"Device installer error": "Windows could not load the inst..

May 14, 2004 9:16:05 AM

I had 1 HDD on my computer and I decided to add a 2nd, equal to the 1st. Since I had other 5 equal HDD on the shelf, I thought I could use 1 for backup, then I installed a 2nd 1 and the problme below happened. I decided to put a 3rd HDD, and the problem persists...

I have 3 Maxtor 6E040L0 HDD on my computer running XP Pro (all updates done). They are Primary IDE Master and Slave and Seondary IDE Master. The Primary Master works fine and is identified by WinXP. The others 2 are correctly identified by bios, but Windows keeps showinf a box entitled "Device installer error" with the message: "Windows could not load the installer for Volume. Contact your hardware vendor for assistance". Also, a baloon pops up advising: "Found New Hardware" with the description "Volume".

I found many similar problems in forums, but no solutions.

Is WinXP could find the 1st HDD AND it is working fine, how can happen a problem with the others?

When I take the HDD that is not identified by WinXP home and put it in my computer, it works perfectly fine... ALso WinXP with all updates.

How can it be? here must be an inteligent way to deal with it, I hope...
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 1:50:40 PM

Alexandre,

Try connecting the second hard drive on it's own cable to the motherboard
and see if the problem persists. The problem may be with the first hard
drive's slave function.

Nospam

"Alexandre" <alexmotta@pobox.com> wrote in message
> I had 1 HDD on my computer and I decided to add a 2nd, equal to the 1st.
Since I had other 5 equal HDD on the shelf, I thought I could use 1 for
backup, then I installed a 2nd 1 and the problme below happened. I decided
to put a 3rd HDD, and the problem persists...

> I have 3 Maxtor 6E040L0 HDD on my computer running XP Pro (all updates
done). They are Primary IDE Master and Slave and Seondary IDE Master. The
Primary Master works fine and is identified by WinXP. The others 2 are
correctly identified by bios, but Windows keeps showinf a box entitled
"Device installer error" with the message: "Windows could not load the
installer for Volume. Contact your hardware vendor for assistance". Also, a
baloon pops up advising: "Found New Hardware" with the description "Volume".

> I found many similar problems in forums, but no solutions.
>
> Is WinXP could find the 1st HDD AND it is working fine, how can happen a
problem with the others?

> When I take the HDD that is not identified by WinXP home and put it in my
computer, it works perfectly fine... ALso WinXP with all updates.

> How can it be? here must be an inteligent way to deal with it, I hope...
October 21, 2010 6:29:47 PM

I just had this error when I plugged in a flash drive. Scratched my head and searched the forums. Then by chance I inserted a dvd in the dvd drive and got a message that the drives were ready (or something to that effect). I am now able to save files to the flash drive.