details any answers you get are just wild guesses.

    "walia" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    | My computer has 3 ports for usb memory sticks and one port
    for a compact flash card. The 2 ports for memory sticks and
    the port for the compact flash card do not function. I
    understand it could be a bios problem but then I suppose
    none of the ports would be functioning.
    | thanks in advance.

    computer make is micromaxx with an AMD athlon 2600 processor. All parts are original. I have checked the device management section and one of the usb ports is marked as being unable to start with an error code nr. 10. I have tried removing and then adding that particular port but that does not help. Thanks for any advice.

    Download and run a system scan program such as BelArc
    Advisor www.belarc.com or Lavaly's EVEREST
    http://www.lavalys.com/ and they will report what
    motherboard you actually have. You can then find the mobo
    manual on-line. The mobo might have the USB port disabled
    in the BIOS or it might be physically disconnected or
    shorted.

    | computer make is micromaxx with an AMD athlon 2600
    processor. All parts are original. I have checked the device
    management section and one of the usb ports is marked as
    being unable to start with an error code nr. 10. I have
    tried removing and then adding that particular port but that
    does not help. Thanks for any advice.

Compact Flash USB Memory Windows XP